gambling ring in second life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently discovered that a friend of mine got a new job in SL and she's very excited about it. I decided to head over and check the place out - it's a gambling hall.

I don't pretend to understand exactly what is and is not considered illegal regarding the SL terms of service gambling rules though I did read the page here http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_Regarding_Wagering_in_Second_Life

Anyhow it appears that my friend is hopelessly addicted to gambling in second life. I'm hoping this place may get shut down and others like it, too, because it's sad to see my friend destroying herself. Also if it's illegal can she get in trouble in real life for doing this?

So, thank you for reading. I apologize for my post being sort of hectic, I'm very upset about this situation :(

I did, and included the slurl and a screenshot and the person who owns the machines name. Is there anything more I can do? From the looks of the wikia regarding this issue my friend could get banned for playing the games, which would stink cause (like so many of us) she has spent a lot on her avi and has land and family etc.

have you guys tried an intervention with your friend..

i haven't seen the place..but there are legal games that can also wear out a bank account..

if she has a problem it won't matter if they are legal or illegal games..

i hope your friend gets some help..addictions like that are terrible for the person and everyone around the person that cares..

if it's illegal gambling i hope the Ar sticks..but it will only slow your friend down for a short time..

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Great way to advertise and make more people to go there. I didn't see any games there that were not in any other place in SL. Of course I'm not a gambler and don't know the TOS in this area.

/me leaves it to the experts.

/me notices your rank and wonders if your not the expert then who is?

Here is the bigger question "gambling" brings up in SL. According to your post, gambling is defined in part as "Payout in Linden Dollars or Any Real World Currency or thing of value" BUT Linden Lab states quite frequently that the linden has no value (mostly because if they ever shut down SL they don't want to be liable to pay all their residents with linden balances). So which way do you read the rules? On the one hand there is no such thing as gambling in SL because the linden has no value. On the other hand gambling can occur but then it gives the linden value and puts the Lab in a whole new world of legal considerations. Any bet what Linden Lab would say? :)

It doesn't matter how anyone reads or interprets the rules, its what the IRS thinks and the RL law states,  LL is a US Company and must abide by gambling laws in the US as well as the IRS rules.  Most states do not allow gambling or anyone to provide a gambling service, even if the service is physically located in a place where gambling is legal. The few that do require heavy license requirements and specific requirements that must be met.  And then the gambling is only legal when the resident and the service is located in that state.

In both cases, it has been determined the SL gambling is like RL gambling and since people can cash in lindens, it is treated the same as RL money for purposes of the law and taxes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.