Ping from 1500-2500 new motherboard

Nethya Emor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently I bought new motherboard and processor (new network card too) and since then I have been having some trouble with Second Life ping and long movement delay. The new motherboard is ASRock Z77 Pro 4, Network card is Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller. (In case that might help).

When I got the motherboard some FastLan installed with it but I have turned it off. Now I am curious what do I need to change to fix my 1500-2500 ping which is happening too often? Movement sometimes delays for 1-3s.

Have you upgraded/installed all your drivers for the new motherboard/network card? I would check the manufacturer's websites for any newer updates to the drivers provided with the hardware. You mentioned a separate network card. Does the motherboard have a built in network card too? You could try installing drivers for it and plugging your cable into that to test if it runs any better.

If you really get that ping of your new board then 4 possibilities come to my mind:

1 - wrong/outdated drivers for your network card

2 - network card defective

3 - you use a 1000mBit network connection but your network cable is in no way able to handle that speed.

4 - network cable defective

Thanks for all the replies!

First I went to the motherboard's website and installed everything from there so I hope it will all run smooth (FastLAN as well, despite it having a icon in the bar all the time). Also the network card is integrated on motherboard. The ping I did check in Second Life since my movement was delayed for 1-3 seconds, just imagine someone walking completely randomly and bumping into everything and unable to turn properly!

At the moment I don't see ping so high, but it tends to come in spikes that last 1-60 minutes I guess? Will reply again if it keeps happening again, my last mobo had no such issues.

• 10 months later...

The MB nor the NIC has anything to do with ping times that hig. See what it is to your router and to the 2cnd hop to the internet gateway. Again after that, its the Internet and nothing you can hdo. The MB are you kidding?

Triad, CEO Tiberious Data Mining.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.