Next 3 Nights Will Be Borking

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From 6 PM U.S. Pacific time for eight hours, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (beginning tonight) expect a lot of problems in Second Life. 

They warn us to make sure to save copies of what you are building frequently. Try not to rez no copy stuff. 

You'd be better off just hanging out and not trying to build or put out anything important because a Golem might eat it.

You have been warned!  :D

Scheduled means planned in advance. They could schedule it to occur in 5 minutes time :)

I assume it's something that they realised they'd have to do urgently, rather than the normal scheduled maintenance. Perhaps it's a result of the unscheduled maintenances that we've had lately; i.e. summat's badly wrong and needs to be dealt with urgently.

I get the impression from Andrew and Simon at their user group yesterday that this shouldn't be that scary.  Apparently this is just a planned operating system update of the sim hosts. If things go as expected, it should be like a very gradual rolling restart.  

(Under the hood, it's not the same thing as the usual weekly restarts; the sim software itself doesn't get updated, but rather the hosts on which the sims run get re-imaged. That takes longer to do the whole grid, but at least in theory, the downtime per sim should be brief: they'll just move to a new host and restart there, while their previous host gets the new OS image.)

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Thanks for the info Qie.

It would be nice if someone at the Lab would make this info more widely available. Not everyone can make the inworld meetings and this is something that affects the entire grid.

the statuspage is publicly available, anyone can access it whether you have an SL account or not. How much more widely available do you want it to be?

And as to "a lot of problems": I was online most all day wednessday and encountered a grand total of 3 sims that were down for a few minutes (one of them was restarted twice in the middle of a game tournament, causing minor problems restarting matches, but that was the worst of it).

I think Deej was referring to the extra information that Andrew and Simon provided during the server user group, which makes the whole thing sound less scary than one might judge from the wording on the grid status page.

On the other hand, that extra technical detail might be confusing or even misleading to some users, so I don't really fault Operations for an announcement that counsels an abundance of caution.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.