Where do I begin

CheriQueen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

CheriQueen wrote:

this is my first encounter with SL AND I DONT HAVE A CLUE WHERE TO START

try click on buttons and menus in the viewer and see what they do. for each there is a Help context

if you want to see what is in the world then Destinations button at bottom of screen. click then pick a Destination and Teleport. is  lots of places you can go to have a look

Welcome to SL!  The forums are a great place to start, so you're off to a good beginning already :matte-motes-big-grin:

This page has links to help learn the basics. Other than that, it's all just about who and what you want to be and do. Feel free to get a hold of me inworld, I'd be happy to help as well =)

CheriQueen wrote:

Welcome to SL. :)

Generally a person has some idea, even if vague, of what they want to do when they sign up for SL.  Examples:

*I heard SL is a great way to meet people and be able to do things like dancing instead of just text chat.

*I enjoy role play and want to see if SL has the type of role play I enjoy (it probably does)

*I heard one can build things in SL

*I heard one can make money in SL

*I love to shop and heard that in SL I can make my avatar look any way I want and shop for amazing clothes, accessories, houses, etc.

*I always wanted to be a model.  Can I do that in SL? (Yes)

*It's winter where I live and I'm tired of all this snow.  I'd like to wear a bikini in SL and go swimming, surfing, sailing, scuba diving.

The list is endless.  Too many people, especially gamers, approach SL the same as they would a game and are looking around for the first "quest" to get them started.  SL, while sometimes referred to as a game, is far from it.  A "virtual world" is a better description and, as in your real life (RL), it is open-ended.

A dear friend of mine explained her SL this way: "SL is my "do over."  If I could live my life over, SL provides the opportunity to do the things I would have done."

Now, how did you hear about SL and/or, before joining, what did you want to do in SL?

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

I think its funny that people call it a game. I would more describe it as a large  3d chat room

Other than the lack of elves to kill, its not all that different from a large number of current poplar games.

Some of them even have the XXX as well...

And well, plenty of sims one can go to to shoot up some elves.

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

I think its funny that people call it a game. I would more describe it as a large  3d chat room

Mariis have a a blog here: http://milmariis.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/its-not-a-game/

Mariis working toward her PhD. her blog is about her journey to make her dissertation. she source a lot of her research studies and make posts about these as she uncovers and how they relate to her own SL and other worlds experiences

is quite interesting I find her blog

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

I know its not a perfect description...I also spend hours alone creating. But I would think its a better description for it then a game. Some people spend hours in social sites and chat rooms never chatting... although less productive lol...

I'm not quite sure why "virtual world" is rarely mentioned in these discussions, especially when books discussing the metaverse from those written in the 1980's to the present use that term.

Everytime I hear SL referred to as a game I cringe since I *have* played MMORPGs and know the difference.  I also spent 15 years in IRC text chat and the difference between SL and that is astronomical.

I absolutly agree. Calling SL a game speaks from false information and can create a false image of what one can expect from SL. MMORPGs are far different.

And thats what leads to the many newbies asking what to do here. I always have the feeling they wait for the instructions to pop up and show them where to do quests and earn money and stuff with doing so. They are used to a setting where the game as premade goals to offer.

CheriQueen wrote:

"Begin at the beginning," ...."and go on till you come to the end: then stop."

Cheri, there is no one right way to begin.   Learn the basics including how to rez prims, alter your avatar, find things, and how to explore.  You'll soon learn about things that will interest you in SL.  Also, if you have a RL interest or hobby, there are probably people in SL who share that interest.  Use the Search to find groups and people with which you may have common interests.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

CheriQueen wrote:

Welcome to SL.
:)

Generally a person has some idea, even if vague, of what they want to do when they sign up for SL.  Examples:

*I heard SL is a great way to meet people and be able to do things like dancing instead of just text chat.

*I enjoy role play and want to see if SL has the type of role play I enjoy (it probably does)

*I heard one can build things in SL

*I heard one can make money in SL

*I love to shop and heard that in SL I can make my avatar look any way I want and shop for amazing clothes, accessories, houses, etc.

*I always wanted to be a model.  Can I do that in SL? (Yes)

*It's winter where I live and I'm tired of all this snow.  I'd like to wear a bikini in SL and go swimming, surfing, sailing, scuba diving.

The list is endless.  Too many people, especially gamers, approach SL the same as they would a game and are looking around for the first "quest" to get them started.  SL, while sometimes referred to as a game, is far from it.  A "virtual world" is a better description and, as in your real life (RL), it is open-ended.

A dear friend of mine explained her SL this way: "SL is my "do over."  If I could live my life over, SL provides the opportunity to do the things I would have done."

Now, how did you hear about SL and/or, before joining, what did you want to do in SL?

Excellent post Czari!   What you wrote could be an ad or intro for SL! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.