Frame Rates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ok. I'm at 4000m, standing on a cube, and had my FPS at ~45. I set the MaxFPS to 30, as you suggested, but it didn't change my framerate one bit. So I relogged to the same place, just in case it needed it to take effect, and my framerate was in the 70s, where it stays as long as the viewer has the focus. So setting the MaxFPS in the current LL viewer doesn't have any effect. At last not for me.

In Firestorm viewer there are two separate debug settings: one for setting and one for locking the fps.

MaxFPS

FSLimitFrameRate

MaxFPS sets the desired frame rate (but it does not lock - by itself - the frame to this value).

FSLimitFrameRate locks the frame to the value given in MaxFPS [values are: True/False].

In Linden Lab viewer there is only MaxFPS. It appears that Linden Lab forgot something in their viewer - the result being that MaxFPS does nothing useful in their viewer.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ok. I'm at 4000m, standing on a cube, and had my FPS at ~45. I set the MaxFPS to 30, as you suggested, but it didn't change my framerate one bit. So I relogged to the same place, just in case it needed it to take effect, and my framerate was in the 70s, where it stays as long as the viewer has the focus. So setting the MaxFPS in the current LL viewer doesn't have any effect. At last not for me.

right, a contributed patch pushed "MaxFPS" into the setting files for the LL viewers, but no code to use it was given.

there is another debug setting, YieldTime, that will work after a relog. it also inserts sleeps and throttles the viewer much like MaxFPS would, if it really existed.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Yeah, it was a similar question and was posted
as a response to my own wish for frame rate limiting.

Dillon goes on to say that she has difficulty getting a response from MaxFPS, but Madeline seems fine doing so. I don't think either (except Sassy, on FS) provide their ViewerIDs.

I use Firestorm. On my first attempt I set a maximum frame rate but neglected to enable the MFR feature, so my setting was ignored. All better now. I am enjoying SL at 29 scintillating frames per second, as the fans on my graphics card rotate lazily in the gentle air.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I am enjoying SL at 29 scintillating frames per second, as the fans on my graphics card rotate lazily in the gentle air.

Good to hear. Fan speeds should be like bicycle wheels, running free down a hill. :)

Thanks Obvious and Coby, great points as always.

maxfps.JPG

Phil Deakins wrote:

They managed it with Firestorm but the word in that thread is that it has no effect in the LL viewer, which is what I found.

With a bit of luck, Sassy won't read this thread and discover that I made that gender mistake
:/

I just looked at this in the Official Viewer.

I'm not sure what the phrase "Yield some time, etc" means nor which way to go (up or down) with this setting.  It is at default in this screen shot.

Perrie Juran wrote:

maxfps.JPG

Phil Deakins wrote:

They managed it with Firestorm but the word in that thread is that it has no effect in the LL viewer, which is what I found.

With a bit of luck, Sassy won't read this thread and discover that I made that gender mistake
:/

I just looked at this in the Official Viewer.

I'm not sure what the phrase "Yield some time, etc" means nor which way to go (up or down) with this setting.  It is at default in this screen shot.

-1 means no limit, so the way is up - except that, as has been said, it has no effect whatsoever.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.