Worlds FIRST Second Life viewer that supports the Oculus RIFT!

Helenores

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ladies and gentleman the worlds first public viewer that supports the Oculus Rift

http://ctrlaltstudio.com/blog/2013/08/25/an-initial-foray-into-second-life-with-the-oculus-rift

some bugs but other then that works fantastic!  high praises to the developer (not me) who did what other persons and Linden Lab themselves (no suprise there) could not publicly in such a short amount of time.

Now i wonder how long it will take Linden Labs to "catch up" Honestly i dont see why they coudnt have done this, as it doesnt have to be perfect for the first viewer,  even no UI in Rift mode but with head tracking would still be pretty awesome!

we'll the race is on now! but i am very happy in that even if no other viewers or updates for the Rift comes out in months i can still use this alpha viewer just fine for a good while to come!  :-)

I think LL is being pretty responsive on the OR. They already have working viewer tests, and are spending the time now to rethink how the ui needs to work for this new tool. I think LL had a working version months ago to be honest, just not one that's available to the public. With the number of people who seem to bash LL at the slightest drop of a hat I can't say I blame them.

Helenores wrote:

Ladies and gentleman the worlds first public viewer that supports the Oculus Rift

some bugs but other then that works fantastic!  high praises to the developer (not me) who did what other persons and Linden Lab themselves (no suprise there) could not publicly in such a short amount of time.

Now i wonder how long it will take Linden Labs
to "catch up" Honestly i dont see why they coudnt have done this, as it doesnt have to be perfect for the first viewer,  even no UI in Rift mode but with head tracking would still be pretty awesome!

we'll the race is on now! but i am very happy in that even if no other viewers or updates for the Rift comes out in months i can still use this alpha viewer just fine for a good while to come!  :-)

Linden Lab has the basic functionality already and has for some time - they're not releasing it unti it has a UI. And note that this developer says that his won't have a UI until the Linden Lab viewer with one is released. It's a matter of expectatins - if the Lab had released their viewer in this state the reaction would have been:

BAWWW!

WHERE'S TEH UI?

IZ USELESS!!!

Yawn.png

SL Answers Line: Hello Techie Queen, welcome to SL Answers. How can we help you today?

Techie Queen: I need some help, My Oculus RIFT SL Viewer works great but I can't interact with anything! I'm totally on wireless and have the best PC there is and the most awesome Internet ever.. You need to fix this.

SL Answers Line: Well you are chatting with Residents just like you. Linden Lab employees never visit the SL Answers forum as far as we know. So the volunteers here will advise you the best they can.

Techie Queen: Yeah OK, well then what's wrong with SL. Why can't I interact with objects the way I want to.

SL Answers Line: Well first of all, Oculus RIFT is not yet a supported technology in SL. So here is what you need to do. 1) uninstall your Oculus RIFT Viewer and 2) do a Clean Install of the Official SL Viewer. Afterwards you should be operational faster than you can say "3D is Way Over Rated"

Techie Queen: No, wait but I want to interact with complete visual immersion with Second Life.

SL Answers Line:  That's nice. You'll just have to wait until the Linden Lab developers create a fun and intuitive Floating Object 3D HUD for you to use with your 3D Avatar in Oculus RIFT. Then you can wack the appropriate feature sprite to trigger some activity other than walking or using voice. [ I won't mention that you will look like a spazz whacking at invisible to us Floating HUD action sprites but that's OK, it makes it easy for us to know who is here using Oculus RIFT  - Yeah The Iron Man Suit HUD technology is not quite ready for SL.]

Techie Queen: Why doesn't Linden Lab just implement a voice activation interface?

SL Answers Line:  Seriously? Let's see, on top of all the current annoying chatting in local regions/parcels that allow voice, then we would have to listen to your voice commands as well because you keep on forgetting to hit the beta pink voice privacy sprite before uttering a command? No thank you!

Techie Queen: Well that is not my problem, it's Linden Lab's problem. They need to fix it and get this working ASAP.

SL Answers Line:  Really? Then you need to wait until Linden Lab launches their own version of the Oculus RIFT Enabled SL Viewer. Check back in about a year OKies?

Techie Queen: (*&^$$%%&*(*

SL Answers Line:  hears the distant sound of a microphone hitting a wall...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.