How does SL run with Core i5 and Nvidia 720m

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking to get a new light weight laptop. Want to know how SL will run on it before buying.

So is there anyone running SL with a Core i5 and Nvidia 720m laptop? How is it? How high up can the graphics setting go on it?

Please don't tell me to get a proper desktop, I already have one. No gaming laptop either, too heavy to carry around.

Greetings...:)

Nvidia 720m  is  one of the  Lowest performance graphics chips that Nvidia makes.  You would have use SL in Low graphics mode  in most situations especially if you use  the Linden Viewer as it is more graphics intensive than the 3rd party viewers.

There are many factors that determine the Frame rate you would get with this chip such as the enviroment where you are at in SL, (quantity of textures and and number of other Avatars), draw  distance setting, graphics mode.

If you want reasonable graphics for SL ...I would recommend  Nvidia 750M  as minium  for a laptop.  The value of the 2nd digit is the performance factor for Nvidia  graphic chips.

dd

I can´t tell for your exact combination, but as I know how hard it is to get laptop advice on SL without everyone wanting to convince you of a desktop (which you already have) and it might help for reference:

my last laptop had i5 and a 540m and ran ok on high setting mostly, my current one has i7 and 765m and runs fine on ultra mostly without lag. big difference, if ever possible I´d get one you can have shadows on with, it adds so much from my POV, but guess it depends on what you do in sl, I roleplay mainly. 

The NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M is an entry-level, DirectX 11 compatible graphics card that has been announced in spring 2013. Its core is based on the 28nm GF117 chip (Fermi architecture) with 64-bit DDR3 memory. Compared to the 710M, the GT 720M is clocked slightly higher.

It is actually a rather shabby little alibi card, so the manufacturers can boast about having Nvidia graphics while it's in fact hardly any better than Intel graphics. And by now it's fairly outdated anyhoo.

Hi Charli,

As Jean warns, don't trust the "Gaming" moniker. I've also seen "Gaming" laptops with integrated graphics that would probably collapse under the weight of all but the simplest video games.

Here's a searchable table of graphics system benchmark data.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

The benchmark tests are only a crude indicator of SL performance (because they are not SL), but they're better than nothing. The 720m scores 568. I think current Intel i5 processors have HD 4000 series graphics hardware, so they'd score in the same vicinity.

The NVIDIA website hardware page shows all currently shipping graphics chips...

http://www.geforce.com/hardware

Some of the entries will list shipping notebook computers carrying those chips. it's a hit or miss way to find one, but if you open each chip's page, you may find links to computers carrying the chip. Here's an example page for the GT650M (which scores 1292).

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-650m

At this moment, NVIDIA's website gets hung "...downloading data..." when I try to see the list of computers. Maybe that'll fix itself later.

Happy hunting!

i have a i3 and a GT230M laptop. It goes on Basic Shaders ok. Draw distance 64m. Ok meaning 7-8 FPS when on the ground and is a reasonable amount of content. Like in a shop. 10-12 when is lighter than reasonable content-wise. 3-5 FPS when is heaps of avatars and lots of content. 18-24 FPS up in the skiy and is just me and not much else content-wise to render

a i5/720M combo wont give you anything much more than this I dont think. Maybe only 2-3 frames more. if that

ps

as a realtime test then I can play on the Linden Realms on my lappy and go as good as on my desktop playing the game, bc of how the content on the Realms is made. Other places not so good bc of how that content is made

go as good meaning while my FPS is way lower than on my desktop I can still play the realms game and sweep the crystals on it just as good. Like the extra FPS on my desktop dont give me any extra advantage in that game

I take any laptop with a Nvidia card with second number 5 or above as gaming laptops 750m,760m,850m,860m etc

Might get the Lenovo Y50

Processor4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

Operating systemWindows 8.1 64

Display15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare Backlight (1920x1080)

GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB

Memory8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

Hard DriveHybrid 500GB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD

Optical DriveNone

Network CardIntel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

BluetoothBluetooth Version 4.0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.