“Straight Male Gamer” told to ‘Get Over It’

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

“Straight Male Gamer” told to ‘get over it’ by BioWare (pops)

"The romances in the game are not for “the straight male gamer”. They’re for everyone. We have a lot of fans, many of whom are neither straight nor male, and they deserve no less attention. We have good numbers, after all, on the number of people who actually used similar sorts of content in DAO and thus don’t need to resort to anecdotal evidence to support our idea that their numbers are not insignificant… and that’s ignoring the idea that they don’t have just as much right to play the kind of game they wish as anyone else. The “rights” of anyone with regards to a game are murky at best, but anyone who takes that stance must apply it equally to both the minority as well as the majority. The majority has no inherent “right” to get more options than anyone else."

"The irony of the complaint is clearly astounding. For those that do not play Dragon Age 2, there is yet a further irony in that the Straight Male Gamer clearly has a huge problem with LGBT people being catered to as well rather than a focus based entirely in Straight Male Gamers (and a little on women too, of course, just as an afterthought). but clearly has no problem with the game allowing inter-species romances between the human player controlled character and an Elf! You couldn’t make it up!"

Dillon Levenque wrote:

The idea that the
vast majority
of online gamers are males is itself VERY open to question.

The idea that all of the males (or females)  that do play online games are 'straight' in the worldview of the person who complained is not really open to question. It's ludicrous.

I don't know that you could really use Facebook games such as Farmville for comparisons, but of the around 250 "friends" I have on FB who's RL gender I know for a certainty, among them women vastly dominate the number of men who play them, easily 10 to 1.  How many of them play other games I have no idea.

The only thing that could have made that guys post worse is if he said straight white males.  I am guessing that guy has a hard time in RL accepting the fact that his particular demographic isn't in total control of everything anymore and that minorities are not only becoming the majority, at least here in the states, but are gaining political power.  He's a knuckledragger that needs to evolve, or be left in the primordial mud.

Kudos to Bioware..

If I were prone to speculation, I'd say that this "Straight Male Gamer" is clearly insecure with his own sexuality, otherwise he wouldn't have been so freaked out over some male avatar hitting on him... but since I'm not, I won't say that.

What I will say is that I appreciate BioWare's response... if it were left up to me, I'd have simply said, "Grow some balls and STFU."

...Dres

Perrie Juran wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

The idea that the
vast majority
of online gamers are males is itself VERY open to question.

The idea that all of the males (or females)  that do play online games are 'straight' in the worldview of the person who complained is not really open to question. It's ludicrous.

I don't know that you could really use Facebook games such as Farmville for comparisons, but of the around 250 "friends" I have on FB who's RL gender I know for a certainty, among them women vastly dominate the number of men who play them, easily 10 to 1.  How many of them play other games I have no idea.

SECOND LIFE IS NOT A GAME

I would've told the dude to man up and bugger off too, in the most professional way of course. :)

It's rather funny that men seem to think women hold the gold medal for being overly dramatic. Men can be, and many are, just as bad, if not worse, lol.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Tarina Sewell wrote:

SECOND LIFE IS NOT A GAME

No one said it was... at least not in this thread.

...Dres

Yeah, but now I kind of want to. Say it's a game, that is.

I understand what people are saying when they state SL is not a game, but I find people take that idea to an unrealistic extreme, to the point where they get offended at any parallels drawn between SL and videogames.

LL is, essentially, a videogame studio. That they fail to realize this is the root cause of many of SL's problems. SL has all of the elements that make up a videogame, it's simply used as more of a social setting than a game by most (but not all) users.

SL is most definitely "electronic entertainment" and truth be told there is software out there often labled as "videogames" which would fit more comfortably under this broader label as well.

Of course, all of this is a tangent. Like Dres said, no one had claimed SL was a game at the time of Tarina's post.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.