MP Lag

Nethya Emor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Honestly Nalates, the chances are that those thanking Ebbe for they MASSIVE PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS are likely plants or brown-nosers.  I didn't see any eye-popping improvement in the MP - maybe others did.

But again, even if they fixed MP performance, that is the least critical of the issues on MP...  to me the disjointed transaction process is the most dangerous whereby a customer can buy our product, LL can be paid, and yet the merchant receives no payment - in fact has no record that the transaction has even happened.

And then insult to injury is when these failed transactions are discovered by the Merchant (only because an honest customer reported it to the Merchant),  LL Support's response to the merchant is "read the TOS... MP and all LL services are "AS IS" and we are not responsible for failed transactions in the MP - Sorry".

You can test marketplace lag and get an objective answer to page performance by using something like http://tools.pingdom.com

I ran a test a few times, it seems hit or miss. A few weeks ago I was measuring 30 seconds or more to load marketplace.

What I'd really like to see is an A/B test done with existing marketplace design and then a really simple, sleek one that more resembles google home page. A simple search box, tools to search if you do some clicking, and that's the end of it. marketplace more closely resembles something like amazon right now.

What I am curious is if a lightweight, fast loading website would increase sales enough to make up for the lost income from selling advertisements. I have an odd feeling looking at my sales data and comparing them to how well the marketplace is loading that sales would increase significantly if marketplace was faster loading.

It seems like, specially with the inclusion of google ads on marketplace, that the SLMP website is only being looked at in a short range (I'm tired and can't think of the right word) perspective.

Marketplace is the primary gateway to the content of Second Life. Most other games would absolutely kill for the amount of content Second Life has. And yet LL's objective with SLMP seems to be to maximize profits on the page itself instead of using it as a tool to keep users engaged and to provide them with content to keep logging in after 30 days.

I've been hoping to see it transition from just a place for LL to push advertisements and charge for promotions into something where selling as many things as possible works out best for merchants because it ends up with more money in their pockets and it works better for LL because they can keep new users engaged in new content.

The fact that there are so many people who try Second Life and then leave saying "I didn't know what to do! It was empty and I didn't have anything" is sort of ridiculous when the main content repository is (nearing?) 3 million items.

Look at a game like League of Legends. People pay big money for skins becaue it's really easy to access. It's something you can just impulse buy. And comparing the amount of content in what you can do to an avatar in Second Life is massively larger than your options in a game like LoL.

Marketplace's sole purpose should be to make it as easy as possible for people to find what they are looking for as fast as possible. If you want to grab people's attention for impulse buys, that feature should be quarantined into a different section of the website. Sort of like how google has the "I'm feeling lucky" button.

Flea Yatsenko wrote:

Marketplace's sole purpose should be to make it as easy as possible for people to find what they are looking for as fast as possible. If you want to grab people's attention for impulse buys, that feature should be quarantined into a different section of the website.
Sort of like how google has the "I'm feeling lucky" button.

(Bolding mine)

I've always been a bit hesitant to click that Google button.  I have this mental image of my entire PC exploding. :matte-motes-agape:

I just finished doing some shopping on the MP and trying to clean up my "favorites" list a bit.  Ugh!  I almost gave up it was SO SLOW!!!!  They really need to do something to fix that.  It wasn't that way at all not all too long ago...so I know that it isn't something that we should have to just live with.  Please please please, Fix it!!

I can confirm complaints from customers about marketplace slowness thru friday. they are just giving up shopping. not only slowness, but other wierd things happening. I have filed a case with customer support but am told they can not communicate this problem to the web team. Insisting I file a jira. once again I wonder why cuatomer support is being paid.

• Resident

We're aware of Marketplace slowness and are working on several initiatives to address the issues and improve Marketplace performance. Some early fixes have already been implemented, but more improvements will be coming soon. Once we've completed the shorter-term fixes (which should be in the next couple of weeks) we have planned, we'll blog to share additional details.

Well its awesome and dare I even say refreshing sign to see CTL posting in the Merchant forums.   I hope this is another signal that the "Ebbe Linden - LL must be more transparent" is reaching the CTL.  Good news.

In the air of increased transparency CTL, may I ask you (on behalf of the other merchants participating in this trhead) to please provide more details and/or elaborate on what some of the primary LAG issues are with MP that you are aware of and plan to rectify?  We know RonR is not a scalable platform for the scale of deployment LL has placed MP on.  Are you looking on migrating to a new platform?  Are there some fundamental components that are undersized and you plan to replace?  Bugs you are aware of and have now been mandated by Ebbe to focus on?

Please enlighten us with more details as to what are these MP Lag issues and how you plan to rectify them.

Will CTL also be addressing the fundamental flaw in the MP transaction processing that allows a customer to receive a product, LL to get their commission, and the Merchant completely unaware that a transaction happened?

Thank you in advance for this information.

CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

We're aware of Marketplace slowness and are working on several initiatives to address the issues and improve Marketplace performance. Some early fixes have already been implemented, but more improvements will be coming soon. Once we've completed the shorter-term fixes (which should be in the next couple of weeks) we have planned, we'll blog to share additional details.

Wow, communication.  I am hopeful this is a sign that Ebbe is putting his stamp on things, and that the stamp is what he said it would be.

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.