Half of my inventory, gone!!

Carolyna Bikergrrl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi guys!

All of over sudden, at a relog, my inventory has about 10,000 items missing! Many many many folders are only empty now and without any warning or notice. They only thing I did different lately was cleaning my hard disk. Thats the only thing I can attribute to it. You have any ideas where theycould be gone and more than anything, how I could get them back...? If its because of my cleaning, why those items and not others? Thanks guys to be there

Just some general info I was given by a Linden when I was an SL mentor. You avi is actually on 3 different servers every time you log in. One server has your basic avatar, your account info and the library stuff. The second has the inventory you aquire as your flit about SL. The third is the server the region you are in resides on. When everything is working perfectly (haha), you are connected to all 3 when you log in. If they aren't you get various errors.

If you don't connect up to the server with your inventory on it, then you appear as a cloud. The reason your character test gets rid of the cloud and replaces it with a Ruth is that the Ruth is in the inventory we are all issued. If you log in and get moved, generally means that you can't be connected to the server the region you were in and are moved to one of the default welcome area locations. If you get a partial connection, you may not have access to all of your personal inventory. It is still there on the server, you just can't get to it. Kind of like you are in your house and you can't get the door open to your bedroom. Your stuff is still there, you just can't get to it. Clearing your cache forces the server your avatar is on to redo the communications, kind of like climbing through the window you left open to get to your stuff.

The servers sometimes don't communicate well with each other either. How many times have you tried to teleport from one place to another and can't. You then TP to a different location and you can get where you wanted to go without a problem. Kind of like having to go a different way to the store because the main road is under construction or there's an accident.

Hope this info helps.

Message was edited by: Tempest LefevreOne thing I forgot..your 3 servers may also be in several different cities, though not as bad as it used to be since they moved the servers in San Francisco to Texas. This means any hiccups in the internet connections between the 3 servers will also cause you problems.

"I’m sending alerts about these problems  (missing/lost/disappeared items) to residents and the funny thing is  that I got a message from Ansariel Hiller:

"now stop whining  and spamming the Forums and get over it!"

Allow me to jump on the bandwagon, seems the only thing that keeps getting lost is your credibility.

How serious are people supposed to take someone, who can't follow the forum guidelines and gets their posts deleted daily?  How much credibility does one have when a/ they can't follow the rules here, have no intention of doing so, and b/ will happily abuse the moderation process to suit their own personal agenda.  If a person is entirely willing to spam the people here daily, hijack other peoples threads in the belief your issues are more important than their own, post a "warn other residents about missing items" reply to a thread where missing items were recovered, post links citing 'missing items were never recovered' when i know for a fact the person I helped did get their items back... how much 'support' for your cause are you hoping to gain?

LL will not refund your money and told you straight out that sometimes things get deleted from the main database... is it there fault or your fault you ignored that when you signed up for your account.  For all we know you did something incorrect and lost these items by your own hand, albeit just like people who gets speeding tickets nobody ever says 'it was my fault' and your credibility is kinda suffering due to how you've handled this thus far.  In continuing to rally for your missing items and spamming us all in some misguided notion you're doing us all a favor... be careful you yourself don't disappear for abusing the forums and moderation process.  This issue is between you and LL, why don't you keep it that way.

Signed, someone who's been inworld for years and can count his transactions in the hundreds - every one of those being sucessful.  What has gone missing or undelivered was solved to my complete satisfaction and should the day ever arrive when something does go bad, i'll suck it up and deal with it without being a pain in everyones butts about it.  Sh*t happens, accept it or move on, nobody's forcing you to login if you've been so badly treated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.