How do I open up a box without dropping it?

Vaase

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know there are certain box's that you get when you click on them they give you the item. But I remember once getting a box and when I wore it on my right hand hovered over it with my mouse cursor the "opening box symbol appeared" and I was able to left click on it and it brought up the list of items the box contained with the "copy to inventory" and the "Copy and wear" options. I didn't have to drop the box or rez it in the world I was able to do it while it was on my avatar. But when I try it with others It does not do it. Why is it I was able to do it with one box but not any others?

Vaase wrote:

I know there are certain box's that you get when you click on them they give you the item. But I remember once getting a box and when I wore it on my right hand hovered over it with my mouse cursor the "opening box symbol appeared" and I was able to left click on it and it brought up the list of items the box contained with the "copy to inventory" and the "Copy and wear" options. I didn't have to drop the box or rez it in the world I was able to do it while it was on my avatar. But when I try it with others It does not do it. Why is it I was able to do it with one box but not any others?

You were able to do this because the creator/merchant used a script specifically designed for this purpose.

It really would be awesome if they all diid this!

ETA, if you need to unpack a box while wearing it you can choose 'edit' the box and manually drag the contents into your inventory.  A hassle sometimes but a workable alternative.

Vaase wrote:

Oh I see, Yeah too bad more people dont do that. Hate having to go to sandbox's 

You can find other more peaceful places to unpack boxes.  Just need to keep your eyes open as you're out and about SL.  Just always be certain to clean up after yourself (pick up the boxes).

Wouldn't wearing the box, right-clicking and choosing Open> "Copy to Inventory" from the menu solve the problem?    The only reason the box opens when you left click it is that the seller has set Open as the default click action.   That can be set by script but can just as easily be set from the editor (first panel).

Kelli May wrote:

I was just wondering if it was worth keeping an unpack script to drop into attached boxes, to save having to make the folder myself. But it turns out the boxes I tried it with were all no-mod. 

I think no mod will be par for course for most packages/boxes.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Wouldn't wearing the box,
right
-clicking and choosing Open> "Copy to Inventory" from the menu solve the problem?    The only reason the box opens when you
left
click it is that the seller has set Open as the default click action.   That can be set by script but can just as easily be set from the editor (first panel).

You don't get the "open" option when wearing.  At least not in Firestorm.  I just tried with my own full perm box I packed some items in.

Vaase wrote:

Im pretty sure you get the "open" option when wearing some box's because its happned to me in the normal viewer 

It may require the addition of a script. 

I don't have time now to play with it more but when I do I will.

Or maybe someone will beat me to it.

We are talking here specifically about the right click/open with out a script. 

Not the left click response to a script.

Innula is far more knowledgeable about scripts than I am so she may have more info to add.

Looks like I was mistaken.   There's no way I can get an attached object to open, though I could have sworn I've seen it in the past.  But clearly not.

The only way, apart from using Open>Copy to Inventory (which seems only to be an option if you can rez the prim), to create a folder and make everything transfer to it, is to use llGiveInventoryList, but that only works if the items the script is giving are copiable by the owner of the prim (and therefore everything inside it) at the time the script tries to give them.

So llGiveInventoryList works for things sold copy/no transfer but not for transfer/no copy.

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

open isn't available for attached objects, 

Do we have any idea why this shouldn't work?

I don't see how it would be confusing for the user, whereas not working causes confusion aplenty as we see here.

And compared to "Drop", "Open" couldn't add that much complexity to constructing the context-appropriate menu for attachments.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Thanks. And that's apparently correct: Gearsawe Stonecutter
for this, and it's awaiting review.  Since 2007.

Am I understanding that JIRA correctly that it only needs implemented in the Viewer in order to work?

Or does something need to be done Server side also?

I just tried adding this open option to skins/default/xui/en/menu_attachment_self.xml on a current LL viewer. The syntax is slightly different since 2007 so a copy is at the bottom of the post.

it appears that the open dialog still handles attachments all right, even doing the correct thing for no copy contents, so no major viewer changes are needed.

this is for Second Life Release 3.7.1.286567, but I don't think this file has changed in a while.

please if you test this with no copy contents, use something free or cheap you don't care about. it works for me but ...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes" ?><context_menu layout="topleft" name="Attachment Pie">    <menu_item_call     enabled="false"     label="Touch"     layout="topleft"     name="Attachment Object Touch">        <menu_item_call.on_click         function="Object.Touch" />        <menu_item_call.on_enable         function="Object.EnableTouch"         name="EnableTouch"/>    </menu_item_call>    <menu_item_call     enabled="false"     hidden="false"     label="Open"     layout="topleft"     name="Open">        <menu_item_call.on_click         function="Object.Open" />        <menu_item_call.on_enable         function="Object.EnableOpen" />    </menu_item_call>    <!--menu_item_call     label="Stand Up"     layout="topleft"     name="Stand Up">        <menu_item_call.on_click         function="Self.StandUp"         parameter="" />        <menu_item_call.on_enable         function="Self.EnableStandUp" />    </menu_item_call-->    <menu_item_call     enabled="false"     label="Edit"     layout="topleft"     name="Edit...">        <menu_item_call.on_click         function="Object.Edit" />        <menu_item_call.on_enable         function="EnableEdit" />    </menu_item_call>    <menu_item_call     enabled="false"     label="Detach"     layout="topleft"     name="Detach">        <menu_item_call.on_click         function="Attachment.Detach" />        <menu_item_call.on_enable         function="Attachment.EnableDetach" />    </menu_item_call>  <menu_item_separator    layout="topleft" />    <menu_item_call     label="Sit Down"     layout="topleft"     name="Sit Down Here">        <menu_item_call.on_click         function="Self.SitDown"         parameter="" />        <menu_item_call.on_enable         function="Self.EnableSitDown" />    </menu_item_call>  <menu_item_calllabel="Stand Up"layout="topleft"name="Stand Up">    <menu_item_call.on_click     function="Self.StandUp"     parameter="" />    <menu_item_call.on_enable     function="Self.EnableStandUp" />  </menu_item_call>  <menu_item_call  label="My Appearance"  name="Change Outfit">    <menu_item_call.on_click     function="CustomizeAvatar" />    <menu_item_call.on_enable     function="Edit.EnableCustomizeAvatar" />  </menu_item_call>  <menu_item_call label="Edit My Outfit"layout="topleft"name="Edit Outfit">    <menu_item_call.on_click     function="EditOutfit" />    <menu_item_call.on_enable     function="Edit.EnableCustomizeAvatar" />  </menu_item_call>  <menu_item_call label="Edit My Shape"    layout="topleft"    name="Edit My Shape">    <menu_item_call.on_click     function="EditShape" />    <menu_item_call.on_enable     function="Edit.EnableEditShape" />  </menu_item_call>  <menu_item_call    label="My Friends"    layout="topleft"    name="Friends...">    <menu_item_call.on_click     function="SideTray.PanelPeopleTab"     parameter="friends_panel" />  </menu_item_call>  <menu_item_call   label="My Groups"   layout="topleft"   name="Groups...">    <menu_item_call.on_click     function="SideTray.PanelPeopleTab"     parameter="groups_panel" />  </menu_item_call>  <menu_item_call    label="My Profile"    layout="topleft"    name="Profile...">    <menu_item_call.on_click     function="ShowAgentProfile"     parameter="agent" />  </menu_item_call>  <menu_item_call label="Debug Textures"     name="Debug...">    <menu_item_call.on_click     function="Avatar.Debug" />    <menu_item_call.on_visible     function="IsGodCustomerService"/>  </menu_item_call>    <menu_item_call		 label="Dump XML"         name="Dump XML">            <menu_item_call.on_click             function="Advanced.AppearanceToXML" />            <menu_item_call.on_visible             function="Advanced.EnableAppearanceToXML"/>    </menu_item_call>  <menu_item_separator  layout="topleft" />  <menu_item_call enabled="false" label="Drop" layout="topleft" name="Drop">    <menu_item_call.on_click     function="Attachment.Drop" />    <menu_item_call.on_enable     function="Attachment.EnableDrop" />  </menu_item_call>  <menu_item_separator       layout="topleft" />  <menu_item_call     enabled="false"     label="Block Particle Owner"     name="Mute Particle">    <menu_item_call.on_click     function="Particle.Mute" />    <menu_item_call.on_enable     function="EnableMuteParticle" />  </menu_item_call></context_menu>

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.