Are there Classes of Sims?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is driving me batty. Are there classes of Sims anymore.

I have heard from a linden that Sims aren't classed anymore.  I can't find any documentation regarding this. If there are no classes of Sims why is gridsurvey.com listing them?

Please help me find proof that there is or isn't classes of Sims.

Save my sanity :)

Batty Jacki :matte-motes-sarcasm:

Oops, should have put this in GD Land, sorry. :/

I think the way it works now is that regions are constantly moving servers after every restart. There are varying server types still in use and regions are loaded on to the highest quality server space available after a restart. As more and more higher quality servers are added, then the lesser quality servers become redundant and can be removed. So a region may be on a class 5 server one day, and class 7 the next.

I have no official documentation to back this up, just info I absorbed somewhere along the way.

There are classes of sims, Tyche Shepherd is a statto goddess and knows absolutely everything, which is why gridsurvey lists them:

Breakdown of Host Server Classes by Ownership:

• Estate - Class 5: 5482
  • Estate - Class 7: 12149
  • Estate - Class 8: 2181
  • Estate - Class Unknown: 835
  • Linden - Class 5: 2973
  • Linden - Class 7: 2371
  • Linden - Class 8: 1531
  • Linden - Class Unknown: 267

However, we long ago supposedly moved to a classless system, which means you could be class 8 one day and class 5 the next, but, the idea really was for busier sims to be on the better hardware, I don't know if they ever implemented that feature.

yes, there are no more classes. It's now just a marketing sham to get people to pay more for your overpriced rental units than they otherwise would.

There are no doubt slower and faster pieces of hardware in the racks at the serverfarms, but there's no official classification and you're not paying LL more or less depending on whether your region runs on a supernew top of the line piece of metal or some 3 year old one that's a few percent slower (and that's the difference).

Performance of sims running on more recent hardware may not be as good as those on lower-numbered "classes" because there are more cores per host on the newer boxes. Granted, those cores run faster, but they're subject to bus contention and all sorts of potential resource bottlenecks.

There must be many factors that go into assigning sims to hosts, but I think a case could be made for isolating the busiest sims onto the oldest hardware, where they'd have to contend with--and disrupt--the fewest other sims.

Qie Niangao wrote: "There must be many factors that go into assigning sims to hosts, but I think a case could be made for isolating the busiest sims onto the oldest hardware, where they'd have to contend with--and disrupt--the fewest other sims."

Sometimes it defies logic. Cases in point:

Hubble shares its host with only one other region: Kuiper Belt. Both are low traffic sims. (Class 501)

The other one is Schirra, always full to the brim and busy as it hosts a Freebie Mall.
It shares its host with 7 other regions. One of them, Junlong is full to the brim with breedables,
some of the others have already more traffic than Hubble & Kuiper Belt together.
( Class 701 ) ( All according to Gridsurvey )

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote: "There must be many factors that go into assigning sims to hosts, but I think a case could be made for isolating the busiest sims onto the oldest hardware, where they'd have to contend with--and disrupt--the fewest other sims."

Sometimes it defies logic. Cases in point:

Hubble shares its host with only one other region: Kuiper Belt. Both are low traffic sims. (Class 501)

The other one is Schirra, always full to the brim and busy as it hosts a Freebie Mall.

It shares its host with 7 other regions. One of them, Junlong is full to the brim with breedables,

some of the others have already more traffic than Hubble & Kuiper Belt together.

( Class 701 ) ( All according to Gridsurvey )

thats quite interesting

i kinda quite like these kinds of complex algo problems. shortest path. travelling saleman. ect. is a bit geeky but quite fun to try work them out

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.