Premium Accounts: Sometimes The Facts Seem So Hard To Find.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I see that once again LL is offering the 50% discount for Premium Sign up.

The past few times I have passed on this but am considering taking the plunge this time.

I know these two issues have been discussed in the past but am looking for current knowledge.

1.  Did the issue of losing all your inventory if you missed a payment ever get resolved.  I seem to remember a Linden saying this had been fixed during a User Group meeting but Residents at that meeting disputed it.

2.  Which is safer.  Paypal or a Credit Card?

Any other thoughts may be appreciated.  :D

I think this is a personal choice as each user has different needs.  You must weight the positives and negatives & decide whether it is worth your while to get premium membership.

I have maintained my premium membership since I joined sl but I also still own mainland as well as estate land so for me is my choice.

As for what happens when you miss a payment, I have never heard of this happening.  I hope it's been fixed.  I do know that LL will contact you immediately if there is a billing issue (of course).  And as for pmt method, I use either of those you mention and find both secure.

An additional question.

I know Premium entitles me to 512sqm tier free.

I also understand their is a prim bonus for deeding to a group.  Does it have to be a group that I own?  Or just that I am a member of.  A friend allows me use of land on their SIM and I'd like to pass the benefit on to them.

Actually, you pay less if you pay your premium fees annually.  There is also a quarterly payment method & it appears that is one of the conditions of this promo - you must pay quarterly & not monthly to take advantage of the 50%.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Land/how-much-does-premium-cost/qaq-p/1229013  <----- I think these fees still stand.

Thank you to everyone for your answers and for the clarifications.

While it has been said that "the only things in life that are certain are death and taxes," if any company could find a way to disprove that, sometimes I think it would be LL.  ;)

Perrie Juran wrote:

Thank you to everyone for your answers and for the clarifications.

While it has been said that "
the only things in life that are certain are death and taxes,
" if any company could find a way to disprove that, sometimes I think it would be LL. 
;)

This is so true ... only in SL, it is death and chat lag :P

Perrie Juran wrote:

I have used both methods and I have not had problems with any of them. Personally I prefer the credit card because if there are problems I prefer to speak personally to my bank, but it's just a personal preference.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

re: does the account lose inventory if a payment is missed?

When a payment is missed the account is suspended.  Inventory is not lost.  However to end the suspension the missed payment has to be made.  Some people on a yearly payment plan have whined that they have to pay for a full year when what they really want is something less or a free pass or whatever.  Put another way - people who refuse to/can't make the missed payment can't access their inventory making it 'lost.'

that fact alone is stopping me from signing up..

live chat would be great but ..

Paula001 Goldschein wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

When a payment is missed the account is suspended.  Inventory is not lost.  However to end the suspension the missed payment has to be made.  Some people on a yearly payment plan have whined that they have to pay for a full year when what they really want is something less or a free pass or whatever.  Put another way - people who refuse to/can't make the missed payment can't access their inventory making it 'lost.'

I honestly don't understand why that fact would be a deterrant.  If there were no repurcussions for non-payment, then nobody would pay.  This is a general rule in the real world - if you don't pay your phone bill it gets cut off.  So in sl, if you don't pay your access bill, your access is turned off.  However LL provides free service as well so you can always take advantage of that while your account is suspended until you pay.  Most other services anywhere don't have such a feature. :)

Perrie Juran wrote:

I see that once again LL is offering the 50% discount for Premium Sign up.

The past few times I have passed on this but am considering taking the plunge this time.

I know these two issues have been discussed in the past but am looking for current knowledge.

1.  Did the issue of losing all your inventory if you missed a payment ever get resolved.  I seem to remember a Linden saying this had been fixed during a User Group meeting but Residents at that meeting disputed it.

Any other thoughts may be appreciated. 
:D

pay very close attention to the fine print.

TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR 50% DISCOUNT This limited-time discount offer is available only for memberships on the Quarterly billing plan. Discount will be applied to the first quarterly billing cycle only, and all future charges will be at the regular Premium price; price will return to USD 22.50, excluding VAT where applicable. To qualify, Second Life members must have an active Basic account or create a new Second Life account. Discount offer begins on Friday the 24th of August at 8:00 am Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) and expires on Friday the 31st of August 2012 at 08:00 am Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).

you save a whopping 11.25USD.  if they really wanted to get a huge boost, drop the yearly to half for a week.

I haven't been Premium for the last few years but checked out the 50% off promo and saw that fine print.  I also saw that when one becomes Premium now they get...a dune buggy.  Well sign me up fast....not. That so reminds me all the promos one gets in WoW, for example, for various reasons: purchasing a year's membership, getting x number of people to sign up, etc. except in WoW the gift is generally something that would be very helpful in game - a faster horse, more powerful weapon, and so forth.

Seriously, a dune buggy??? 

Can we all say "Steam."

credit card is definitely more safe than Paypal. Credit card companies offer you protection against bad transactions, Paypal doesn't.

In other words, if the seller doesn't deliver the goods or services paid for (within 2 weeks I think, depends on the CC maybe) you get your money back with a credit card on filing a report, with PP you have neither the money nor the goods.

Now, LL will deliver, your premium status will be activated within minutes of reception of payment unless there are major problems outside of their control, so that's irrelevant. But still, in theory it's more safe to use a credit card.

And oh, you get more than just the right to buy mainland, 512 sq.m. free tier, and 300L$ a week. You also get access to phone, email, and IM support. If you ever need support, that's worth the money.

Rival Destiny wrote:

Paula001 Goldschein wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

I honestly don't understand why that fact would be a deterrant.  If there were no repurcussions for non-payment, then nobody would pay.  This is a general rule in the real world - if you don't pay your phone bill it gets cut off.  So in sl, if you don't pay your access bill, your access is turned off.  However LL provides free service as well so you can always take advantage of that while your account is suspended until you pay.  Most other services anywhere don't have such a feature.
:)

if i would know how long the grace period is before they cut you off...

i could reply to your answer lol

It's simple really ... you get an email from them saying that your payment method has failed and in the email, it tells you how to proceed.  If you cannot arrange payment by updating or changing your payment method then they ask you to call the billing line which is open 24/7.  When you call the billing line, they work it out with you.  If you  need time to pay, then you let them know and they will let you know how much time you have.

hth

In all honesty, they really should not have worded the discount in such a misleading manner.  I wonder how many people have purchased premium only to find that the discount only pertains to the quarterly plan and only the 1st quarter at that.

Anyone who just joins & pays for any other plan do not get the discount nor do they get their money back.  There will be a lot of people who will feel duped if this happens.  People know how these things work & are very aware of misleading advertising.  No idea who drafted the advert but it is very misleading.  Reading the fine print and buyer aware aside, IMO, it's sneaky.

Just saying.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Account/I-bought-the-new-premium-account-at-50-off-yet-ended-up-paying/qaq-p/1648813

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.