Skirt

AshleyNicolle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You could do one using system clothing and a good ruched texture.  If you search for it on MP you'll see some examples.

You could also do one with sculpted or mesh prims.  The problem here though is that a skirt like that is generally tight to the body and it would be difficult to do one that would fit a broad range of avatar shapes. My avatar is correctly proportioned but I rarely find anything that fits it without a modification since most people's avatars have larger hips and butts than mine or are not proportioned correctly.

If you made a sculpted skirt and made it modifiable,  than the purchaser could stretch it to fit their own hips and butt. A resizer wouldn't be satisfactory though since it only makes the skirt larger or smaller.  So if it fit in the hips the butt area may be too small or big or vice versa.  You could include a resizer for those people who it would work for and don't know how to edit clothes using the standard edit tools, but also make it modifiable for those of us that do. I won't buy no mod clothes that are only sized using a resizer.

Even with mesh items using standard sizing I have great difficulty finding any mesh that fits my avatar without changing my shape which I won't do.  Wearing an alpha layer to "solve" this isn't a solution for me either, as the shape of the mesh still makes my shape look a lot different than it normally is. Once the mesh deformer becomes available though it would be possible as the deformer will fit mesh to the avatar.

That's a tough challenge.  Mesh and sculpties are a poor choice because they make it look like you are wearing a box, or maybe a heavily starched skirt --- totally unflexible, which defeats the whole purpose of having a nice, soft skirt.  The best you can do is build your skirt with many flexi prims, sweat over making a convincing texture, and play with the flexi parameters until you get the skirt to flow smoothly and softly as you walk.  I have had the best results by building a double skirt. The underskirt, with slightly different flexi parameters, moves through the outer one and creates a nice illusion.  It wastes prims, but sometimes that's necessary.

Mesh or sculpted prims would make a more realistic shaped  ruched skirt, and might be best for still photographs, but these don't move well. If you want one that is good for walking and dancing in, Rolig is correct in saying that flexible prims are the better choice.

I'd play about with flexible cylinders, cut into sections and hollowed. Use Ged Larsons LinkRez (or the free LoopRez)--info is here-- to form them into circular skirt patterns. Make multiple layers to give the ruched effect, and make a texture that shows the gathering of the fabric into ruches. You could arrange them over a base made of either glitch pants, a system skirt, or even a mesh skirt. A sculpted skirt is possible, but won't move nicely as your avatar moves.

• 4 weeks later...

I make ruched system skirts, tops, etc. by taking a photo (cell phone camara) of a piece of cloth (such as a dust rag torn from an old t-shirt), putting it into the shape I want (ruched, pleated, slight wrinkles, etc.), then taking the photo into GIMP. Then I orient it vertically or horizontallly, and add it into what ever I am making. You can hold one end of the cloth with a book or something, and then cut that off in GIMP. Start with a white cloth and then color it the way you want,

Until SL comes out with mesh physics then it's impossible or very difficult to make a good skirt.

System skirt:

- No, for the simple reason they look like a piece of film that's stuck to your legs and make your butt looks 3x as large

Prim/flexi:

- They look like crap, unrealistic, skirts are not made of rectangles and squares in real life

- Totally outdated pre-2007 look

- Low-res textures

Sculpt/non-rig mesh:

- They look more realistic, but only looks good when character is stationary, ie for photos, when in movement they look like they're frozen

- Can't move and conform, which means it'll clip a lot

Rigged mesh:

- The best you can do right now, they'll conform and they look the best when stationary

- They won't flow around in the wind like in RL that's because mesh has no physics in SL, but it's at least better than prim/sculpty/non-rig mesh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.