Cannot Login from This PC Error!

PrettyPoizen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Suddenly I am getting this error "Cannot Login from This PC". Nothing has changed with my PC because I was away for a week and returned to this mess. I can log in with my phone using Lumiya. I have tried using Firestorm and SL Viewer. I am in contact with Yedda from support but the suggestions I am getting are not relevant to my problem (use a compatible viewer, log into a different region etc). There must be a cause for this. I have sent screenshots of the error for both SL Viewer and Firestorm. What has happened on SL in this last week that has left me unable to use my account. I am very concerned because I have to log in to pay tier and advertising for my sim before I lose all because although i can log in with Lumiya, my phone cannot do much once i am in...Surely there must be a solution to this. 

That message often appears if you have been banned. It takes a pretty serious offense for that to happen, though. It's possible that another person in your house (or, if you have an unsecured wireless connection, some random person down the street) has hijacked your connection and done something ban-worthy. Turn off your router. Grab a cup of coffee or go take a shower and come back in a few minutes. Turn it back on, and see if that helps.

What to do

If you're not sure why you can't log in, try these things:

1. Double-check your username and password. If you continue to receive an error message, try logging into the Second Life website. If you are unable to log into the website, the problem is likely to be your username or password. Follow the Forgot your login information? instructions on the website to reset your password.
  2. Change your login location to a different region. See below for instructions on how to do this.
  3. Restart your computer, modem, and router. When restarting, make sure to leave everything powered off for at least ten seconds before restarting. This step can often fix routing issues and other connection-related problems.
  4. If you are still unable to log in, premium and Concierge Residents may contact customer support via live chat, support cases (tickets), or telephone.  Basic customers may file a support case.  See How to contact customer support for more information.

Change your login location

By default, you always login at your last location inworld; You can also set your login location to be your home and whether to display the option in the login screen.  

To set these preferences:

1. Start Second Life. At the login screen, go to Me > Preferences.
  2. Click the General tab.
  3. Under Start location, select My Home or My Last Location depending on what you want by default.
  4. If you would also like to specify the start location at login, check Show on Login.
  5. Click OK.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Login-failure/ta-p/700109#Section_.3

Hi: thanks for the reply...all those steps taken several times. I dont understand the problem. I have even tried to log into other regions and had my son try to log into his account. He can't log in either from here. Wouldnt i get an email or notification is I was banned?

Not sure if you get an email if you are suspended. However, if both your son and you cannot login, you are obviously IP banned. Here's the official LL's advice:

You cannot log into Second Life from this location

This error message may also appear as:

• Login failed.
  • Second Life cannot be accessed from this computer.

These messages generally indicate you have been blocked from the Second Life servers by Linden Lab as the result of:

• Documented cases of fraud
  • Use of Second Life by a minor
  • Exceptionally flagrant abuse activity

Note that someone else in your household may be responsible for this activity, not necessariliy with your account. 

If you believe that this is an error, submit a support ticket via the support portal. To help customer support determine what block has been placed and why, include in the ticket your Second Life account name and any Second Life accounts that log in from your location.

PrettyPoizen wrote:

thanks...but I sure wish LL support would check to see if I am banned. I cant imagine why or think thats the case or I wouldnt be able to log in from Lumiya on my phone. I am sitting here dumbfounded that I may have to leave SL over a tech issue? Thats crazy LOL

Precisely: YOU are not banned as you can log in from your phone. It's your fixed IP address which is banned. The support should be able to fix that once you created a case. 

PrettyPoizen wrote:

Hi: thanks for the reply...all those steps taken several times. I dont understand the problem. I have even tried to log into other regions and had my son try to log into his account. He can't log in either from here. Wouldnt i get an email or notification is I was banned?

Can he log in with Lumiya?

Hm ... weird thing. Let me try to get it straight:

1) you can log in with Lumiya

2) your son can log in with Lumiya

3) your son can log in with his account from HIS computer

4) your son can log in with his account from YOUR computer?

Have you tried to log in with your son's computer?

Have you tried to log in with an alt from your computer?

Are you and your son on the same router/IP addy?

That should givve  you a hint on wether it's maybe a hardware problem.

There is one pc...neither of us can login on it from any account. we can both login on lumiya. I even tried creating a brand new account and still got that same error. I went to my sisters down the street and was able to login on my account. So if anything, it would be my ip or actual machine that is disallowed. SL still on my Exceptions List on Windows firewall, there have been no changes to my pc. I was away a week tending to my terminally ill sister in another state...all i wanted to do was play on SL on my "break" from providing care and came home to this problem.

Then most likely your hardware ban is based on MAC-adress and not through blocking your IP-adress.

You could still try to change the networkcard or perhaps get a wireless dongle for this PCand try to connect by that.

Or get a different PC/laptop altogether from somewhere.

PrettyPoizen wrote:

I LOVE YOU!!! It worked! Why would my mac address be banned? Did someone do something from my ip from the outside while i was away i wonder

I have no idea to the why. You still need to take that up with LL if you want to find out.

Happy for you it works. Have fun .. ;)

I Am actually going thru this for the first time of my entire Second Life.  I got disconnected my my internet company yesterday while they worked on things. After my internet comes back up. I have a new IP.. Suddenly I find that I am banned from SL LOL.

So I decided to take the " Lets try using Second Life Support" trail. I am premium. Surely they can help me thru live chat?  Ah alas I can still talk to live chat and get this resolved quickly!(as so I thought)

So I messaged live chat and told them what seems to be going on . So he says he can file a support case for me and will have to ask me for more information ( my IP. Mac address and my hard drive serial number) thru the case and email.
Well the live chat dude files an Abuse appeal Ticket on behalf of me. Uh, I didn't even do any sort of abuse to get banned LOL. What is to appeal?  So I send them the information they requested in a timely manner. And then I get a reply from the live chat person thru my ticket telling me. " Thanks Dilbert! That is all the info we need from you at this time" And he proceeded to say in the email that he has no idea how long it will take. And that he is now forwarding my case to the next department and can not tell me how long it will take because he can't see the queue of the next department.  So using live chat was a joke and now has been hours since the issue started . I know how to get a new Ip but I dont have that luxury sharing net with others and can not shut them down for an hour to see if my router picks up a new IP. So it is pretty rediculous how i am having to get the run around on unbanning my Ip because I have clearly done nothing wrong lol

It is probably one of those deciding factors of why people stop renewing premium and stop using second life alltogether

So I filed this ticket yesterday and my Ip is still banned LOL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.