So what is the latest in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Back about early october, i got a different computer. Joy of joys, it ran SL even worse than my old one. My avatar has a ton of rezzing problems. Things like her face is ruthed, if I change clothes her torso goes black etc...

It was about that time also I was getting kind of tired of paying rent on a property that was lagging me horridly. So at that point I pretty much called it quits. Go to SL, have the same graphics problems, have the same conversations with the same people over and over, etc.

I had even had my house all set for Xmas and was gonna do something big at my SL house for the holiday. But as I said, I was pretty much like "Oh f*** this s*** by then.

These days I log in about twice a week just to see if I cross paths with my SL best friend. As we are both 4 years in world, I guess she tossed in the towel also. We just got bored. For some of us, SL has run it's course.

So, it seemed like every few months, LL rolled out some ingenious BS to make things harder. Mesh and pathfinding were the latest calamities.On my computer I CAN use a mesh viewer and it looks horrid. Clothes move like they are made of rubber

I am not about to log in for any amount of time to see what the latest catastrophe is though. Is there now a V4? Is there something else? Just wondering.

its strange, when i was in emerald and pheonix, i widened my bandwidth in preferrances and never had any more rezzing problems, when my live music venue was going and had 30 people on the sim, i didnt even get lag problems. although my internet speed was and is pretty good. i upgraded to an i5 with 6 gyg of memory and a 1 gyg video card. if your using a laptop, i find that is where most of the problems ly, i use a desk top. but to your point, no, there is nothing new in SL, and it seems everytime LL adds some new gizmo, the quality of the experience deteriorates. i have been logging on just to see my girl, with whom i am having difficulty connecting with lately. so perhaps SL has run its course. remember all those companies that do amazingly for years, then they just die out as the next newest and biggest thing come along. besides, i too am getting bored with the same ole same ole................when something works so well, why do people then ruin it by trying to make it better, adding new things? i maintain that a car that has too many gadgets, just has more things that will break down.This i also believe with SL, and cutting staff didnt help at all coz then no one got service..

It seems you are burned out on SL.  That happens to us all......been there, done that myself a few times.  I do wonder why you would want to know the latest though unless it is to just do some grousing about how crappy SL is (I'm saying that from your comments about catastrophies like mesh and Pathfinding).  As long as you maintain that attitude about SL it's pointless to keep coming back every now and then unless the purpose is to find some more to complain about........you've made a choice to lay off SL (for a while anyway).  Why not make a clean break and stop trying to find stuff to complain about?  The problems you discribed with your "new" computer just don't sound like SL problems........they sound like computer and/or hardware problems (maybe some connection problems tossed in for good measure).  It's entirely possible that your new computer is spec'd lower than your old computer.  New does not equal better performance.......higher spec'd machines and the hardware equal better performance (there's a huge difference).

But I will answer the question about V-4.  No, no V-4 yet.....and I've not heard any rumors about it coming soon.  You do know how software versions are numbered don't you?  The first (whole) number is a major (very major) revision to the software....in over 10 years LL has produced only 3 major revisions to the viewer software.  The second number is for the more minor revisions but could make some major improvements.  The 3rd, 4th, etc numbers are for limited revisions to the software (often used for bug fixes and such).  The current V-3 version is 3.4.3.268262.  It will be a while before it's necessary to start with a version 4.  Unless, of course, LL decides to make some major changes to the grid that would require a major revision to the viewer (such as what happened when mesh was introduced)...........I've heard no such rumors.

wiked Anton wrote:

its strange, when i was in emerald and pheonix, i widened my bandwidth in preferrances and never had any more rezzing problems, when my live music venue was going and had 30 people on the sim, i didnt even get lag problems. although my internet speed was and is pretty good. i upgraded to an i5 with 6 gyg of memory and a 1 gyg video card. if your using a laptop, i find that is where most of the problems ly, i use a desk top. but to your point, no, there is nothing new in SL, and it seems everytime LL adds some new gizmo, the quality of the experience deteriorates. i have been logging on just to see my girl, with whom i am having difficulty connecting with lately. so perhaps SL has run its course. remember all those companies that do amazingly for years, then they just die out as the next newest and biggest thing come along. besides, i too am getting bored with the same ole same ole................when something works so well, why do people then ruin it by trying to make it better, adding new things? i maintain that a car that has too many gadgets, just has more things that will break down.This i also believe with SL, and cutting staff didnt help at all coz then no one got service..

I have to agree that mesh and pathfinding were done in the worst ways possible. Now, they both have potential. But hte problem I have is that mesh promised to cut down on lag, and did the exact opposite. Maybe server-side it did improve things. But client side it created problems where none existed. Phoenix was blazing fast for me. No mesh enabled viewer is. None. So... okay, now people can create ultra-realistic looking stuff that is harder to buy since it doesn't fit the avatar, and I now need an ultra-bloated viewer that runs ultra-slow on ultra-low settings just to see people properly.

I can literally walk around easier on my 1ghz phone that automatically "dumbs down" textures than i can on my 2.3 ghz computer. And the world just looks ugly anymore, since I have to run at the lowest settings, when before mesh I could keep them at medium high.

It's strange that LL keeps doing this, since desktops make up a smaller percentage of pc sales year after year.

You're equally right about car manufacturers. Except that it's not so much about the "gadgets" breaking. It's more about them diverting money that could be used to build quality car parts. And it seems that as time goes on, the car's OBD "network" gets less and less reliable.

Burper Tilling wrote:

In my experience the problems encountered on SL are no worse than those found with some other online games when they update.

As someone who played EQ for 7 years and more recently WoW, SL is  way different in graphics intensity plus other factors that MMORPGs do not have.  An MMORPG has a ready-made, pre-defined "world" with no user-created content, unless we include items people "make" in the games to sell but they are avatar items only, not houses, furniture, etc.

I have an old, and I mean OLLLLDDDD PC.  The last time I updated it was a new MB and graphics card when I was in EQ but that was still a looonnnngg time ago.  I have no problem moving around easily in EQ & WoW.  In SL, I have to use 64m draw distance if I want to move at all, the lowest possible settings for everything, and I still have to wait about 10 minutes for people to not be gray in busy venues.  Don't even get me started on mesh.

On the plus side, I'm getting a new PC soon. :)

Gadget Portal wrote:

Getting a new PC is good. Picked good specs, I hope?

Getting closer :)  Found a small PC shop where one person builds/repairs PCs.  She and I sat down and talked at length about specs and SL.  I directed her to the SL website that lists recommended specs.  She is going to work up several prices for me ranging from high end to several variations on a mid-range PC.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.