Friend online or not online?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We made a test with friend about the online indication feature.

• Friend disabled me from seeing when they are online.
• I logged in, the viewer did not see them being online.
• My Dashboard did not show them being online either.
• But behold, checking their profile in https://my.secondlife.com did show them being online.
• And naturally the true online indicator script still works.

The surprising thing was that the web profile did show them being online.
Lack of consistency, or perhaps it has gone unnoticed from Linden Lab?  :smileytongue:

I've noticed the same discrepancy as of last night.  There now seem to be two separate online status states--inworld in the viewer and separately on the web profile. Since unchecking online status view permission to someone using the web profile has been reported to show them missing from the dashboard as a friend, this new "glitch" may reflect an attempt to disentangle those two methods of detecting online status.

At this time, it would seem necessary to tweak settings on both the web profile and inworld to control the appearance of your true online status to a particular friend. 

The web profile settings are under the gear symbol for each profile at https://my.secondlife.com

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

• But behold, checking their profile in
did show them being online.

Lack of consistency, or perhaps it has gone unnoticed from Linden Lab?  :smileytongue:

I think one thing that happens is the dashboard doesn't list them at all.  So you can tell which friends have disabled the info by not finding them in your dashboard friends list (neither online or offline friends)

Here's  an older thread that chewed on similar stuff:

At the time of that thread I tested it with a friend and found that behavior to be inconsistent too.

Coby Foden wrote:

• But behold, checking their profile in
did show them being online.

The sane and sensible part of me says it's not consistent because we've all got different computer environments and there's a whole lot of data travelling a helluva long way, and so it's bound to not be perfectly accurate all of the time.

The conspiracy theorist paranoid part of me says LL do this on purpose to set residents against each other.

One of the people from my multiple personality disorder asks "But why would they do that?"

And another of my multiple personality people says LL don't realise it's happening - is there a JIRA for this behaviour? And does it happen with the default V3 or on all the viewers?

As a slight segway to this, I tested with a few people the search inworld, looking for "Coffee House".  The top six results varied greatly, even between the two people who were using the Phoenix Viewer.  That is not consistent also.

Leads me to believe it's more to do with us all being on a different computer system, and the information scrambling up as it travels the miles from the servers to each of us individually.

Just a theory.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

did you try refreshing?

The refreshing of Dashbord page and web profile page does not change things.  If a friend has disabled me from seeing their online status in their viewer and they are online then:

• I cannot see in my viewer that they are online

• I cannot see in my Dashboard that they are online

• I can see on their web profile that they are are online

And as I said, however many times I refresh the pages the situation remains like this.

By the way, the newest firestorm (version 4.0.1.27000) has the old V1 style profile. In addition to it has in the profile also a tab to show the web profile.  Now in the situation like above, if I look the profile of that friend, the V1 style profile does not show them being online, but the web profile tab shows them being online.  Just like it shows in the web profile in external browser.

This discrepancy defeats the whole purpose of hiding one's online status from a friend (if somebody wants do it).  And as said earlier, also the true online status script still works.  So, at present it is impossible for anybody to hide their online status from anybody.

sorry i didn't see where you said you refreshed it ..so i mentioned about it working with changes like groups that i had made and had to refresh it..

i never checked online status..

but heck i don't really use it myself..i usually just don't answer IM's if i am busy..LOL

my friends have grown accustom to my being selfish that way..hehehe

bleh..she is probably making tea or a sandwich or getting L........ost

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.