Researching Second Life...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melita Magic wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

publically 

I'm just curious now. You spelled publicly the same way as this guy:

Is it a British thing? 

You made me stop and think there :) Did I spell it wrong? So I checked and it appears that both are correct, and I guess "publically" is the British spelling.

Nemia Nuyasaka wrote:

was just wondering if people on the forum are open to researchers like me coming here and asking questions and enegaing in discussion? I'm not talking about a spamming the board with lots of posts, but maybe just using this one to ask a few questions about your experiences.

Please let me know if this would be OK.

NO!!!!

I'm sorry..that was mean of me....but the answer is still NO!

Nemia Nuyasaka wrote:

Hi All,

I am an anthropology student from London. I have recently been reading Tom Boelstorff's book 'Coming of Age In Second Life' that some of you may be familiar with. I am very much interested Second Life and was just wondering if people on the forum are open to researchers like me coming here and asking questions and enegaing in discussion? I'm not talking about a spamming the board with lots of posts, but maybe just using this one to ask a few questions about your experiences.

Please let me know if this would be OK.

Many Thanks,

Nemia 

YES!

Phil Deakins wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

publically 

Is it a British thing? 

You made me stop and think there
:)
 Did I spell it wrong? So I checked and it appears that both are correct, and I guess "publically" is the British spelling.

I keep getting a spell-check error in software programs when I try to use "publically."  I thought...ok....ummmmm...are my brain cells starting to die.  I also checked it out with the same results you found.  The interesting thing is that I was taught to spell that word with the British spelling.  Spell-checking software programmers - wake up!!!!

Again, this isn't about the OP. Stop making it about a person.

The Colleges and Universities are the driving force.

I could list all the past surveys, showing what they want, but you'll just ignore it.

They want to control people, regulate Second Life, moderate Second Life, legislate over Second Life, Tax Second Life...

When all the Newspapers and TV stations were in SL; what do you think they really wanted?

Honest investigative journalism, or, sensationalism?

Knowl Paine wrote:

Again, this isn't about the OP. Stop making it about a person.

The Colleges and Universities are the driving force.

I could list all the past surveys, showing what they want, but you'll just ignore it.

They want to control people, regulate Second Life, moderate Second Life, legislate over Second Life, Tax Second Life...

When all the Newspapers and TV stations were in SL; what do you think they really wanted?

Honest investigative journalism, or, sensationalism?

I respectfully disagree...the original post asked: "
was just wondering if people on the forum are open to researchers like me coming here and asking questions and enegaing in discussion? I'm not talking about a spamming the board with lots of posts, but maybe just using this one to ask a few questions about your experiences.

Please let me know if this would be OK
"

It is not the fault of the colleges and universities...the OP asked the question...we are answering the question. End of discussion!!

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

publically 

Is it a British thing? 

Did I spell it wrong? So I checked and it appears that both are correct, and I guess "publically" is the British spelling.

I keep getting a spell-check error in software programs when I try to use "publically."  I thought...ok....ummmmm...are my brain cells starting to die.  I also checked it out with the same results you found.  The interesting thing is that I was taught to spell that word with the British spelling.  Spell-checking software programmers - wake up!!!!

I often get spell-check errors too, when I write english spellings of all sorts of words :) Some programmes don't seem to offer the choice of using a British english dictionary.

Students do not define the curriculum.

If a Student falls in the forest, and then wakes up; will he or she naturally collect social data, for a private administrative body?

I don't like surveys about BS.

May the Student understand, that when acting in the capacity of "researcher", he or she may encounter some resistance, and discover the real reason, why it's called work. ... and why people are paid to do it.

If you do not like it now; you're going to hate it as a Career.

Knowl Paine wrote:

Students do not define the curriculum.

If a Student falls in the forest, and then wakes up; will he or she naturally collect social data, for a private administrative body?

I don't like surveys about BS.

Well stated. I can't argue with what you're saying. (in fact, I find it very humerous). My point is this (which I did say in a different post... ) I think, in future, if an OP said "Hi..I've been in SL for about 6 months now working on a research paper and I would like...blah blah blah" then maybe we all (or maybe just me) wouldn't get all bent out of shape with these questions.. Do some work. Go into SL..see what it's all about. That's all I'm saying.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

publically 

Is it a British thing? 

I often get spell-check errors too, when I write english spellings of all sorts of words 
Some programmes don't seem to offer the choice of using a British english dictionary.

Although I am one of dem 'Mericans who constantly butchers the good Queen's English,  I have forever used the British spelling on words like favour, savour, etc.  I have found that most spell checkers I can teach them (add the word to the dicshunery).

Well! I have to say. I apologise if I've offended anyone here. I came here with respect but I have to say the 'professor' did test my nerve. If I wanted advice on how to conduct fieldwork, I'm certainly not going to be coming here or any online forum for that matter. That just doesn't make any sense. I guess my original post may have lacked some detail, I was trying to keep it simple and just start a friendly discussion with anyone willing to take part. 

Just to clear a few things up...

With regards to the immersive aspect of anthropology. Yes, it's the cornerstone of anthropological method, participant-observation. It involves both participating in and observing in a place/culture/issue. It takes years to complete, months to plan, months to gain the trust and access you need from informants. The product of this us usually a book called an ethnography. These are somewhat dying out now in favor of the journal article sadly. Now I was working on a piece of coursework, there were set questions, I picked one which was (ironically!) about anthropological methods and how to apply them to virtual worlds (such as SL). Now due to the nature of researching and writing a piece of coursework, it would be impossible to even attempt some kind of participant observation. There simply isn't time. Instead there are hundreds of other things anthropologists do as well as PO such as... Interviews, surveys, photography, use of video, online research such as forums, blogs etc. Which is exactly what I was doing here. 

Anyway, I hope that's cleared a few things up. And again, thank you for the feedback and input, I really do appreciate it, it has certainly been interesting!

Nemia (girl!)

What you say about months and years to complete is quite true as regards real life. It is not true as regards SL. First, for whatever reason, 'things' seem to happen faster in SL than in RL. A lot faster in some cases.

Second, and infinitely more important from a scientific viewpoint: you really can participate and observe in SL without one single person knowing you're observing. You are not the old joke about the makeup of a Navajo family. You don't stand out. You have the opportunity to actually be a real part of that which you seek to study. Naturally that will cause problems in your objectivity, but then I've seen claims that Chagnon supplied shotguns to the Fierce People, which if true would have caused problems with the observations themselves.

It may very well be that an anthropological study of the residents of SL is, on a grand scale or even a minor one, pretty silly. Not only that, it's been done (I believe I saw a reference to a book in this thread). But if you really did want to do the work it's quite do-able.

Melita Magic wrote:

. What else could explain it? Or have universities realy become that lame?

There are multiple forces at work.  One is that a number of well meaning folks have been pushing for more undergraduate research in univerisities.  With proper resources conducting research is a tremendous educational opportunity for the student.  When proper resources are not availble you get a lot of bad research.  I am certainly of the opinion that a large number of universities do not provide adequate resources for quality student experiences. 

There are other issues as well, but the main point is that there is a noble goal, it is just not being realized in practice. 

Nemia Nuyasaka wrote:

Well! I have to say. I apologise if I've offended anyone here. I came here with respect but I have to say the 'professor' did test my nerve. If I wanted advice on how to conduct fieldwork, I'm certainly not going to be coming here or any online forum for that matter. That just doesn't make any sense. I guess my original post may have lacked some detail, I was trying to keep it simple and just start a friendly discussion with anyone willing to take part. 

Nemia (girl!)

I am delighted that you are much better prepared than most who show up here.  But I am still confused as to why my comments tested your nerve.   You clearly have some schooling in methodology.  Presumably someone is supervising your research.   You should have already heard most of what I said from your own professors.   Why is hearing it again so offensive?

Were you offended that someone underestimated your knowledge and the degree of progress you had already made?   I certainly know how that feels.  

Nemia Nuyasaka wrote:

Nemia
(girl!)

Sorry, Nemia. I usually write things like 's/he' when I don't know the gender but sometimes I forget and just write 'he'.

I'm also sorry that you got the negative reception, most of which wasn't bad but some was. It always happens here with research/survey types of thread, although sometimes, for some reason, some people do take part in them. I don't understand why there seems to be a need here to give such things a negative reception, instead of just ignoring them. There are a lot of nice aspects (and people) in this forum but that isn't one of them, unfortunately.

I wish you well with your study and course.

Phil Deakins wrote:

1a. I don't have a personal relationsgip with Linden Lab.

1b. I see L:inden Lab as being totally uninterested in their paying customers. From a customer's point of view, Linden lab is an incredibly bad company.

2. Linden Lab doesn't have any relationship with the SL community as whole, and vice versa, of course.

3. You asked about Lindens (individual people) and not Linden Lab the company. I believe that the dominant attitude towards individual Lindens is good. I also believe that the dominant attitude towards Linden lab, the company, is neutral, but that's because most users don't become aware of how bad the company actually is.

Those are my views and opinions.

exactly same for me. ! :smileywink:

I would have done exactly same answers

Phil Deakins wrote:

I don't get the need to jump on people who post a research. When you think about it, how else would a person get people's opinions in a reasonably short space of time? They have to ask the questions somewhere, and where is better than a place where users congregate? When they post, they don't know that, to appease some people here, they have to include the magic words, "
I've spent the last 2 weeks solid in SL, learning how it works etc."
or something like that.

I do think it's bad the way some people jump on such posters. If a person doesn't want to participate, just ignore it. That's what I do. There's no need to jump down the poster's throat. It's not like the poster interupted something important or wasted anyone's time. I think this is the first one that I've ever participated in, and that's because he asked questions that were right up my street. I normally ignore them, which is what everyone should do if they don't want to participate. There is no reason at all to jump down a stranger's throat for not doing anything wrong.

and this too !

ETA : i strongly agree with almost all you posted on this thread... ive already tried to say same in other threads on same kind of topic, but due to the fact that english is no my native language, i think you say it really better than me. And thanks. )

(awww Phil ! am i falling in love ? :smileyvery-happy:)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.