For all you sci-fi buffs out there

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil Deakins wrote:

But my outright favourite is the little guy in 'Thief Of Time' - Lu Tze - the one who keeps referring to wise old sayings like, "For is it not written,
'I'll go to the foot of my stairs'
?
".
I always pictured him as the little Chinese guy in the original 'Karate Kid'.

If you're referring to Mr. Miyagi in "The Karate Kid" - that would be "little Japanese guy." ;)

Phil Deakins wrote:

lol. That's the one I mean. He might have been Chinese
:)

The character, (Miyagi, that is) was Okinawan, the actor (Pat Morita) Japanese American. That's how I imagine Lu-Tze too (with a touch of Albert Steptoe).

@Dillon: I don't have a good picture; the one I found on Ciaran's blog shows the entire audience, and I'm barely visible. I might just recreate the look and post a pic if I have time.

Turns out I had a bit of time to recreate the look...

susan sto helit.png

I believe this is more or less what I wore... Susan as governess or maybe later on as teacher. The shape is what I normally wear, so might not be exactly Susan's "skinny but basically attractive" one (or "gammon" as Ridcully might put it). I've acquired the button boots and hat since the time of Pterry's SL appearance; both feel perfectly appropriate to me, although the hat makes the black streak in Susan's hair tricky to see. 

Kelli May wrote:

Turns out I had a bit of time to recreate the look...

susan sto helit.png

I believe this is more or less what I wore... Susan as governess or maybe later on as teacher. The shape is what I normally wear, so might not be exactly Susan's "skinny but basically attractive" one (or "gammon" as Ridcully might put it). I've acquired the button boots and hat since the time of Pterry's SL appearance; both feel perfectly appropriate to me, although the hat makes the black streak in Susan's hair tricky to see. 

Love it!!! I go around SL in Victorian garb a lot of the time.  That is a great look!

I never read books or others work as they can only corrupt my own pure thought, if I can't work it out myself then I don't want to think about it, call it vanity, to me it is an invasion of my own mind, I never watch programs on space, I never read books on it and anything NASA gets put on the ban list the moment I hear of it.

As you may have noticed the moment you quote anything mainstream I cut you off, I only want to hear YOUR pure thoughts, never anything you have read, I have obeyed this rule for almost 60 years now.

Boudicca Littlebird wrote:

I never read books or others work as they can only corrupt my own pure thought, if I can't work it out myself then I don't want to think about it, call it vanity, to me it is an invasion of my own mind, I never watch programs on space, I never read books on it and anything NASA gets put on the ban list the moment I hear of it.

As you may have noticed the moment you quote anything mainstream I cut you off, I only want to hear YOUR pure thoughts, never anything you have read, I have obeyed this rule for almost 60 years now.

Your choice. You do realise this thread is about science fiction novels and has nothing to do with space programmes or NASA. I'm an avid reader both of both fiction and non-fiction books which is my choice. There's nothing like a good book for enthralling reading and educating the mind.

I read some books with information about things I am making, I read about how they work so I can make things work the same way, but sometimes I mod them because I see things different, like wings for an airplane, I put flaps on wing tips in the 1970's just to control the air flow escaping from the end of the wing due to turbulence sucking it away, that's is because I could see  and model the air in my mind, it was many years later that mainstream makers did the same, if I had read books on it before hand I would have just done what mainstream said should be done and would have never learnt on how to control something most didn't understand or know existed, I think you are very brave to allow yourself such corruptions and then think you can create something original, my no, scares the pants off me.

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Your choice. You do realise this thread is about science fiction novels and has nothing to do with space programmes or NASA. I'm an avid reader both of both fiction and non-fiction books which is my choice. There's nothing like a good book for enthralling reading and educating the mind.

Wow, triggered an old memory with that. I don't know when I got the SF bug but it was very early. Somewhere around the age of nine or ten I came across a science fiction novel and after that there was no looking back. I remember being at the checkout desk at maybe eleven or twelve and my mother chastising me slightly for picking out all science fiction books (again). The librarian said, "Oh, well some of our best minds read this.", to which my mother replied, "Yes, but they only do it for recreation."

I think Mom was right —I never became a scientist. :-)

Kelli May wrote:

Ciaran Laval wrote:

Kim Stanley Robinson had an accout in Second Life, he was a guest speaker at an evet but he already had an account. I don't know if he's still around inworld.

Terry Pratchett did too, although I believe it was only to promote the book "Nation" when it was released. He did a live Q&A in-world which I attended dressed as Susan Sto-Helit.

Digging around to find pictures, I realise you know all this (apart from the bit about me as Susan) because you put a transcript of the event up on your blog.

Haha yes that was a great event, I wish I had better pictures but my PC back then struggled with any busy sim and that was busy that evening. That was a most enjoyable experience, some Lindens sneaked in too! Harmony was definitely there.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Wow, triggered an old memory with that. I don't know when I got the SF bug but it was very early. Somewhere around the age of nine or ten I came across a science fiction novel and after that there was no looking back. I remember being at the checkout desk at maybe eleven or twelve and my mother chastising me slightly for picking out all science fiction books (again). The librarian said, "Oh, well some of our best minds read this.", to which my mother replied, "Yes, but they only do it for recreation."

I think Mom was right —I never became a scientist. :-)

Great quick wit there by your Mom!

Well, the astronomy and sci-fit bug hit me early too, probably same age or a bit earlier than you. I never became a professional astronomer or astro-phycisist either lol but still retain the interest.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.