Could this teach me how to script ??? in possibly 2016 or 2017 ??

Splatulated

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

as a way for firsttimers to learn logic and flow then I think is pretty cool

the picklist drag/drop way has been available for quite a few years in other apps including business apps

but I quite like how the writer uses shapes and color to make it quite fun. For a sandbox tool/game and for their audience then I think is a pretty good way they intend to do it

if look at the gif linked to by OP then can see that what the makers of this are proposing is a event-driven state engine/paradigm. This paradigm is also what powers LSL

syntatically the makers of this are proposing javascript syntax. Once people new to programming understand the paradigm (and how logic and flow works within the paradigm as designed) then syntax is the least part of programming

+

a other interesting thing about this is that is pretty much what LL started with in the Linden World alpha in the way back (2001 about). Where to change the inworld environment then did it by applying physical forces. Terraforming being the best known example of that early pioneering work

also LW had procedural generation of stuff back then also

is a vid here about that :

+

SL never evolve this way tho technically

i think it had more to do with the state of broadband in those days that any other one reason. Like just not fast enough for real time back in the day

but given the since advances in broadband speed and much more powerful gfx rendering and phys calc today, is hope for the concepts shown in the LW vid making it into the new platform LL is working on. Well i hope there is hope

+

it wont be primatar in the new like in the old old. but meshatar most defo

Didn't someone get Scratch working for LSL, in a limited way?

There was also Mice on a  beam, if I got the name correct. More of a mature product, and commercial. It produces LSL code, was made for in world and by an SLer.

Uh, yeah I guess the goal would be to learn programming, and event driven programming is sort of it.

Back in the day it was Logo, instructions to get controllers to work with a box that controlled lego motors (and mechanisms made from lego with it) as well as simplistic logic gate that could be joined togethe with metal screw down thingies. Not as fun as this though, I bet it makes a million game programmers and game programming becomes the lowest paid job on earth lol.

Not to mention Unity 3D game makiing. Who needs serious STEM degrees anyway! Well, that's not true because Unity has a Pro version that lets you optimize and expand on the offering so you have more power. I bet all the profitable game makers use that version.

Poenald Palen wrote:

... a Pro version that lets you optimize and expand on the offering so you have more power

with these kinds of things then so long as there is a option to drop down into plain text editor then is all good

is a bit like code-completion and auto-correct facilities. Is pretty useful this but sometimes is a pain. Like stuff gets a bit overhelpful sometimes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.