Editing the name under my display name

tonytarheel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4097 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know and have used the edit my display name function. I would like to know if there is a way to edit the name that appears under my display name in my profile and also appears next to my display name in parentheses in most places, the one that is usually your login name?

You cannot change your username. If you don't have much invested in your account, you can simply abandon it and start a new one with a username you like better; but you can't change the one you have at all.

You cannot hide your username, no matter which viewer you use. As has already been pointed out, that would lead to pretty much every griefer on the grid hiding his or her username so that he or she wouldn't get in trouble. In addition to that, display names are NOT unique, unlike usernames, which could also cause problems if unique usernames could be hidden.

You CAN hide display names, but clearly that's not what you're looking for. Unfortunately, that's the only option other than simply starting another account.

BilliJo Aldrin wrote:

If it was possible to hide your account name, isn't it possible every griefer in second life would hide theirs?

Personally, I think account names should not be displayed in the name tag by default. as they currently are in most viewers. This leads to the problem the OP is facing, where they have chosen a display name, but people are still referring to them by their username. Since the username/displayname system was introduced, usernames are no longer avatar names, they're what people like the OP use to log in and that's it.

LL chose to show usernames in nametags to placate ungrounded fears of griefing and identity theft.

The thing is, even if you hide account names in the nametag, they are still visible in profiles, IM windows, any transaction window with another avatar and in hovertips. It is entirely impossible to completely hide your account name. Even when not shown in nametags they are very visible.

I run an SL business, manage several sims (including dealing with griefers) and have not had usernames displayed in nametags in years. I literally turned them off the day displaynames were introduced and have not had any problems.

I agree with Penny.

And further, why can we only change our display names once a week? What if I want to be the Maitre D' that greets you, the waiter that serves you, and chef that comes out when you have a complaint?  I can easily slip "off stage" and change costumes, but I can't change my name? In a roleplaying enviroment as sophisticated as SL is, it seems a shame that my display name is so limited in its usefulness.

The only way to change your username is to make a new account (alt) with the username you want (assuming it's available).  You can hide the username from your own view (in preferences, general tab) but you can't control what other people see. 

If you haven't yet spent a lot of money on customising your avatar, making a new alt might be your best bet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4097 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.