The need to designate mesh?

Deja Letov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Deja Letov wrote:

I would be surprised if it's only 30% that don't use mesh enabled viewers. I have run into so many people who can't see mesh. Many of my own customers have asked me what's wrong with my store, cause some of my stuff looks like weird giant blocks or other strange shapes. Czari actually sent me a screenshot awhile back of what she saw at my place once, I think it was a mailbox...it was pretty jacked looking. lol

Unless you are actually selling Mesh Building Supplies, you'd be wise not to use Mesh in your In World stores.

I am among those who have problems with Mesh Viewers (and I'd upgrade if I could).

I have started running into Mesh staircases and other things in stores.  Because of the way Mesh is displayed in a non Mesh Viewer, it obstructs my view of your store and makes it impossible for me to navigate.

I will simply leave.

On a side note, if you are a club owner you are hurting your self if you use Mesh structures in your club.

You lose not just one person but two each time.  The person who can't see Mesh AND their date.

On another note, neither I nor my GF will wear mesh clothes because the standard sizing is no where close to our shapes.

I've seen her RL picture and her shape is accurate to how she really looks in RL.  None of the standard sizes come close.

On a final note, if you are a clothes designer doing Mesh clothes and you are not supporting the Mesh Deformer project, what the heck is stopping you?

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I was with a group of people yesterday, many of them wearing mesh, and the subject of the state of the MP, mesh, SL quirks in general came up.  When I mentioned how mesh looks to me, the people wearing mesh began worrying what they looked like.  I snapped pics and sent them to the people.  It never fails that they say some variation of, "ACCCKKKK!!!!!  I look awful!!!!"  Kind of like the mesh mailbox Deja mentioned. *Grins*

I get to see more naked boobs and vaveejays than you can shake a stick at.

Alphas don't always work the way people think. I tell all my GF's that if they don't want to be oggled to put on underwear.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I was with a group of people yesterday, many of them wearing mesh, and the subject of the state of the MP, mesh, SL quirks in general came up.  When I mentioned how mesh looks to me, the people wearing mesh began worrying what they looked like.  I snapped pics and sent them to the people.  It never fails that they say some variation of, "ACCCKKKK!!!!!  I look awful!!!!"  Kind of like the mesh mailbox Deja mentioned. *Grins*

Alphas don't always work the way people think. I tell all my GF's that if they don't want to be oggled to put on underwear.

Wise advice, which links back to this thread. :matte-motes-big-grin-squint: (And some women were questioning the need for undies.  I didn't even think about mesh!!!)

Ceera Murakami wrote:

As for non-clothing mesh things, if there is any possibility I might scale the item larger or smaller, or link it to anything else, I absolutely must know in advance that it is mesh. The insane LI calculation system can cause LI to go to horribly high levels if I try, for example, to link a nicely formed mesh roof or column to the prim parts of the rest of a house. Again, if I don't know it's mesh in advance, it could cause definite problems for me as a consumer.

Much as I love mesh, it does weird things. The other day I set a 6 prim regular prim candle and holder to convex hull and it jumped to 208 prims before I said EEK and set it back to prim. And that is NOT unusual.

Deja Letov wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

. I tell all my GF's that if they don't want to be oggled to put on underwear.

Just how many would that be there martian man? What you think cause you're not of this earth you can just strut around being a man whore? 
;)

If you had any idea how the way some of the ladies in SL dress or in some places just strut around naked actually makes me blush you might not call me this.

You can somewhat assume many different things, if you are an educated shopper and you understand mesh, just cause it has so many unique qualities. I would definitely put mesh, as sculpties are laggy, compared to the same thing in mesh. Sorry, I had to say it as no1 else is going to.

Let me give a good example. Years ago, I made a utility belt with tools, all animated, of course. Everything, except the belt, were sculpties. When I first started playing with mesh, during the beta period, I was always looking for things to make, and I did all new mesh tools for my utility belt. Last Friday, a customer asked if I did an update for the belt, and it struck me that I never put the belt together with all the new mesh tools. The customer was not asking about that, he wanted the sound affects to loop. I still had to make a mesh belt, so I threw it all together, changed some things in the scripting, and updated a bunch of the animations, all in that same day. When i finally got it all together, the first thing I looked at was the Display Cost. The old sculpty version had a Display Cost of 5000. Now, I know the whole things would be extremely more efficient than the sculpty version, but I made all the shiny parts on the tools shiny and every part except the belt used bump mapping. I figured the Display Cost would be close to the sculpty version. It was 2200. I was somewhat amazed, as I really could have make it super efficient by putting all the tools on 1 map. At 2200, I don't think I'll do that as that is super low for a belt and 4 tools.

Heck, I might even add the Display Cost score to the sign also. If I were a clothing designer making mesh, I'd definitely put the Display Cost on it. Or..... even better, I'd do it if I made mesh hair.

Arduenn Schwartzman wrote:

According to my latest microsurvey, 22 out of a 168 people questioned can't see all mesh. That's 13%. Please do it for the 13%: Make clear whether or not your item contains mesh.

And as I stated above, there is the collateral damage.  If half of those 22 are in some kind of relationship, their patner will be avoiding mesh also, pushing the percentage up to almost 20% impacted.  Thats 1/5 of the Residents.  That is too large a number to ignore.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Deja Letov wrote:

I would be surprised if it's only 30% that don't use mesh enabled viewers. I have run into so many people who can't see mesh. Many of my own customers have asked me what's wrong with my store, cause some of my stuff looks like weird giant blocks or other strange shapes. Czari actually sent me a screenshot awhile back of what she saw at my place once, I think it was a mailbox...it was pretty jacked looking. lol

Unless you are actually selling Mesh Building Supplies, you'd be wise not to use Mesh in your In World stores.

I am among those who have problems with Mesh Viewers (and I'd upgrade if I could).

I have started running into Mesh staircases and other things in stores.  Because of the way Mesh is displayed in a non Mesh Viewer, it obstructs my view of your store and makes it impossible for me to navigate.

I will simply leave.

On a side note, if you are a club owner you are hurting your self if you use Mesh structures in your club.

You lose not just one person but two each time.  The person who can't see Mesh AND their date.

On another note, neither I nor my GF will wear mesh clothes because the standard sizing is no where close to our shapes.

I've seen her RL picture and her shape is accurate to how she really looks in RL.  None of the standard sizes come close.

On a final note, if you are a clothes designer doing Mesh clothes and you are not supporting the Mesh Deformer project, what the heck is stopping you?

I actually haven't started doing any structure type stuff with mesh yet, it's all been products i sell. I haven't gotten quite that brave yet. Though I wish I could because there are some amazing pieces in mesh I'd love to include in my latest build.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Arduenn Schwartzman wrote:

According to my latest microsurvey, 22 out of a 168 people questioned can't see all mesh. That's 13%. Please do it for the 13%: Make clear whether or not your item contains mesh.

And as I stated above, there is the collateral damage.  If half of those 22 are in some kind of relationship, their patner will be avoiding mesh also, pushing the percentage up to almost 20% impacted.  Thats 1/5 of the Residents.  That is too large a number to ignore.

I think it's even higher than that. I'll definitely be making a note of mesh on my vendors. Thanks guys!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.