Graphics drivers crashed by grifer?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Finneli Felwitch wrote:

I just watched an avatar's rendering weight go from a small green highlighted number, to a red highlight of 45,170,092. My screen locked up and SL crashed, I got the graphics driver crash notification. I was able to get a print screen of it.

Am I able to post that screen shot here?

If you don't know how to post a picture, use the little icon with the tree between the chain links and the film strip to upload your picture in the post message box.

Why is it when I read about griefing in the forums that Freebie Galaxy is a common denominator?  I'd recommend people not go there.

ETA: Syo beat me to it.  There was someone about 6 months ago that was complaining about a particular type of griefing (some kind of following item) that was going on there and he was trying to educate people how to combat it.  I talked to him in world and my suggestion was just to "educate" people to not go there.

Finneli Felwitch wrote:

Problem is that those freebie places come in handy for new players, If you were to remove the freebie areas or if people were to not go to them, the greifers would just move to another place. 

They gather at those places, because they know they will meet nearly just new users or inexperanced people in general, which are far easier for them to attack. They would need to put more effort into their attacks, if they would move to a place where a more mixed crowd gathers.

Also not every freebie place gets watched over as much as regular places get. Many of those freebies (and the places they get sold from) where already old and existing, when my avatar Syo first opened her virtual eyes. I agree, that the freebies can be awsome for the newbies, if they don't have any better to wear at the moment. What would be perfect would be a help center, with freebie store and people who hang out there to help and protect the new people from griefers.

What I, when I get asked where to look for free stuff, I hand them a link to a well-known freebie blog and explain them how to look on the marketplace for free items or what a hunt is. Sometimes I even know a certain place that has free items. For example I know one store that has a monthly changing female skin as group gift.

Coby Foden wrote:

There are bebug settings in viewers which will make griefer's graphics crash attempts futile.

Look here for instructions (easy, nothing complicated to do):

Just out of interest...

I decided to set the settings that the link stated and this is what I found...

The LL viewer has the settings' values by default, so there's no need to do anything with the LL viewer.

Singularity doesn't have any of the settings' values by default, so they should be set.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.