deploys for this week

Lydia Craig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okey where is the information about the deploys for this week? Given the reports from firestorm and other sources it would seem that we are about to see the appearance of Server Side Baking, but you would never know it from what LL has to say which is nothing.  I suspose I should not be disappointed at the lack of information, for LL is not known for its keeping it players informed about what is going on, but really this is a bit extreme.  This is perhaps the most important make or break moment that we have seen in recent years and LL chooses to say nothing or worse yet forgets to mention it to it players.  Come on guys show some sense and respect for the people who pay your wages and let us know what is going on and what we should expect to see, otherwise do not be surprised that even more player grow disgusted and choose to leave SL and not return.  Right now we are at a critical point where players leaving have reached to point where the damage may be impossible to recover from, and we do not need another show of Linden arrogance or lack of consideration to drive more away still. I am sorry if I sound a bit bitter, but enough is enough and it is time LL steips up and treats its players with some respect.

It is on the wiki as usual, so there is no mystery.

Maestro was apparently away Monday, Steven Linden added the release notes for him.

Main channel gets the animation functions

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13

Roll announcement is on the status blog as per usual.

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/2013/04/22/post1932/

LeTigre and BlueSteel are getting some prepratation work for the long awaited experience permissions.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13

Magnum is still in TBD land.

Server-side baking is on the way, but won't be arriving across the grid this week. Ther viewer-side code has yet to appear in the SL release viewer, and it will be accompanied by a period of testing on a constrained number of regions before the switch is thrown.

Firestorm (and other TPVs) are releasing viewers with support for the new baking service now in order to ensure that as many people as possible update to SSB-capable viewers ahead of the switch-over, so as to avoid them ending up seeing "grey people" around them. Viewers supporting the upcoming new capability will work with the existing avatar baking mechanism until such time as the Lab "throws the switch".

In the meantime, as others have pointed out, the release notes for the main channel and LT / BS RCs are up on the wiki; hopefully, Magnum's notes will follow.

Just to add, the server-side code for SSB is apparently something they can switch on or off without a restart. So it might need an RC test, but it might not be switched-on on the whole RC. Since there's some complications with how an SSB-capable viewer responds to moving back to old-style baking, I hope they're careful about just which regions are switched on for testing. Unlike Physics, last year, this potentially messes up everyone.

Also, they don't want too big a jump in the load on the servers that do the baking. I really doubt they will jump from RC to the whole grid. Weekends, in particular, could get interesting if the expend the SSB coverage too quickly.

Anyhow, that's how I interpret what I've heard. The code in the sim servers ought to go through the RC process, but there are other critical elements which need careful deployment.

There are several issues here:

Firstly, Lydia actually does have a point, although it is wrapped in a rant which will get us nowhere fast.  As Inara points out SSAB is imminent, but not happening this week.  Those "slow restarts" announced on the status page at the weekend suggest the code is being rolled to a select few sims in readiness for being "turned on" sometime soon.

What is not good is that somehow Maestro was not able to get another Linden to post up the Server Roll Schedule in the usual fashion.  If Oscar was off, Maestro deputised - are we to assume that there are no little Indians left now?  Irrespective of Cerise's post, the information was NOT posted in the correct place and as a result no obvious place for rational and constructive comment was provided.  If you create a vacuum, it cannot be a surprise if all sorts of detritus rushes in to fill it.

Now there are some oddities being observed after the Main Server Roll but where do folk post comments?  Do Linden Lab seriously want a tranche of JIRAs?  Or are they trying to hide?

Those of us that love our Second Lives just want a little common sense to be applied...is that too much to ask?

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

Just to add, the server-side code for SSB is apparently something they can switch on or off without a restart. So it might need an RC test, but it might not be switched-on on the whole RC. Since there's some complications with how an SSB-capable viewer responds to moving back to old-style baking, I hope they're careful about just which regions are switched on for testing. Unlike Physics, last year, this potentially messes up everyone.

While it is a configuration change which doesn't necessarily need to go via that the RC channels (and Oz Linden's most recent comments suggest that LL are leaning in that direction, indifference to previous comments from Nyx hinting at a progressive switch-over), whether or not an actual restart is required when the switch is thrown is still unclear. When asked about it at the TPV Dev meeting on Friday 19th April, Oz was uncertain, and I missed the opportunity to ask Nyx about it at the CC meeting on Monday 22nd.

You know, it's what Oz says that worries me. This is new code in the sim servers, and it should have the same testing as any other new code: run it in an RC and see what goes wrong. Whether it goes live in the whole RC set, that's a different question. There are the servers doing the actual baking, and all the changes to network traffic as a result, and I can't see how they can have tested all that on the Beta Grid. They might have enough data to make a good guess, but can they afford not to do a slow initial roll-out?

And just check what Oz says about himself. He's the Open Source guy at Linden Labs, which means the Viewer, not the Sim Servers. He needs to get the Viewer side out before the Server side can go active, and to do that he has to talk with the server-side team, but I doubt he has much to do with the server deployment plan.

Oz is, I hope, working his little socks off on the Viewer side. I can imagine the server-side team making impatient noises behind the scenes. I can understand him being a bit vague about some of the details of the server deployment. He'll be watching the viewer-use figures, maybe has a percentage of SSA viewers as a target, but the servers aren't his pigeon.

Or penguin.

Or whatever.

I'm not sure who is Oz Linden's equivalent on the server side, but they're the person I'd expect to give reliable info.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.