I like ... I want :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, and without any third party software, but why not just ask? Most people are only too happy to tell you where they got something and many are pleased that you asked. I know that on the rare times that has happened to me I'm somewhat flattered that another person thinks I made a good fashion choice.

xIITaylorIIx wrote:

If I see another avatar wearing something I really like, is there a possibility to "find out" with some tool, 3rd party software or whatever, what the items are (without asking the person)?

I haven't done it recently with the advent of the v3 viewers so not sure if it's still an option, but we used to be able to click on an avatar, get the pie chart and click on "More" until an "Inspect" option came up that showed designers of various items the avatar was wearing.  Of course, some people had the option checked so they knew when someone inspected them (or am I thinking of EQ...I might be confused there) and would get irritated.

If I see something I like worn by another avatar, I just IM them, compliment <the item> and asked if they would mind telling me where they got it.  I've never had someone say no; usually they are flattered.

ETA: Dillon beat me to it. ;)

Inspecting items only works for prim attachments. You can't use that method for system clothes.Not sure if it works for mesh either as i've never tried.  It is hard enough clicking on mesh items I am wearing myself sometimes.

If you were clicking on a prim attachment, you may not get a pie chart unless your viewer is set up that way, you may get a little square mini menu instead.

While most people don't mind telling you where they got something, some do.  They don't want to give the information out so their avatar remains as unique as possible.  Its their right to refuse to answer and you should respect that. 

Aside from the above you might try taking their photo and then posting it here (in the fashion forum) or showing it to some fashionista friends.

Also sometimes people put their favorite shops or designers in their picks or are in one of their groups. So, look in their profile for hints.

I use the current FireStorm (4.4.2) and sometimes the current SL viewer (3.6.1).  In FS, I choose not to use the old-style "pie menu", so in either viewer, if I right click on an object I get a very similar context menu.  And I can choose "object profile" to get various details about that object. For either viewer, this works fine for prim attachements on other avatars - hair, skirts, shoes, etc.  For FS, but not for the SL viewer, it also works for rigged mesh clothing.  For system clothing, the only option is to ask the person wearing it.

xIITaylorIIx wrote:

Well, that's why I wrote without asking the person. Tried it 6 times today for over 2 hours in same room, avatar was moving around but got no answers. If there is another possibility, could you pls tell me?

Have you asked in open chat or with IM? A lot people don't pay attention to local chat and don't notice when someone starts talking to them.

Rhys Goode wrote:

I use the current FireStorm (4.4.2) and sometimes the current SL viewer (3.6.1).  In FS, I choose not to use the old-style "pie menu", so in either viewer, if I right click on an object I get a very similar context menu.  And I can choose "object profile" to get various details about that object. For either viewer, this works fine for prim attachements on other avatars - hair, skirts, shoes, etc.  For FS, but not for the SL viewer, it also works for rigged mesh clothing.  For system clothing, the only option is to ask the person wearing it.

Right... you can now inspect mesh in Firestorm... I doubt we'll ever see that in the official viewer.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Rhys Goode wrote:

Right... you can now inspect mesh in Firestorm... I doubt we'll ever see that in the official viewer.

...Dres

that's when it works. I find it's a little buggy sometimes.

xIITaylorIIx wrote:

I usually ask in IM, never open chat but I will try out the various tips I have been given, thank you
:)

You will find that some people are stuck up and rude and feel there to snowflake special and they don't want you to copy them. :/ Because you know no one can find it on MP and buy it and the designer doesn't need money to keep making things.

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

xIITaylorIIx wrote:

I usually ask in IM, never open chat but I will try out the various tips I have been given, thank you
:)

You will find that some people are stuck up and rude and feel there to snowflake special and they don't want you to copy them.
:/
Because you know no one can find it on MP and buy it and the designer doesn't need money to keep making things.

You have to be kidding... no one in SL could possibly be so self centered. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.