Harrassment

Harley Hynes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4043 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello  and i did read your advice earlier in the thread but i have to disagree.  Any company small or large has their "big issues"  and their small ones to deal with.  But it often happens that the small ones that are ignored often become big ones later.  It is the responsibility of LL to offer as much support to their employee's and their customers.  Any company that fails in this often ends up with far larger issues that the "Bigger issues" you may be referring too.  Point is I agree that the "overly negative" things on my profile and my wife's needs to be and will be removed.  How ever LL  needs to step up and arbitrate this issue before it becomes something much larger than a techy sitting at a desk can handle.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valonkorr wrote:

Hello  and i did read your advice earlier in the thread but i have to disagree.  Any company small or large has their "big issues"  and their small ones to deal with.  But it often happens that the small ones that are ignored often become big ones later.  It is the responsibility of LL to offer as much support to their employee's and their customers.  Any company that fails in this often ends up with far larger issues that the "Bigger issues" you may be referring too.  Point is I agree that the "overly negative" things on my profile and my wife's needs to be and will be removed.  How ever LL  needs to step up and arbitrate this issue before it becomes something much larger than a techy sitting at a desk can handle.

Big as in how?  Your tormentor finds you both in real life and strangles you in your bed at night big?

Good grief get a grip man.  If all you are suffering is a bit of name calling, you really do need to get a perspective. This is only going to become a bigger problem if YOU allow it to become one.

Further more....pay attention to the last sentince in this line of TOS..

8.2 You will not post or transmit prohibited Content, including any Content that is illegal, harassing or violates any person's rights.

You agree that you will not:

(i) Post, display or transmit Content that violates any law, or the rights of any third party including without limitation Intellectual Property Rights;

(ii) Impersonate any person or entity without their consent, or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation, or if you are an adult, impersonate a minor for the purpose of interacting with a minor using the Service;

(iii) Stalk, harass, or engage in any sexual, suggestive, lewd, lascivious, or otherwise inappropriate conduct with minors on the Service;

(iv) Post, display or transmit any material, object or text that encourages, represents, or facilitates sexual "age play," i.e., using child-like avatars in a sexualized manner. You may review our full Age Play Policy here;

Incidents under sections (iii) and (iv) above are grounds for immediate termination. You understand and agree that we may report any and all such incidents -- and any and all of your corresponding personal information -- to any authorities we deem appropriate, whether or not it in and of itself violates the law of your (or any) jurisdiction.

(v) Post, display or transmit Content that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;

(vi) Post, display or transmit Content that is obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

(vii) Operate or profit from a "game of chance" In Second Life. For more information please see our Gambling Policy;

(viii) Operate or profit from a virtual "bank" In Second Life. For more information please see our Banking Policy; or

(ix) Post, display or transmit any Content or conduct or host any activity that is explicitly sexual, intensely violent or otherwise designated as Adult under our Maturity ratings, except as set forth in those ratings.

Any violation by you of the terms of this Section may result in immediate suspension or termination of your Accounts without any refund or other compensation.

"ANY"  Violation....meaning she should of been banned after the first report and the proof of such content posted on her Profile..  Now of course in all honesty My wife and I and her need to be banned since we are all in violation of TOS since she and I have also posted Irriate things on our profiles.  Point being (rather right or not) we did so only after LL failed to take proper action as per there own rules of TOS.  which is the Bigger Picture i was refering too in my first long post

Valonkorr wrote:

First off....you need to continue to read the list of TOS for Harrassment

v) Post, display or transmit Content that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;

(vi) Post, display or transmit Content that is obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

This is not a case of dealing with a Minor thats for sure.   (v) and (vi) clearly point to any sort of violation to a individual's rights to privacy and to their rights to not be bantered in this way.  If you want to sit and quote out LL TOS then we can.  This is all clearly in violation of everything LL has in their TOS inregards to Harrassment.  And to answer the post before this one...If LL is only interested in dealing with people that pay into SL then purhaps that needs to change too.

OK, calling you GAY may have been offensive to Gay people.

But seriously, we don't know the entirety of what happened.  I guess if I called someone an ugly sumabitch In World that could be construed as harassment.  But from what we see here now is an inter-personal dispute and LL does not get  involved in those.

It  still does not negate the advise to mute and ignore.

the thing is this person post  is posting far more that "you are gay" on her profile though.  and its not a point of which Minority group is most offended by the comments  its a matter of that the comments are made in the first place and LL still will not do anything about said issue

She Clearly posted Chats in a Local Chat and Then of all things saying I Dont take care of my kids when my child who is 3 had the flu and a fever of 102 i Did take him to ER that Night. Then She posted about my Marriage which is None of her Business Either. Or posting about any of my kids. 

She is cyber Bulling and Its gonna Quit. I removed everything I had about her But that Does not Make Her Queen Or anything. When you post about my RL it gets personal and its momma Protecting her kids in this Matter!

Valonkorr wrote:

the bigger issue is not the issue in question  i was refering to LL its self not the issue of topic in this thread.  I am not "suffering" from a bit of name calling  I am angry that a business isn't abiding by its own rules haha

Welcome to the real world then, Valonkorr!

I'm angry that the company from whom I bought my laptop has failed to take out the insurance payments for the past three months and now I am not covered for certain things - do I write on a forum and complain? No, I contact the company directly, and if that doesn't work, I will take them to court.

Do you think your issue is worthy of taking to a court perhaps?

When you come here onto the forums, especially a general discussion forum, you are opening up a topic for discussion. This means you will get differing opinions, some of which will not concur with your own.  Badgering me or anyone else who dares to disagree with your opinion will not gain you any support, quite the opposite in fact, and if you have this attitude when dealing directly with Linden Lab, then no doubt that will get you to the bottom of a very large pile of complaints.

Valonkorr wrote:

the thing is this person post  is posting far more that "you are gay" on her profile though.  and its not a point of which Minority group is most offended by the comments  its a matter of that the comments are made in the first place and LL still will not do anything about said issue

It really is a massive shame that the word "gay" doesn't mean what it meant when I was a child.  Gay, to me, actually still means happy and bright. 

If someone put on their profile "Marigold Devin is a big fat ginger **bleep**" I'd think it sounded quite harsh, but at the end of the day, they'd be absolutely correct!

What a dreadful thing to waste time on, what people say about you.  As I said before, people who write derogatory comments about others on their profiles only make themselves look bad. Be the bigger person here, and move on.

I am not badgering you or anyone else  I am agreeing to disagree....Welcome to the REAL WORLD.  You will not find people to agree to everything you say either.  I have not said or posted anything negative to anyone on this thread and yes i know all about open threads like this i have been in game for 3 years and have posted on forums similar to this for other things so you don't need to remind me about Open Forum chats.  Hence the reason I posted in the first place, I want everyone's input about this and I am releasing some stress being able to talk about it with people that may or even may not know how to understand the issues at hand.  This is what adults do.. Talk about issues and find potential solutions to those issues.  I may not agree but i am taking all of what you and everyone else is saying to heart.  So please  don't make accusations on anyone on a thread especially when I have not been posting anything negative to anyone else beyond stating facts and posting copies of LL TOS

Valonkorr wrote:

I am not badgering you or anyone else  I am agreeing to disagree....Welcome to the REAL WORLD.  You will not find people to agree to everything you say either.  I have not said or posted anything negative to anyone on this thread and yes i know all about open threads like this i have been in game for 3 years and have posted on forums similar to this for other things so you don't need to remind me about Open Forum chats.  Hence the reason I posted in the first place, I want everyone's input about this and I am releasing some stress being able to talk about it with people that may or even may not know how to understand the issues at hand.  This is what adults do.. Talk about issues and find potential solutions to those issues.  I may not agree but i am taking all of what you and everyone else is saying to heart.  So please  don't make accusations on anyone on a thread especially when I have not been posting anything negative to anyone else beyond stating facts and posting copies of LL TOS

I never expect anyone to agree with everything I say either - it's more fun if they don't sometimes, and it can make for very lively discussions. But of course, you know all of this. I am trying to teach grandmother to suck eggs.

Harley Hynes wrote:

She Clearly posted Chats in a Local Chat and Then of all things saying I Dont take care of my kids when my child who is 3 had the flu and a fever of 102 i Did take him to ER that Night. Then She posted about my Marriage which is None of her Business Either. Or posting about any of my kids. 

She is cyber Bulling and Its gonna Quit. I removed everything I had about her But that Does not Make Her Queen Or anything. When you post about my RL it gets personal and its momma Protecting her kids in this Matter!

All of that is not "personally identifiable information."  And unless she posted the Chat Logs verbatim, paraphrasing what you had said to her privately would not be a TOS violation.  A violation of your personal trust, yes.  But of the TOS, no. 

Yeah, I would be offended if someone said I was a bad parent.  But to raise it to the level of a TOS violation?  Really now?

ETA, the other thing is, if it was verbatim Chat logs you reported, you have no way of knowing if LL censored her.  She may have gotten a warning.  If you were expecting a perma-ban, those are pretty rare and generally only for the most heinous offenses.

The rest of the stuff I've seen here is still inter-personal disputes.

I again differ to TOS

(v) Post, display or transmit Content that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;

Any violation by you of the terms of this Section may result in immediate suspension or termination of your Accounts without any refund or other compensation.

This (rather you agree with it or not) is a violation of TOS since it is all hurtful harrassing defamatory false and inaccurate. 

Valonkorr wrote:

I again differ to TOS

This (rather you agree with it or not) is a violation of TOS since it is all hurtful harrassing defamatory false and inaccurate. 

And notice it says MAY RESULT, not WILL RESULT.

It's still at LL's discretion.

you keep bringing up "inter personal" and I have this to say...When a thief holds up a liqur store do the police say..."Sorry he didn't rob a store owned by the city or state he only robbed you"?  no  it doesn't matter if its issues between two people that doesn't directly involve LL.  But Its still against the companies TOS.  Its their duty to up hold their own rules is it not?  If the rules only apply to people that pay a ton of money then whats the point of having them.  Everything this person has posted on their profile is wrong and aganst TOS.  Thus proper action on the part of LL needs to be taken.

"may result"  Key words, nothing is set in stone.  I often wonder what sets some incidents apart from others.  There aer AR reports that get dealt with quickly, we have those posts in here also where the OP is thanking LL for such a quick response.  It is rare, but it does happen.  

In my own humble opinion, I believe the content of the AR has much to do with the way in which it is handled.  If you can stay away from hyperbole and emotional posting, just present basic facts, clearly represent the type of infraction you believe to have happened, provide screen shots and/or text from IMs or chat logs, and be very specific on time and place, then I believe an AR has a better chance of catching the needed attention.  

Also, I believe, if you have engaged the subject in the same type of behavior, then you have all nullified the effects any AR you file because you have become guilty of the same type of behavior you are trying to report, and (as you stated yourself) now deserve the same disciplinary actions you are asking to be waged against another.  

Just my 2 cents, and it may not apply to your situation at all.  

and your right the key word there is "May Result"  but the least they can do is force her to remove what she posts on her profile and have her keep it off it would solve it self as we have blocked muted and banned her from out lands.  If the posting of this garbage is stoped the issue would be over as we never meet each other on SL anymroe

Valonkorr wrote:

you keep bringing up "inter personal" and I have this to say...When a thief holds up a liqur store do the police say..."Sorry he didn't rob a store owned by the city or state he only robbed you"?  no  it doesn't matter if its issues between two people that doesn't directly involve LL.  But Its still against the companies TOS.  Its their duty to up hold their own rules is it not?  If the rules only apply to people that pay a ton of money then whats the point of having them.  Everything this person has posted on their profile is wrong and aganst TOS.  Thus proper action on the part of LL needs to be taken.

First off, equating name calling in Second Life with robbing a liquor store is a little far fetched.

Valonkorr wrote:

.  Thus proper action on the part of LL needs to be taken.

You are upset that Linden Lab didn't take that you think is proper.

Please note, I am not condoning what she wrote or has in her profile.  And to be honest, one question that has not been asked or answered here is what ever was it that prompted her to write such a thing?

Do I think that something like that should be allowed to remain in someones profile?  Probably not.  What I and others have addressed here is LL's responsibility and how we percieved the situation based on what we saw.  What several of us saw is a Resident to Resident dispute, and basically speaking, LL does not get involved in those. 

Harley Hynes wrote:

I been through Everyday harrassment from a Resident she has been blocked and muted and continues to do it. What else can be done besides the Send in Reports. She must have over 50 of then now against her and Linden Labs Still wont remove her from the game.

8.2 You will not post or transmit prohibited Content, including any Content that is illegal, harassing or violates any person's rights.

You agree that you will not:

(i) Post, display or transmit Content that violates any law, or the rights of any third party including without limitation Intellectual Property Rights;

(ii) Impersonate any person or entity without their consent, or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation, or if you are an adult, impersonate a minor for the purpose of interacting with a minor using the Service;

(iii) Stalk, harass, or engage in any sexual, suggestive, lewd, lascivious, or otherwise inappropriate conduct with minors on the Service;

How is it Possible She still in game of she continues to Harrasse me through her profile and its not only me its my partner too. She has called Him Gay ETC and yet she still in Game. Is LL really doing there job makes you wonder sometimes.

Seriously? You blocked them/reported them. No move on and don't let them bother u. I had a lunatic write some raving nonsense on a thread I started, I just laughed him off and he went away.. Seriously get yer life love. It's not that serious. Don't let haters get u down.

DIdn't there used to be a rule that profiles had to be G or PG rated?

If that rule still exists and her profile is that full of obscenities it might be able to AR the profile itself and skip over the drama issue. Get enough folks and LL might check it out.

Tina has a point worth checking out.

My comment was just that I have been threatened and maligned in sl occasionally for actions that were not meant to be hurtful but were perceived that way.  And some people react by lashing out with blind vindictive rage making all sorts of libelous accusations.  If you get nothing out of LL, and I've heard they are never much help in personal feuds, you might just put a disclaimer in your profile that any persons commiting libel and/or slander against yourself or your loved ones is opening themselves up to a law suit in rl and that you will vigorously persue legal action in rl if necessary to stop said public slander.  That these people know who they are and have been given fair warning before you take legal steps.

Furthermore, if you know this person's whereabouts, you can have a letter drafted by an attorney sent to them threatening real legal action that could scare the pants off them enough to stop their nonsense.  It won't cost you a huge amount and might be worth the satisfaction.

When it comes to LL, I don't count all that much on any intervention on their part unless you make it a legal issue with them.

Tina Teplicki wrote:

DIdn't there used to be a rule that profiles had to be G or PG rated?

If that rule still exists and her profile is that full of obscenities it might be able to AR the profile itself and skip over the drama issue. Get enough folks and LL might check it out.

He who laughs last laughs hardest?

While you are right about the profile, if she gets told by LL to clean it up (which is what usually happens), then she is going to look at them and the war will continue.  The idea here is really to bring the war to an end.  Vengeance may seem sweet but it also can be a two edged sword.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4043 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.