Rezzing on mesh - lost object

Vollrath

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've had this happen before, but not  when rezzing on a mesh thing.  It was because my parcel forgot, for a second, that I am in the group that can rez stuff there.  Do you have the right permissions to rezz things at that location?

It doesn't happen on every mesh. The floor of my house is usually fine. I wish I could be more specific. I was just at Muschi. I bought something, tried to rez it, SL ate it. The box was no copy, contents were tho. Weirdness. I'm sure the owner will send me a new one but this is all so inconvenient. I've lost Arcade items, other no copy things. It's random, it seems, but rezzing on a mesh is the one common thing I can think of.

Vollrath wrote:

Yeah, it's always places I have rights to. Otherwise, sl would just say, 'can't rez'. I'm getting something like, 'failed to rez...NOM'

Interesting.  Are you able to create a prim 'rezz platform' and place it near your mesh structure, rezz on the platform, and then move the stuff to wherever it needs to go?  Does that cause the same results?

Maybe SL is hungry.

Vollrath wrote:

Yes, rezzing on a non-mesh object, when this is happening, works.

Are you using the most recent viewer?  Have you tried replicating this on an earlier version of that viewer?  What about on a different viewer?

Oh, and have you cleared your cache? :smileysurprised:

Smilar issues have happened with megaprim surfaces, or with attempting to rez something atop a cut and 'tortured' prim. . If SL isn't certain where the surface is, the rez can fail. And if the thing being rezzed is no-copy, you can lose it.

Best solution is before rezzing a no-copy item on an 'unusual' surface, first rez a normal cube prim there, if you can. Then rez the no-copy thing on top of the cube prim.

I have had it happen countless times over the years. It's not just the mesh surface, it can happen on any surface, just happens a bit more often on sculpt or mesh surfaces. It's because, for whatever reason, the viewer doesn't seem to be able to define the surface you are choosing.

It also sometimes makes things rez in the air, or waaaaaaaay off point, because it seems to believe that was your intended target. It's not specific to any particular viewer and can't always be re-produced with any consistancy. But I know it's happened on most of the viewers I've tried(which is all but maybe 2, actual viewers not text based, of course). I also know there used to be several JIRAs about it, but we know those have gone into the dark abyss of nothingness now.

Most of the time, the item does get returned if not in lost and found, it's right back where it came from. The problem is, you usually need to relog for that to happen, and most I have helped with the issue seem hesitant to do that(don't know why, takes seconds). Sometimes a cleared cache is necessary too. I have only actually lost items, for good, twice since about 2008-ish because of this issue. Everything else always shows back up, eventually. Sometimes after I'd already replaced them, though.

• 1 year later...

Just started happening to me over the last two months.  Lost two meeroo nests and a sign when I tried to rez them on mesh shelves.  No warning, no message, they just disappeared.  Obviously, I can't rez on those shelves.  I never got any of them back.  Now today, I rezzed a plant on top of a wall on a building I bought years ago.  It just disappeared.  I went into wireframe and it's just not there.  Again, no warning.  So, from now on, I'm just going to have to rez on the ground or on a regular prim, then move the object to where I want it.  

Autumn Ehrenkranz wrote:

Just started happening to me over the last two months.  Lost two meeroo nests and a sign when I tried to rez them on mesh shelves.  No warning, no message, they just disappeared.

It's a fairly common problem with SL mesh, I suppose it counts as a bug although there's hardly any chance it'll ever be fixed. All good mesh makers today know how to make mesh surfaces you can rez on but we all had to learn it the hard way and there are still many inexperienced mesh creators who are unaware of the issue and/or don't know how to avoid it.

Your items are never lost that way though. Most of the time they end up at the nearest surface underneath the mesh (which can be rather inconvenient if you're in a sky box 4000 m up and there's nothing between it and the ground). Sometimes they are returned to your inventory and you'll find them in the Lost and Found folder after you've relogged.

This has happened to me many times. The worst one was when I lost a dance machine containing 5,000L$ of no-copy dances. All gone.  I no longer rez any no-copy item anywhere near a mesh build.

I don;t think it's vewer-specific, my partner had a similar thing happen with Singularity. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.