Best Way To Help A Teen?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think what you did was great. Some wouldn't bother, others would do just as you and try to be as helpful as possible. Since she is only allowed in G areas then I don't think Mature or Adult check boxes will even be an option for her to search. So she can really just search for things in the "Search" and go from there. 

Just by searching with the word "teen" in "Hangouts" (PG) I found a few places. You could tell her to search things she'd like to do, like go-karts, riding horses, hanging out, beaches, etc.

But really the G portion of SL for teens could be a little more helpful for newbie teens.

I met her again last night because she wanted me to see her new home that she had found, so I went to see it and found that it wasn't a house she could rent at all!!  She found it empty and thought it ok to just go in and use.  This is where she and other newbies need help because she had no idea you rented or bought houses and so on. 

It's reassuring that she contacted you again and didn't ask any more about pixelsex.

And I actually believe she had no idea about SL homes.  It's weird what newbies think about that topic.  Recently a newbie tried to give me a tour of my own house, genuinely thinking it was hers -- that she had created it, even -- presumably because "the game" made the house appear for her. 

Honeysuckle Humby wrote:

You say that my post comes across as if I didn't like this girl, which surprises me.  I have only known her briefly, spoken to her a couple of times so as yet do not have an opinion as to whether I like her or not!  She is polite, just wants to know everything immediately and because of the questions about sex after she told me how young she was I am just a little concerned for her because of what she might find herself caught up in here in SL.

I am only trying to be kind to a newbie (whatever their real life age) and have suggested she learn to make things and told her about the education sessions she could attend to learn more about SL.

I have tried to look for places to suggest for her to go to to make friends of her own age but as I haven't had any experience with anyone so young in the time I have been in SL before, I don't know what is available out there for youngsters.

As I am only talking to her, showing her how to rezz, explaining how to use Search, the Map, her Inventory and so on I'm pretty sure I am not going to be found in a compromising situation with her. And as I am not trying to entice her into naughty things or getting her involved in something that might not be right for her age, then my account should be safe don't you think.

It's such a shame that to be kind to someone just to help them means that I might even get into trouble myself. 
I would help anyone new, (or anyone experienced in SL) whatever their real life age and whether they were male or female.

I know because of the anonymity within SL we really don't know who we are speaking to in rl we have to be careful, which is part of the reason I am trying to help this girl if she really us 16 or even younger, because she does not know yet all that goes on here.

I'm not really wanting to hang out with a 16 year old anyway, so don't intend travelling about with her on her adventures.  I have told her that if she has any questions etc., then I will help her that way.  I just thought it might be nice for her to have someone to turn to if she needs to know about anything.

I'm beginning to think that maybe I should be less kind in SL!!

ITA - the problem is in the fact that LL uses the guilty until proven innocent approach when it comes to AR's.  Suspend all accounts involved until they get the issue sorted.  And these days, sorting AR's seem to take much longer than before.

So yes, it's a shame that trying to help someone could have unexpected negative results.

Since the teen grid merged with the main grid, I have been very conscious about who I meet these days.  I've always known that teens were illegally on the grid, but now of course, the population has increased.

Honeysuckle Humby wrote:

She hasn't asked any more about sl sex or babies so maybe she was just being inquisitive because of what she had heard outside of SL.  She was happily trying on new clothes in her new home when we parted company and I am pleased that she now has a base of some sort in PG land and seems happy enough with her lot as it is in SL at the moment.

\o/

16 wrote:

Honeysuckle Humby wrote:

She hasn't asked any more about sl sex or babies so maybe she was just being inquisitive because of what she had heard outside of SL.  She was happily trying on new clothes in her new home when we parted company and I am pleased that she now has a base of some sort in PG land and seems happy enough with her lot as it is in SL at the moment.

\o/

Well that's turned out well!

Teens are ok if you give them the facts regarding creativity, shopping, live music and all the other normal stuffs.

Help them out a bit if you can and most of the time you'll be rewarded with ocassional contact and fun yaks about how its all going for them.

Well done :D

Qie Niangao wrote:

I met her again last night because she wanted me to see her new home that she had found, so I went to see it and found that it wasn't a house she could rent at all!!  She found it empty and thought it ok to just go in and use.  This is where she and other newbies need help because she had no idea you rented or bought houses and so on. 

It's reassuring that she contacted you again and didn't ask any more about pixelsex.

And I actually believe she had no idea about SL homes.  It's weird what newbies think about that topic.  Recently a newbie tried to give me a tour of my own house, genuinely thinking it was hers -- that she had
created
it, even -- presumably because "the game" made the house appear for her. 

LOL!

If only that worked in real life. (Been house hunting for a while now!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.