Looking for an avatar

Bridgett Xurina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to change up my avie but after searching and searching inworld stores and the marketplace my choices seem limited to mesh fairie types or a kind of squinty eyed, fat pouty lips, sugestively underage look. I have found nothing that really apeals to me so far, I am looking for a normally proportioned female avie with a hint of a smile. Modifiable shape and at least a few selections of skins for different makeups. I havent found anything that would make me spend my Lindens so far ......

There are plenty of places in world that sell shapes. I don't know if any of them sell the kind you want, but you should be able to find a bunch of them in inworld search (if it works...).

You can, however, create a shape yourself... Any shape you see or buy is based on the same shape you get when you ask for New bodypart->New shape from the '+' icon below the inventory list. If you like to tweek shapes, you may want to try that?

- Luc -

ty Luc yes I know i can play with the sliders to get a shape i like but there is still the problem of the skin, that is beyond my expertise :) I guess i will keep on looking lol or just wait for the trends in sl to shift more to what I want one thing that stays the same is sl is it is  always changing :catwink:

I think your best bet would be to customize one yourself. You must first buy what you like and wear each item.

• Choose a skin and shape and makeup that are compatible (otherwise the makeup might be a mess)
  • Choose your hair (this can be harder than it seems, most people will give you conflicting advice, choose one that you like)
  • Shoes (Make sure the pair you buy has an alpha)
  • Bald base
  • Eyes (Some like mesh eyes, some prefer more realistic eyes, totally your choice)
  • Eyebrows (optional)
  • Attachments (Huds, genitalia etc)
  • Jewelry
  • clothing ( a basic top and bottom)

Then when you are satisfied, click on the outfit button on the bottom bar, bottom left corner of the dialog box click save as. Choose a name for your outfit and save.

You now have a unique aviie that you can change into whenever you wish. Enjoy! :catvery-happy:

Bridgett Xurina wrote:

I want to change up my avie but after searching and searching inworld stores and the marketplace my choices seem limited to mesh fairie types or a kind of squinty eyed, fat pouty lips, sugestively underage look. I have found nothing that really apeals to me so far, I am looking for a normally proportioned female avie with a hint of a smile. Modifiable shape and at least a few selections of skins for different makeups. I havent found anything that would make me spend my Lindens so far ......

This is a store that has nice looking shapes.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/37702

A lot of skin places have skins that have different choices of makeup. LAQ is one for sure.

Here's a free hud you can use for a simple smile:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Smiler-Hud-Free/2196873

My advice: Shop for a freebie or cheap skin of good quality, one that suits your aesthetic. From there, craft a shape to fit it. From that point on, for a while, you can find other similar skins in  your budget that fit your avatar. Avatars usually sort of evolve and then most people seem to stick to variations of the end result they are happiest with. It may sound simplistic but that's usually how it goes. 

Having a general vision of what you want to be might be helpful as you navigate all of the choices available to you.

What ethnicity are you looking for? That kind of determines everything.

Never buy shapes unless they're free and comes with mod permission. No mod shapes are just complete fail, and buying another's shape is pretty much looking how another would want you to look and paying for that. Besides static poses, shapes are about the easiest things to make in SL. It's not necessarily the quickest, but it's easy, as all it takes is subjective judgment.

Also if you're looking for a mesh avatar then that's not modifiable, because from your first post it looks like you're looking for mesh stuff. The only 2 good mesh avatars out right now are Utilizator's AV2.0 and Yabusaka's.

Pros of mesh avatar:

- MUCH better looking hands and feet (it's scary to look at the default SL hand and feet)

- More realistic shadows on body

Cons of mesh avatar:

- Cannot edit shape in any way

- Must buy mesh clothing, and only ones that are designed for your mesh avatar (extremely limited selection). Fortunately however mesh avatar clothing are usually high quality

- Only 2 mesh avatars out right now, and one of them (AV2.0) is only in beta phase, and the creator refuses to provide free updates, meaning people who bought AV2.0 must pay the full price for updates, what a @#$%

For normal avatar skin if you're looking for a western skin try Tuli, cupcakes, or al vulo. I don't wear western style skins usually but when I do my favourite is al vulo.
If you're looking for Asian skins then it gets more challenging since there are less stores and much more difficult to choose a look unless you're Asian to start with. But it's also much more rewarding since you don't end up look like the 95% of the SL population who uses a generic tan western from stores everyone knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bridgett,

I think you are completely right when you said the looks in SL are following trends and currently the trend for human avies seems to be the "squinty eyed, fat pouty lips" type.

A couple of years ago, when i was upgrading my appearance and shopping around for a new skin, i could only find overly tanned skins with too much make-up. Therefore i decided to learn how to make my own skin (with similar software as photoshop, called gimp, which you can download for free on the internet), so i can still look pretty, but with a natural looking make-up and skin tone.

Since i'm not a painter or artist, i'm not able to make a skin from scratch, so i've invested quite some money in skin templates (PSD) from the marketplace and in-world. I got different ones from various creators, so i can mix and match the different layers of the templates in order to get a true original skin and not just a clone of one creator's imagination. Nowadays you can find very good templates for a reasonable price.

In my opinion the skin comes first and then you make your shape to fit it. I would never get a shape from someone else, it is quite easy and a lot of fun to make your own and after a bit of practice, you will see that you will get really good at it. Also, if the skin appears to have squinty eyes and pouty lips, a lot of times you can improve that by adjusting your shape.

If you like, i can try to create "a normally proportioned female avie with a hint of a smile, modifiable shape and at least a few selections of skins for different makeups" for you? You could show me some pictures/examples and tell me your wishes, so i have an idea of the type of person (and size/color of various parts etc) you want to look like. I don't want money or anything for it, i just enjoy making skins and shapes and think i could create something you will like. And i won't take it personal if you don't! Looks are very personal and i don't consider my efforts a waste of time, i really enjoy it.

Anyway, i'm not online every day, but if you like the idea, drop me an IM in-world and we can find a time to discuss it further.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.