Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nuhai Ling

Submit your priority list for Project Interesting here...

17 posts in this topic

This made me laugh...

According to a recent post from Linden Lab about Project Interesting, they have already applied "... a set of improvements to how the Viewer and server work together to know what scene objects to draw. We’ve already made the server smarter about sending the important, "interesting" stuff first..."

Who else would have loved to attend the Linden Lab meeting when they decided what was "interesting" (second only to the day when they made the "Naughty Word List" a few years ago)?!!! We will never know what was said behind those closed and double-bolted doors but we can imagine!

What would top your list of  "rez first" things in Second Life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was a bit underwhelming.  Waiting a few extra seconds after TPing someplace for everything to rez isn't exactly an unbearable thing.

Having the option (option!) to cache an entire sim sounds interesting though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Nuhai Ling wrote:

This made me laugh...

According to a recent post from Linden Lab about Project Interesting, they have already applied "... 
a set of improvements to how the Viewer and server work together to know what scene objects to draw. We’ve already made the server smarter about sending the important, "interesting" stuff first..."

Who else would have loved to attend the Linden Lab meeting when they decided what was "interesting" (second only to the day when they made the "Naughty Word List" a few years ago)?!!! We will never know what was said behind those closed and double-bolted doors but we can imagine!

What would top your list of  "rez first" things in Second Life?

Boobies!

 

 

The last thing to rez should be clothes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's not as crazy as it sounds, actually. I'm not sure exactly where the project is at now, but the things previously done have been for an example:

Rezzing the objects and textures where your avatar is facing, first. Updating info about objects that you are facing, but ignoring the things behind you (that you don't see).

Rezzing textures and objects closest to where your camera is. That means when you move your camera, that is you "eye", and not where your avatar stands, etc.

 

it's been a great project so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes driving much more pleasant, there is something comforting about having the road appear before you're riding on it. Also super nice to have my house appear before all the laggy sculpty crap in the rest of the sim loads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Nuhai Ling wrote:

This made me laugh...

According to a recent post from Linden Lab about Project Interesting, they have already applied "... 
a set of improvements to how the Viewer and server work together to know what scene objects to draw. We’ve already made the server smarter about sending the important, "interesting" stuff first..."

Who else would have loved to attend the Linden Lab meeting when they decided what was "interesting" (second only to the day when they made the "Naughty Word List" a few years ago)?!!! We will never know what was said behind those closed and double-bolted doors but we can imagine!

What would top your list of  "rez first" things in Second Life?

Oh that's easy

EVERYTHING!

 

WHAT!!! She asked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Cerise Sorbet wrote:

It makes driving much more pleasant, there is something comforting about having the road appear before you're riding on it
. Also super nice to have my house appear before all the laggy sculpty crap in the rest of the sim loads.

Agreed. Would be even better if CONTROL_BACK, in vehicles, would work also though. :matte-motes-nerdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

arton Rotaru wrote:

Agreed. Would be even better if CONTROL_BACK, in vehicles, would work also though. :matte-motes-nerdy:

Details, details =D The mouse movement floater seems to be an OK workaround until they can fix that, and hopefully we will need less bakcing up if we can see where we are headed!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CONTROL_BACK flag in the control() event (llTakeControls()), in scripts, doesn't trigger when sitting on an object. It's already jirafied though. Whirly was so kind to file it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


arton Rotaru wrote:

The CONTROL_BACK flag in the control() event (llTakeControls()), in scripts, doesn't trigger when sitting on an object. It's already jirafied though. Whirly was so kind to file it.

Right. Again, it's only the keyboard. The workaround is to use Me>Movement>walk/run/fly, and click the mouse to send it from there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, I never tried to drive a vehicle with those :matte-motes-agape:. Since I never have these floaters on screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not the worst; fortunately you can use the mouse for reverse, and still use the keyboard for the left/rigth steering, and I can live with that for a week or two.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, driving forward with just the mouse floater I can steer left and right as well. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Brande Twine wrote:

where is the link to actually download the viewer... been looking everywhere????????????????

It's here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

Look at: Second Life Release Channel --> Second Life Interesting Viewer version 3.6.11.283895

 

Here is the direct link for download (for Windows) if you still don't see it:

http://download.cloud.secondlife.com/Viewer_3/Second_Life_3-6-11-283899_Project_FittedMesh_Setup.exe

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0