SPAM from mmook.com

Cryptic Wonder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the last few weeks I have been receiving private messages spamvertising mmook.com, all from throw away accounts with names like jdfigjgcnb.

The contents of the messages are along the lines of "Hello ! Welcome to: www .mmook . com Buy Cheapest Linden Dollars . 5K Linden Dollars = 12.57"

I was wondering if anyone else has been receiving this spam?

Needless to say I haven't actually clicked on the link, as anyone who uses such underhand marketing methods is likely to be completely dishonest.

Which brings me to the point of this message, is there anyway to report private message spam to LL?

And how would LL go around having criminals like mmook.com shut down?

Thanks,

Crypt

You said you had been getting "private messages"; if by that you meant messages here or in your my.secondlife.com account then yes, you should report that to LL. I believe nobody can send you a PM here on the forum or in your my.secondlife.com feed without first having a Second Life account and if someone with an SL account is spamming you it's LL's business.

If you meant you were getting those messages in your email (I don't  think that's what you meant since you specifically said 'private messages') then no, there is nothing LL can do about that.

If they were in-world IMs, then I would have just filed abuse reports, but they are instead private messages sent from https://my.secondlife.com/inbox/messages which are then forwarded by LL to my email account.

Unfortunately LL doesn't seem to provide a way of flagging these private messages.

The message have been coming for a few weeks now, and are of course being sent from LL accounts, but these appear to be throw away accounts with names made up of random letter like jdfigjgcnb.

Ideally LL should be trying to have dishonest sites like mmook shut down, as just disabling the accounts that sent the spam would be ineffectual.

Interesting, it just occurred to me to do a whois on mmook.com, it is registered to : Lifang Li, Changzhou, China.

Crypt

LL won't do anything about it because you have the ability yourself to restrict Private Messages in the Privacy Settings of your Profile Feed to Friends Only, or could stop email notifications from your Profile Feeds entirely by changing the Notifications Settings.

Or you could leave things the way they are and just become a whinging masochist.

© The Judge

jujmental wrote:

Or you could leave things the way they are and just become a whinging masochist.

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today? or are you just a thoroughly unpleasant individual? Most likely the latter.

The point of raising this topic, is that hopefully LL will do something about the spam and even better will try and have mmook.com shut down.

But if not, at the very least, I would hope that this thread might act as a warning to others to avoid mmook who are by all accounts (google mmook.com) a bunch of thieves. and hopefully prevent a few people from falling prey to these scammers.

But of course, you are such a sourpuss that  only motivation you understand is the boost you get from putting others down - what a sad little individual you are.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

1) Click on offending/annoying email message.

2) select Mark as SPAM

End of problem.

Hi KarenMichelle,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately however as LL is the actual source of the email, marking the email as spam would effectively be reporting LL as the spammer.

Crypt.

I wrote earlier that they are just one email per alt so they'll soon stop, but that's not true. I'm receiving multiple emails per alt so they may not stop.

They are IMs, not PMs. I.e. they are inworld IMs to your alts. You can stop them by setting your alts not to receive IMs by email when they are not logged in. You'll still get saved IMs when the alts log in though, so it's not a cure.

It's very easy to have the email client delete them too, by creating an email client Rule that deletes any email with mmook in the content.

They are sent from various SL account names, so LL can't deal with it by banning accounts. They may be able to not accept any IMs that contain certain words like 'mmook', or something lik that, so it may be worth doing what's already been suggested and contact LL about it. Personally, I'm just going to create a Rule in my email client that sends them to my Junk folder.

Like many of you I'm sure, I too have been getting this spam from mmook.com.

For you Phil they are IM's to alts; but that is not my own experience.

In my case, they are PM's on my profile feed on my.secondlife (or whatever it is called...) - they are then forwarded as e-mails by Linden Lab because I have never bothered to configure my settings there.

( I have now, but it is an aggravation in a feature I never normally bother with ...)

To be honest, I don't use feeds so I know very little about them. I've assumed that they are IMs. When I said they are not PMs, I meant that they are not forum PMs, which they are not. Forum PMs are the only PMs I know about, so they may be only on feeds. I'll have to log an alt in to make sure what they are for me.

ETA: I logged in my alts that I know have received them and they are all feed messages - not IMs.

Unfortunately nothing about fixing whatever security exploit they are using to make the feed message box useable again as a contact method for people not on your friendslist. I have had to turn that off because I have been getting regular in world notifications. 10 messages in the last day

Aethelwine wrote:

Advice related to this here

community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/An-Important-Reminder-About-Buying-and-Selling-L/ba-p/2334937

Sorry my phone doesn't seem to do links right

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/An-Important-Reminder-About-Buying-and-Selling-L/ba-p/2334937

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.