Please! Activate Autoreturn!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

And turn off Build for Everyone!

Why?

That's why:

plywood1.jpg

plywood2.jpg

plywood3.jpg

The last one is a single small 16sqm parcel with Build enabled for everyone and Autoreturn set to 0.
Btw., the Goonsquad-Griefer abused parcels with similar settings to drop his junk.

The junk is visible on the world map as well.

So again:

Please activate Autoreturn!

And set Build to Group or Owner.

If you don't have the permissions,
ask your Landlord. But please do it.

Really, it isn't that hard. Thank you.

Yikes!!!  I've heard some talk in threads that sometimes abandoned mainland that LL is reselling does not have autoreturn on.  Anyone know if this is true, or partially true? 

*Makes note to go check out the settings on the abandoned parcels on the sim where I live*

Lucretia Brandenburg wrote: "Personally, I recommend that everyone turn build and object entry both off, then you don't have to fuss with autoreturn."

Wrong!. Why?
Blocking Object Entry works only reliably for slow moving objects. There are griefer objects out there, that shoot itself into
parcels with Object Entry turned off. Another tactic is to move an object very slowly into the blocked parcel,
using calculation- and rounding errors to get stuck at the border of the parcel (the Boulito-Method).
In all cases, only Autoreturn takes care of that.

That's why it is important to activate Autoreturn with the shortest time possible IN Addition to any other blocking.

Thanks for that, always good to learn new things. That is something I have never encountered on the estates I've worked, since there are few land owners and everyone has their parcels set to their own groups generally, with object entry and build set to of except for group members. None of the residents have ever done (or would do) that. When one of the sims had neighbors on all sides, I'd find griefing objects at high altitudes, but since the sims are now isolated, griefer objects entering from other sims isn't an issue, for which I'm thankful.

On my own land I allow everything, entry, scripts and create. Why? Because my parcel is on 3 sides surrounded by water. That water is used for sailing. I often enough had sailing or motorcycling trips abruptely ended by inconsiderate landowners and won't follow their bad example. I just set my autoreturn to 2 hours. Problem solved. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

Lucretia Brandenburg wrote: "Personally, I recommend that everyone turn build and object entry both off, then you don't have to fuss with autoreturn."

Wrong!. Why?

Blocking Object Entry works only reliably for slow moving objects. There are griefer objects out there, that shoot itself into

parcels with Object Entry turned off. Another tactic is to move an object very slowly into the blocked parcel,

using calculation- and rounding errors to get stuck at the border of the parcel (the Boulito-Method).

That's why it is important to activate Autoreturn with the shortest time possible
IN
Addition
to any other blocking.

Oh gee .... really sound advice, especially for those of us who have allowed a friend to help furnish/decorate a home.

Newsflash: Build set to group only with autoreturn on is not the ideal solution for everyone.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Yikes!!!  I've heard some talk in threads that sometimes abandoned mainland that LL is reselling does not have autoreturn on.  Anyone know if this is true, or partially true? 

*Makes note to go check out the settings on the abandoned parcels on the sim where I live*

Ugh!  Land around mine that was abandoned in early February has 5 minute autoreturn set.  Other nearby land that was abandoned yesterday has no autoreturn. :smileysad: None of the land is for sale.

I see a new support ticket from me in LL's future.

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

I would be inclined to agree, if this griefer would use his own land for that and keeps it completely ON his own land,

but like a squatter, he uses someone elses property to unload his junk. And that is atleast littering / flytipping.

If their things overhang onto your land, you should be able to return them manually by right-clicking and selecting return.  This should work even if it's not root-prim centered on your land.

If their things are rezzed on Linden owned land, you can file a support ticket to have autoreturn enabled.  It's been a while since I've done that (although I'll be doing that again soon), but, historically for me, they've been reasonably quick at taking care of it.

If their things are overhanging onto Linden owned land, you can try filing a support ticket for that too.  I've had success getting rid of things this way that blocked travel.

If their things are rezzed on or overhanging onto some resident's land, then you can try contacting all involved.  If you believe the resident is what I can an absentee neighbor (someone who stopped logging in and may have stopped paying tier but they still somehow retain land ownership), then you can file a support ticket for that.  If they are an absentee owner, LL may come clear things up.

If none of those things apply or work out, then, unfortunately, it seems you're stuck with the stuff.

Yes please. All landowners should activate auto return. 

It's easy to do: Set build to group or owner only. 

In the objects panel of your land settings, type a number - 1 through 10 is usually good. If you want building to be almost impossible, use a 1. If you want someone to have just enough time to open a box, maybe type a 10.

That is all there is to it.

If you want your friends or alts to be able to rez permanent structures, you do NOT have to leave build on and auto return at 0. Simply make it 'group land.' You will get a ten percent land bonus for your trouble (ten percent more meters required, until you hit the higher tier level. I think that's how it works.)

I have had neighbors who refused to set auto return "because I want my friends/alts to build here." It more often caused problems for the entire neighborhood. 

I had a park with bicycles anyone could use; but if they stopped riding in the neighbor's lawn (which - they shouldn't have gone into to begin with but that's another problem for another day) because auto return was not set, the bicycle stayed - with my name on it. 

Instead of setting 'auto return' that neighbor began to harass me using his various alts. He would expect me to drop anything I was doing and come get the bicycle he found - he even began to go up and down the 'block' and IM me if he found one anywhere - on a for sale parcel, abandoned land, etc. It became unbearable. If he had set auto return, he wouldn't have even had to bother with it; the land returns things FOR you.

And yes I did remove the bicycle rack since it apparently made him so agitated. Didn't matter; the whole incident made me decide I was sick of the area and of people not doing the right thing by their neighbors. It wasn't just him; there was also the land flipper nearby who purposely tried to cause drama, whether rezzing sex beds on G rated land next to a park where child avs and SL families hung out; or bidding up parcels I wanted, only to drop out of the auction, or if I wasn't in the auction, to put the land up for sale at laughable prices, assuming I'd "have to" buy it; on and on. Building over hte property line, putting up ban lines on empty lots to cause problems; etc. And once I moved out, presto, the prices on those same parcels dropped to 1L/meter or were abandoned.

In short, I see refusing to use auto return as simply one of the ways people are antisocial as neighbors in Second Life. If you refuse to use auto return you simply are not thinking about your neighbors or the peace of the neighborhood. And mainland IS a neighborhood.

Lucretia Brandenburg wrote:

Also, anything already rezzed, regardless of group, before autoreturn is enabled won't be returned.

This part isn't true. Before you turn on auto return, if you have items rezzed which do not bear the tag of the land group, they WILL come back to you - and probably in one big clump.

I know from experience.

That isn't true if you merely SET the land group, though. Only if you DEED the land to the land group. Setting the land but not deeding it might be the best of both worlds for most people; the land owner can still rez things with or without group tag on; but you can still set auto return for everyone else. I changed my land from set to group to deeded to group only when I needed that land bonus to buy a parcel and stay under tier.

It's always better to be safe by simply going around and setting every item on the land, to the new land group. Then, when you change the land to group, nothing comes back (except the stuff you forgot to set to group.) You only need to set items to group though; not deed. (Once you do this stuff it becomes second nature and 'deed to land' requires added steps, so it's not as easy to confuse the two, when doing the actions, as it sounds.) Only land radios and such need to be 'deeded.'

You do get used to wearing your group land tag. I mostly leave mine on all the time so I can rez without thinking. However, if you don't have tags visible on  your viewer and so you forget you aren't wearing your group tag, then rez some stuff, it can be annoying when it comes back. But not nearly as annoying as being griefed permanently, or your neighbors griefed because you were building like a newb.

Thank you, yes, if land is set to the group without deeding the land, items set to other groups before the about land settings change stay.  If the land is deeded to a group, items may or may not be returned when that change is made. The reason it's different when the land is deeded to a group is the change in ownership of the land and prim limits available ... if the ownership changes in any way and there aren't prims to spare on the parce/region owned by the same groupl, items get returned just as with any change in ownership.  I agree, having everything on the same parcel set to the same group as the land before playing around with land settings is the best idea when it can be done.

The reason it's different when the land is deeded to a group is the change in ownership of the land and prim limits available ... if the ownership changes in any way and there aren't prims to spare on the parce/region owned by the same groupl, items get returned just as with any change in ownership.  I agree, having everything on the same parcel set to the same group as the land before playing around with land settings is the best idea when it can be done.

There's another reason why items get returned only on group-owned land when auto-return is enabled. In the case of land owned by an individual, that person's items won't be auto-returned regardless of whether their group settings match the land's group settings. On land owned by a group, however, everybody's prims have to match that of the land group, or they'll get auto-returned.

Group-SET land retains objects:

•  Owned by the landowner, set to any group
  •  Owned by anybody only if set to the group

Group-OWNED land retains objects:

•  Owned by anybody only if set to the group

None of which should discourage anybody from setting up auto-return, nor from deeding land to group. These are both great tools, you just need to know how to use them together.

Solar Legion wrote:

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

Wrong!. Why?

That's why it is important to activate Autoreturn with the shortest time possible
IN
Addition
to any other blocking.

Oh gee .... really sound advice, especially for those of us who have allowed a friend to help furnish/decorate a home.

Newsflash: Build set to group only with autoreturn on is not the ideal solution for everyone.

I agree there is no perfect solution.

The problem is primarily with Abandoned and with what I refer to as 'Neglected' land.

Had someone purchase a large parcel next to me and subdivide if for rental purposes.  There was no reason for them to leave build on while the parcels were empty.  Wound up having to message them to clean up the parcels.  It was two days after I messaged them that they got home from RL Vacation.  They did respond quickly.

Point is, if you are going to leave these functions on, then people should also keep an eye on their property.

Lucretia Brandenburg wrote:

If a friend is in the group and wearing the group tag when rezzing or building there, auto return will not return the items, it will only return items rezzed by those not wearing the group tag. Also, anything already rezzed, regardless of group, before autoreturn is enabled won't be returned.

Anyone with a full group list cannot join a land group to acquire rez rights. This is solved by temporarily setting build to everyone, letting the person set out what they are going to set out and then setting it back to group.

As for pre-rezzed items not being affected by autoreturn .... Unless Linden Lab changed it since 2006, I have no clue what you're smoking, nor would I advise anyone to take that risk.

Do you mean the person with a full groups list would rez things on land set to 'everyone build,' then someone who has edit rights on their prims would set those same things to group?

Solar Legion wrote:

Anyone with a full group list cannot join a land group to acquire rez rights. This is solved by temporarily setting build to everyone, letting the person set out what they are going to set out and then setting it back to group.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Solar Legion wrote:

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

Wrong!. Why?

IN
Addition
to any other blocking.

The problem is primarily with Abandoned and with what I refer to as 'Neglected' land.

Had someone purchase a large parcel next to me and subdivide if for rental purposes.  There was no reason for them to leave build on while the parcels were empty.  Wound up having to message them to clean up the parcels.  It was two days after I messaged them that they got home from RL Vacation.  They did respond quickly.

Point is, if you are going to leave these functions on, then people should also keep an eye on their property.

Indeed. Having auto-return on by default for abandoned land would be the ideal. Having Auto-return on and general build off is ideal for certain situations as well.

Thing of it is .... I have noticed that a LOT of those who insist that Auto-return be used and who consider not using Auto-return to be careless, un-neighborly, etc are also those who spent quite a bit of time on "mainland" and whose homes are generally there as well.

Mainland does indeed nearly require such precautions. Private island parcels? Private island rentals? Not so much. At most, one should only need group only access and group only build/object entry. And from my own observations ... This is indeed, more than enough.

IF auto-return needs to be turned on in these places, one quite simply cannot allow anyone that does not have a group slot availible to build (or in my case, aid in furnishing a home).

Speaking with my own case, I have a 4096 that I rent and one of my friend's friends had a group cuddle/other mat that fit perfectly with the decor. The land? Group OWNED (not set). Owner of the mat? No free group space.

So? No Auto-return.

Melita Magic wrote:

Do you mean the person with a full groups list would rez things on land set to 'everyone build,' then someone who has edit rights on their prims would set those same things to group?

Solar Legion wrote:

No - I mean the land itself being set to "Everyne" for a moment, then when the object is set out, setting the land back to Group Only.

No one can set the group on another person's objects, edit rights or not. I've tried.

Solar Legion wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Solar Legion wrote:

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

Wrong!. Why?

IN
Addition
to any other blocking.

Indeed. Having auto-return on by default for abandoned land would be the ideal. Having Auto-return on and general build off is ideal for certain situations as well.

Thing of it is .... I have noticed that a LOT of those who insist that Auto-return be used and who consider 
not
using Auto-return to be careless, un-neighborly, etc are also those who spent quite a bit of time on "mainland" and whose homes are generally there as well.

Mainland does indeed nearly require such precautions. Private island parcels? Private island rentals? Not so much. At most, one should only need group only access and group only build/object entry. And from my 
own
observations ... This is indeed, more than enough.

IF
auto-return needs to be turned on in these places, one quite simply cannot allow anyone that does not have a group slot availible to build (or in my case, aid in furnishing a home).

Speaking with 
my own
case, I have a 4096 that I rent and one of my friend's friends had a group cuddle/other mat that fit perfectly with the decor. The land? Group OWNED (not set). Owner of the mat? No free group space.

So? No Auto-return.

I live on Mainland.  Always have.  So I should be clear that I primarily think in terms of Mainland. 

Linden Lab is my "Estate Owner," and as long as I choose to live om Mainland I am at their mercy and have to endure what ever shortsightedness my neighbors may have.

Why it took Linden Lab so long to figure out that abandoned land needed to have build, etc restricted is beyond me.  The response of LL to any parcel that a griefing attack is launched from, even if it is privately owned, not just abandoned, should be to set that parcel to the most restrictive settings.   This would address the issue of the "neglected" parcels that many griefing attacks have been launched from.

Then if the property  owner wants to turn them back off, that's fine.  But the above would get a lot of things under control in Mainland.

To me it's like the property codes we have in RL.  You neglect your property, let it become a trash heap, the City will clean it up and charge you out the rear end to do so. 

There have been so many threads about it recently that it's hard to keep track of what's been said where, but yeah, it's mostly about Mainland.

Nonetheless, even for Estate parcels, I'm a little puzzled how group-only access restriction could be much help except in the case of standalone islands with all land set to the same group. Otherwise it would seem the same problem as the Mainland: griefers rezzing from a neighbor's parcel.

Also, there certainly are some exceptions for which auto-return won't work; preserving legacy builds owned by someone no longer in SL, for example. The condition of no free group slots, however, is very rare because most of us with all 42 slots occupied have at least a few that are open enrollment that we can leave long enough to do whatever rezzing we want in another group. Objects set to a group remain that way after the owner leaves the group. (This is in contrast to group tier contributions, which are withdrawn immediately when the contributor leaves the group.)

Solar Legion wrote:

No - I mean the land itself being set to "Everyne" for a moment, then when the object is set out, setting the land back to Group Only.

No one can set the group on another person's objects, edit rights or not. I've tried.

Thanks for the answer. I'm still confused. If the land is set to everyone, and the person isn't wearing a group tag when they rez the stuff, what's to stop it being sent back when the land is set to group again? 

I'm missing something. Is estate land different in that way?

And yes I was talking (mainly) about mainland in my prior posts. But, neighbors are neighbors.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.