Firestorm Questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello peoples...

I am not sure if this is going to stay here, but wasn't sure where else to put it as it's not an SL technology issue...

Firestorm has made a bit of an issue on their site regarding their internal codes and LL's new release and the SSB code and how everything is going to get all wonky (my term..not firestorms...)

I'm not a techie by any stretch of the imagination, so could one of your gurus be kind enough to explain what's going on, what's going to happen and what, if anything, I need to do about it? Should I stop using Firestorm and try a different viewer? Is it necessary to use SL's viewer (which I'm not really a fan of)?

HELP!!

Thanks....

Althought i think the improving of the server side baking, will be a great one, i think that yes, we have to expect some hard weeks with viewers.

But i have no doubt that Firestorm team will find a way to make quickly a new stable viewer working with the SSB and usual, with really awesome features and performances..

I guess it will be some weeks of pain, with instablity and a lot of crashes and some other lil problems, but its for a better future, so we just have to be patient.

On my side, ill try to keep with Firestorm the most ill be able to do, if i need another viewer for a short period i will try the Singularity. I will avoid the most i can the official viewer, that i really dislike.

There isn't much to worry.
What it is about, when the Firestorm-Team received the SSB-Viewercode,
it had some stability issues, when integrated into the viewer's main codebase.

Since Linden Lab wants to roll out Server Side Baking in the next weeks,
there is not enough time to make it really rocksolid, so the next few versions
of the Firestorm viewer will not have the usual stability.

In other words, you might get the occasional crash.
And as usual: Your mileage may vary...

Seeing how stable even the Development version of the SL-Viewer runs,
I don't expect anything nowhere near as desastrous as what you normally get from Microsoft.

In short, they are only changing the way avatar textures are baked. It should not have any negative effects, in fact the change is an attempt to once and for all fix the problem with avatar textures no loading resulting in blurred images or the famous Ruth. No, switching viewers wont help you because I am pretty sure every TPV including Firestorm will update their viewers to work properly. Please don't panic.

However, there was one major problem discovered recently that is a showstopper for me. The ability to adjust  Z Offset no longer works with SSB. There is a Jira on the issue and hopefully LL will get that worked out before rolling it out.

Darren Scorpio wrote:

However, there was one major problem discovered recently that is a showstopper for me. The ability to adjust  Z Offset no longer works with SSB. There is a Jira on the issue and hopefully LL will get that worked out before rolling it out.

I think this issue with the Z offset is a show stopper as well.  But then, the MP mixed listings jira/issue was actually designated as a showstopper and a year later the issue still remains.  However, this issue will affect the general SL population, not just MP merchants and shoppers so *hopefully* this will be worked out before SSB goes live.  I saw that a supposed "fix" was stated in the jira by Nyx Linden, but it does not help at all.

For those who are not aware of this issue, it was discovered and reported by Henri Beauchamp, designer of Cool Viewer.  The jira can be found at:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SUN-38

Edit: Clarification

Didn't they also mention that the SSB codebase made RLV incompatible? That is one big thing they are working on before Firestorm releases an update. Kudos goes to LL though for giving the TPV's a little time to get the code integrated into their viewers, especially those with RLV as so many people use it.

The SSB and updated RLVa code are already in place and working in the internal builds. But SSB is still somewhat a moving target and it wouldn't make sense to release it before LL releases what they think how the final implementation should look like. And since LL shot themselves in the foot with the horribly broken merge of CHUI, it seams there will be another few weeks until SSB goes live (LL has to fix their viewer first and then drop SSB into their beta viewer before it will show up in an official release of V3).

RLV outfit handling I guess would have to change, maybe use the outfits folder rather than #rlv folder (or use them in consort).

Have been wondering why RLV hasn't been doing that for some time in fact, right now there's effectively double work to get outfits set up :)

jwenting wrote:

RLV outfit handling I guess would have to change, maybe use the outfits folder rather than #rlv folder (or use them in consort).

Have been wondering why RLV hasn't been doing that for some time in fact, right now there's effectively double work to get outfits set up
:)

Outfit folders don't allow hierarchies, the virtual #RLV system folder does.

Basically, the Firestorm developers have developed a certain reputation for stability that they would like to keep. To them, that means a ton of testing before they release a new version. What has them worried is that they feel rushed with ssb. While they may remain the most stable viewer, that lack of testing time has them worried that the stability won't meet the high standards they hold themselves to.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.