Question about camping chairs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I assume that this is the correct forum for this, but if it's not, please point me in the right direction. I'm wondering if it's possible to be kicked off of a camping chair. No, I'm not asking because I'd be a big enough jerk to do something like that. I'm wondering, because I was recently harrassed by someone (who I muted right away) who came in after I had been in a chair for a while. She kept threatening to steal my chair, and threw out various playground insults. I'm just wondering if this is something that I need to worry about if I'm camping. This particular incident happened at Grumble, if that helps at all. I'd like to think that I'm not wasting electricity by leaving my computer running long after some greedy jerkface has given me the boot.  Anyone know if this is possible? 

Thanks, and if this came off as a rant, I apologize, as this was not my intention.  

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Spunkypants

No one should be able to throw you off anywhere where you are sitting, unless they actually own the camping chair and its scripted to check you're not afk or a bot after 15 minutes.

I'd say though that its costing you more in electricity and general wear and tear on your computer than you'll be earning for camping.

You have nothing to apologise for. You weren't ranting, just asking.

That's a very good point, Marigold. I think this may be my first and last camping experience, as I'm not really sure that it's worth it. I don't know how I've managed to be on SL since 2006, and haven't explored camping until now. HA!  I'm stuck doing some stuff online tonight, so I thought I'd give it a go. But you're right; it doesn't really seem to be worth it. Thank you both for your responses. 

In the OLDEN days, like six or seven years ago you could actually make some pretty good money camping. But now the pay (that I have seen now and then by accident) is so very low it is definitely not worth it. You would be much better off to head over to the realms where you can actually make some money once you get the lay of the land :D

owner (and those they give rights to edit their stuff) can always kick you off by resetting the scripts in the chair :)

Land officers for the sim can also kick you out of the sim, which'd kick you from the chair as those tend to reset themselves a few minutes after someone stands (usually there's some grace period to account for relogging after a crash).

Just your regular visitor to the place? Nothing they can do except contact one of the above if they think you're abusing the thing (like on many places, there's a rule you're not allowed to be afk).

Spunkypants Klata wrote:

That's a very good point, Marigold. I think this may be my first and last camping experience, as I'm not really sure that it's worth it. I don't know how I've managed to be on SL since 2006, and haven't explored camping until now. HA!  I'm stuck doing some stuff online tonight, so I thought I'd give it a go. But you're right; it doesn't really seem to be worth it. Thank you both for your responses. 

If you are doing stuff online, as you said, then camping is definitely worthwhile. Whether or not it's worthwhile leaving your computer on to continue camping while you go out or to bed, depends on how much the camping is paying.

You'd need to keep an eye on the camping though because, as had been mentioned, camping systems tend to check that the camper is actually at the keyboard and isn't a bot. In the old days it didn't matter because camping existed for the traffic, but that's not allowed now and, apart from those who break the rules, camping exists for different reasons, and bots and afk people are not welcome and will be kicked off by the system itself.

• 5 months later...

Wow that sucks she sounds like a **bleep**. But unless she owns the land and the chairs she can't kick you off the chair but if your on chair for limited time. Watch incase she tries to jump in it I used to camp when I was new and some pepole would be round the chairs like vultures made me nerviouse and I had one eye on them and one on camp chairs drop down questions lol but do they still have camping in SL since I started buying Ls I have no need for these chairs now but omg love the lucky chairs and midnight mania boards

Yeah I mind those days lol. Like 5 every 20 mins And sometomes they didn't even cheack if you were a bot or not I used to leave Ava on camping overnight and go to bed in the morning I was mega rich lol last camping I seen was 2 years ago L1 per 40 mins omg and it kept asking questions every 5 mins I buy my Ls now but miss the old camping days also great way of making freinds talking to your fellow campers I still thave a lot on freinds list today I talk to but only camping in SL I do now is in a tent

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.