Windows 8!

SweetArashi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm in the market for a new computer. And a lot of them come with Windows 8 or an optional Win8 upgrade.

Has anyone encountered any issues with regards to running Second Life [Specifically Firestorm viewer] on Win8? I plan on getting a computer that far surpasses the minimal system specs to run it.

i have heard some disparaging things and that it better to stick with 7......rememeber vista?  you can get a computer that far surpasses SL requirements easily now without getting a new opperating system.......good luck........

incidently, i have a i5 quad, with 6 gyg ram and a 1 gyg nvidia graphics card, i never have a problem and lag is only a full sim.....

Windows 8 is fine. It's faster & lighter than Windows 7 on matching hardware. The main problem is [The Interface Formerly Known As...] Metro. You can replace it with a classic-style start menu and everything will be peachy:

Classic Shell

Stardock Start 8

IO Bit StartMenu 8

Pokki

Configure any of them correctly and it'll boot straight to the desktop bypassing TIFKAM. TIFKAM will still be there if you want to pretend your computer is a mobile phone.

There is one big problem - to me - with Win8. The touch screen.

Touch screens are ok - but not fantastic, due to inevitable smudge we simply would not tolerate on PC screens....erm, until Win 8 lol - but they are better suited to hand held phones or tablets.

It may not seem a huge thing, but moving a mouse takes minimal lower arm movement - and even then, many of us get repetive strain problems from time to time.  

Moving your whole arm, from shoulder elbow wrist finger extended, to touch a PC screen is an entirely different kettle of fish.  It's a royal pain in the ass, and a gimick best avoided.

Yes, Win8 can be mouse driven, but most reviews I read say it sucks, too.

SweetArashi wrote:

So I'm in the market for a new computer. And a lot of them come with Windows 8 or an optional Win8 upgrade.

Has anyone encountered any issues with regards to running Second Life [specifically Firestorm viewer] on Win8? I plan on getting a computer that far surpasses the minimal system specs to run it.

It takes a couple hours to get used to the differences, but overall it's really not a drastic change from Windows 7 that some reviewers have panicked about. You can still do everythinng from the keyboard, and flipping to the start screen actually goes a little faster than it took for the old start menu to draw, so it's a lot less intrusive than I expected.

SL is running fine, I have been in the habit of running SL under Linux because it was too sluggish under Win7, but it works aceeptably under Win8. The disk performance is much improved so texture loading doesn't choke.

• 2 weeks later...

Clear a space beside the very :matte-motes-sick: Vista 64 Ultimate you wasted money on and wait for Windows 9.

If all Vista users put their discarded discs end to end the curiosity rover could drive home. The addition of Win 8 discs will mean we can have a 2 lane highway to mars & back lol. 

• 1 month later...

Just a little extra information:  Windows 7 has always supported Touch Screens.  If you like having a OS designed for mobile phones running on your PC then Windows 8 is fine, otherwise it brings no advantages over Windows 7.

(Added this comment to another thread, but seems it should be noted here too)

• 1 month later...

I have firestorm, or usually do, and I just bought a Windows 8 laptop...i launch firestorm no problem, but then my viewer starts flashing colors, and making it impossible to see or chat or do anything...and its not just the viwer part, but like the bottons where like inventory and such are located too...any suggestions?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.