Faulty Physics

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure that it has anything to do with a builder's choice.  I have run into that problem in houses created by some very talented builders who know their way around mesh physics much better than I do.  It seems independent of the size or L.I. of the building and its physics model, and it can be annoyingly inconsistent.  I have recently done some work in a house that won't let me rez things at some spots but has no trouble in others.  I can always cam down to the ground under the house to rez objects and lift them into position, but never rez them in those specfic problem spots.  If you ever figure it out, Chic, I'd love to know the answer.

Pamela Galli wrote:

It is really annoying when more and more content is 100% mesh. I just rez things on top of a cube or on the ground and drag them into the house.

I dont see any discussion in the JIRA about plans to fix the problem.

It seems at least from the JIRA's I've looked at recently it is rare to see any discussion except for details on how to duplicate the problem.

Feature requests may get a little more with people trying to convince LL it's a good idea.

Same may be true for people involved in projects like the Experience tools.

But Bug Reports themself sinply get moved to "triaged" it seems.

"Drongle like Google knows "almost" everything."

Ha! Do you know the saying "The more you know, the more you know how much you don't know"?

I don't think Google knows anything itself. I think it just tells you who it thinks does?

Anyway, this is one bug I never came across. So consequently I know absolutely nothing about it!

:matte-motes-confused:

LOL. Well poooh on you! :D

I have never had it happen in any of my buildings -- even the all mesh ones, so it seems like somewhere along the way a physics choice was made incorrectly.

Since you taught me well ( I really STILL don't understand when and when not to analyse but seem to do OK without that exact knowledeg)  I guess I will just rez on the ground or on a carpet or a prim. It is indeed "name" builders with the problem, not new folks so I don't know what to say.

Oh well. And I do agree that Google only "leads" it does not "instruct" :D

I make completely mesh builds with no issues, so it can't be "just" the 100% mesh thing. :D. Something else is going on along the way. If we only knew. My gut feeling is that instead of a physics model people are letting the uploader determine things. No proof of course.

I've had the same problem on a simple mesh plane with the same plane uploaded as the physics model as well. Lots of times I got the message that the owner of the parcel (me) doesn't allow me to rez the object. usually moving over a few meters fixed it. I think I had the physics type set to convex hull, I haven't tried to see if setting it to prim makes a difference. anyone?

Chic Aeon wrote:

I make completely mesh builds with no issues, so it can't be "just" the 100% mesh thing.
:D
. Something else is going on along the way. If we only knew. My gut feeling is that instead of a physics model people are letting the uploader determine things. No proof of course.

That's a decent guess. The house I'm dealing with at the moment, though, was built by a modeler who always takes care in creating his own LOD models and physics models.  I doubt that he trusted the uploader to do any of the work, but I'll ask.

Well actually there are two separate (although possibly related) issues.

ONE rezzes things in the middle of the room (one one grid - not here at least not that I have seen) while here sometimes things rez below the floor or some other odd place.

The OTHER is the simple "cannot place object at that location"  and you have to rez on another object or on the ground and drag it into the house.

I haven't seen the "cannot rez because the owner doesn't allow it" in many many months although I own the land I am usually rezzing on (in that past that didn't help of course) :D.

If your guy always makes his own physics models than it doesn't seem like that would be the issue in HIS case anyway.  It also might be (just postulating) that the builds in question are uploaded as joined (enclosed) models and not in sections. I normally upload in modular parts to save on land impact and to give folks a little bit of mod rights on their "mod" build. So the roof would be separate etc.

And here I thought someone KNEW the answer LOL.

EDIT: While you are asking :D see if he uploads in sections or an enclosed house.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.