Old no-copy item collectors? Are there any?

lucagrabacr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Are there any? I was wondering about this when I saw a transferable no-copy covered-painting was on sale at a yard sale yesterday. Like, are there people who hunt for these kind of items that was made many years ago as collections? It would be interesting to imagine someone on SL who has a mini-museum in their SL house which is packed with no-copy transferable items from many years back :matte-motes-big-grin:

Not that I have heard of.

But it sounds like a really good idea. Perhaps someone should set up an auction house in SL for such items? With some properly defined structure and a "market-maker" such things can take off.....:catsurprised:

Anything to grow the economy of SL is a good thing I think :matte-motes-grin:

Most people go to yard sales to get a bargain.  Collecting and displaying old things would be difficult as some are very prim heavy and you'd need lots of land to display them, so most would have to be kept it in inventory.  Most of the collections I've seen involve artwork made by artists that sold their original art, or items you wear.

I collected jewelry made by Random Calliope, mostly his limited editions and know many others did at the time.  He is no longer in SL and has been gone for years, but he made jewelry from regular prims before there were sculpts or mesh and his work was amazing.  He didn't use any textures in his creations but they were spectacular none the less.  He was a true artist and master of jewelry making.  Many times he'd make things to give away for free or for some of SL's first hunts, or to benefit various charities.  I still wear the jewelry he made that I own and always get compliments on it.  You can google him to see pictures of some of his creations.

markkemp wrote:

Not that I have heard of.

But it sounds like a really good idea. Perhaps someone should set up an auction house in SL for such items? With some properly defined structure and a "market-maker" such things can take off.....:catsurprised:

Anything to grow the economy of SL is a good thing I think :matte-motes-grin:

That would be a great idea :matte-motes-big-grin:I don't think I've ever seen anything like that on SL (afaik)

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Most people go to yard sales to get a bargain.  Collecting and displaying old things would be difficult as some are very prim heavy and you'd need lots of land to display them, so most would have to be kept it in inventory.  Most of the collections I've seen involve artwork made by artists that sold their original art, or items you wear.

I collected jewelry made by Random Calliope, mostly his limited editions and know many others did at the time.  He is no longer in SL and has been gone for years, but he made jewelry from regular prims before there were sculpts or mesh and his work was amazing.  He didn't use any textures in his creations but they were spectacular none the less.  He was a true artist and master of jewelry making.  Many times he'd make things to give away for free or for some of SL's first hunts, or to benefit various charities.  I still wear the jewelry he made that I own and always get compliments on it.  You can google him to see pictures of some of his creations.

But what if some of those old prim heavy things might worth thousands of lindens? :smileyvery-happy: 

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

where do you go for yard sales ?

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Random's work was stunning.  I have a few pieces of his mens jewelry.  I also helped a friend a few times on his Butterfly hunts.

My personal opinion is that there isn't another jeweler in SL who comes close to Random's artistry.

I'll post a link to his work:  

http://randomcalliope.blogspot.com/

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I collected jewelry made by Random Calliope, mostly his limited editions and know many others did at the time. .............  I still wear the jewelry he made that I own and always get compliments on it.  You can google him to see pictures of some of his creations.

Back in 2008, I was given some Random Calliope jewerly by Tayzia Abattoir, and I still wear it!   : )

There are other creators too, that people in SL collect. 

Funnily enough I was thinking about this the other day. I've loads of inventory gear that I haven't seen available on the grid for years, of all kinds of perms. Old Warhead and Rebel-produced clothes, novelty and downright weird items, and the (then) mandatory box of 244 copybotted hair-dos. I even have a 'BLEEP the SLPD' tee - if you can remember those guys, you're ancient :matte-motes-sarcasm:

I don't purposely collect items, but I'm glad I kept hold of them - there really was a lot of amazing creativity pre-mesh era. I guess many of these creations didn't survive the transition from XStreet to Marketplace, plus many creators have left or withdrawn particular items. Plus, quite a few weapons got banned over the years. I suppose the closest we've got to a SL mini-museum is the sim with free copies of all Arcadia Asylum's creations. 

Arcadia Asylum  !!!   omgee wow imagine if that person came back and delt 

with mesh ! even now years later those rooms and furnishings imo are unrivaled, and they are all now FREE !  i tell you there are ppl in SL  ( some still around some gone some just lurking lol )  that are so talented it is scary ! 

Why should I tell you, you may copy bot them!! :o Ok, I am joking here. But, yeah I have a few old Yamaha bikes. They did a whole thing where you had to drop in at certain times and collect them, only one per person. They are transferable. Also, a few peices of framed art. They where giveaways and collectable. The whole gallary is gone I think, they used to hold events. As far as buying them? Well, I am not sure the stuff I have is worth anything and have never heard anything so I am glad I didn't buy anything sometimes.

But, having said that. Starax. If you are not aware of him he made a magic wand full of stuff that would rez, it was animated to. Those wands where worth a bit back in the day, and his statues where renowned. I saw a place where they had them on display, they actually have a script in them that tracks who owns it or how many times it was sold, I can't remember. It sort of reminds me of a method one artist used, he put his finger nails into the paint so DNA testing could be done on his works! Can't beat that, but then again does he now burn his nail clippings, I mean if he made it to be famous? lol, imagine people spying on your trash looking for nail clippings and then auctioning off your art works and saying publicly they doubt it...darn, you just new it wasn't racoons right!?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.