Happy Thanksgiving!

Melita Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Whether or not you celebrate the holiday, it's always good to take some time to give thanks for the blessings in your life. 

The Thanksgiving holiday celebrated by Americans is typically thought to reflect or remember the first feast celebrated by the Pilgrims from England, and the Wampanaog tribe.

After much persecution for their religious beliefs, some time spent in Holland, and being ripped off or reported by prior ships, the brave group traveled in awful conditions to the "new world." The timing was not good (they arrived in the dead of winter), but they had sailed anyway, because of past troubles even finding someone who would bring them; some among them had already been jailed for wanting to practice their own religion their own way and now, war was breaking out in Holland, making staying there nearly as dangerous.

Long story short, conditions were grave and half among them died that first winter. After some looking around, they found a village that was strangely empty and some cleared land and began to bury their dead and manage to survive as best they could. After some time, Samoset and then Squanto befriended the survivors among the English and taught them to farm and helped them to survive. (Later Squanto told them the villagers had died from disease; he was the lone survivor. He spoke English due to a long struggle of his own, beginning with slavers and ending with kind teachers and freedom, only to find his village gone. Squanto then made the Pilgrims his new family.)

A treaty was signed, which lasted at least fifty years, in which both groups agreed to help one another. Among other things, the Wampanaog were beset by hostile tribes around them and needed allies.

After a horrible series of hardships, the Pilgrims thanked their helpers and friends and benefactors with a huge feast. They gave thanks for weathering the storms and surviving in the new land.

This page will give you more information about the holiday. And some other facts, if you are curious, are provided here by National Geographic. 

For most it is a day to be with family, eat a lot of good food, and give thanks in their own way for any blessings in their lives. It also marks, however controversially today, the beginning of "America" as we know it. (This Mayflower voyage had also been the scene of the first "American" provisional governmental document, which is why that specific Mayflower pilgrimage, among all voyages - there were other voyages, before and after 1620, including by that same ship - is marked as especially important. And that is, in part, why its passengers are remembered.)

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Great post..the story of Thanksgiving in seven paragraphs. 

But..you forgot the two most important parts...Turkey (although you mentioned a feast) and FOOTBALL!!! :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

Happy Turkey Day to all who celebrate and Happy Thursday to those who don't...

Happy Thanksgiving, Tex (someone's watching 'the game' now which is why I can steal away to type Lol) and Madelaine (and Snugs - I'll save you both some turkey) and Dillon (blush! just call me Hallmark) and Tracy (what nice wishes for everyone!)

Hope everyone had a fine time today and this kicks off a wonderful holiday season for you all.

A very Happy Thanksgiving to you, Melita and to all celebrating - and SL in general. 

I agree with Dillon about you being the "Hallmark Lady." :)  My mind is still stuck back sometime in Halloween.

I give thanks that I'm single and don't ever have to hear football again!!!! (I never watched it but that incessant roaring sound from the crowd drove me nuts!!!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.