New Laptop Advice

Siofra Highmist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LOL, jibber-jabber for some, important info for others. It didn't need as hard look to find out this:

With a 17.3 screen this is a behemoth of a laptop, huuuuge and heavy. So it's really not that mobile anymore but a desktop replacement computer. I wouldn't take it on travels.

The Intel integrated HD chip is ok-ish for a multimedia pc but won't hardly cut it for SL use. Let's not forget SL is the hardest application to run for any machine. You won't get much joy from it.

The vendor Best Buy is of questionable reputation, so I hear. I'm not an American but I guess in your counttry it's known as a box-pusher who tries to look cheap - but really isn't.

In this price range you should well be able to find more a suiting pc.  If you're set deadbang on a laptop have a look at what other sellers have on offer. I hear Newegg is good and won't try to sell you chit. Look for a laptop with a real dedicated GPU from Nvidia's GTX series. Look for MSI GE or GT series laptops. They offer a better resolution 1080x1920 on a matte display (less reflections) and have better graphic chips built in. Also they are decently cooled so your poor lappy won't be fried in a long SL session. It will stil be a compromise for SL usage but better than most other laptops.

Go to Newegg.com

On right click on PC's and Laptops and go to Laptops/Notebooks

On the navigation bar to the left click on the advanced tab

Look for Graphic Card and choose Dedicated Card from the drop down menu

Then sort everything by price.

Here are a few items I found by searching there:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216539

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152464

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312833

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314182

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152463

Free shipping. You pay tax if you live in California. Even if you don't buy from Newegg you get the idea of exactly which laptops w/ graphics cards are available for your budget. You can shop around at other web sites for these models and see if you can get them cheaper.

You want a dedicated video card from Nvida or AMD/ATI. If you go to Newegg you'll see some really cheap laptops under $500 that have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M. Don't get those. Those are low-end graphics cards. Also keep an eye out for OPEN items. These can be higher end models but they were returned.

I would copy-paste the laptop card into google and go see what notebookcheck.net says about them. It says helpful things like:

The performance of the Radeon HD 8750M should be slightly below the GeForce GT 640M. Current and demanding games like Far Cry 3 should run (more or less) fluently in medium resolutions and detail settings.

I would go for a laptop with an Nvidia card. 

I would suggest you don't buy a laptop but a desktop if you already own one. Not saying SL doesn't run well on it because they definitely can, it's just that with a desktop there are many sites where you can build one for cheap and you have that nifty feature to upgrade :) If you still wanna buy one then I suggest you check out ibuypower. They have some pretty cheap laptops and alot of horsepower considering. I'm not totally sure on everything but just keep your eyes peeled for a good graphics card selection. I hear for nvidia that the numbers are like xyz(ex:760 where 7 is the model number, 6 is the horse power, and I'm not sure what z is.) Once you made a decision, run it by SL answers section of the forum to see how it would run SL. Also, don't just buy the computer for SL and consider what other programs you'll be using.

• 4 months later...

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Bernie

You might get grief, you might want grief, but from me you won't get it.

I still run Second Life on a Dell Inspiron 531 that my brother purchased in November 2007.  Its had extra memory put into it, and a better graphics card was installed three years ago (but this is now outdated).

Frame rate on average is 15, but more often around 7 - and yet, I really have enjoyed my Second Life. Would like to be able to have the option to make better quality photos, but its never felt like a life or death issue.

Only thing that prevents me from logging in these days as much as I would like to is real life commitments, and a lack of enthusiasm due to being a mesh-hating luddite.

• 5 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.