Marketplace is Misleading

Canadiana Pixelmaid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Beside every Direct Delivery item is quotes:

Use It Now

This item will be delivered directly to you or a friend in Second Life, unpacked and ready to use. No land or sandbox required.

This is very misleading!! Switching to DD does not magically remove things from boxes and there are plenty of reasons why vendors may want to continue with boxed items beyond the introductory phase of DD:

• Popup notecards with instructions
  • Popup notecards with terms of use
  • Group invitations for support groups
  • Registration process for products with external components (such as PSD downloads)
  • Landmarks to in-world stores

While I definitely DO like having that description there as a buyer, in order for it to be useful information it needs to be accurate! That means the VENDOR needs to indicate if it's boxed or not, NOT the Lindens.

Yes, so if the seller wants to deliver their items boxed, they have to edit that information on the manage listing page.

There are check boxes on edit item listing page of each listing like below :

Usage Requirements:  ◎None  ○Unpacking  ○Land  □Wearable

You can select different options among:   ( )None  ( )Unpacking  ( )Land 

When I first migrated to DD (before I found extra listing options), I was also quite confused by "Use it Now" which automatically added in my boxed items.

Again...shouldn't Linden Lab have announced changes affacted by DD to users instead of keeping silence and letting users to observe and find these changes on their own??

How difficult would it be for Linden Lab to officially provide clear information of what changes they made to affect every user and store??????????????????????????????????

These changes are not bad, they're actually good improvements, like DD the concept itself. But some people in Linden Lab are really good at making good things bad, then the whole product turns to be misleading, confusing, mysterious, awful, and unbearable.

Thanks Ry0ta!!

So really, it looks like the real issue is just that during migration it defaults to NONE even with the knowledge that most people will be transferring their items direct from their boxes and unpacking will be a gradual process.

BUT, at least now I know the option is there, I can go through and edit them. Hopefully it's one of the options you can bulk edit on a chunk of listings at once. 

What I find more confusing is that they tell people you need "No land" when you buy a house. New users will truly believe that and even before they wrote that on the MP page there were alot of questions by users about why they can't rez their house, or why their house gets returned (they built in sandboxes, not realising they needed to have their own land).

It's confusing even for merchants to know what option to choose, for instance:

Land Required - This item requires that you have access to land in Second Life in order to unpack and use it.

My items are unboxed so no unpacking required, but they do need land because they are permanent landscaping structures.

So my items are unpacked and ready to use but they do need land.

>Land Required - This item requires that you have access to land in Second Life in order to unpack and use it

Yet another subtle way of ambiguously discouraging new users from buying something; implying that objects to be unpacked in sandboxes will instead require them to buy or rent land.

The effect is less to produce a misunderstanding than to produce uncertainty and overload of incalculables in the user's mind; this effect being the most important deterrent to new users.

If people can just be kept more and more confused as they continue to try to figure things out, they'll tend to give up at some point, and probably before it starts getting easier to understand.

If you check the box for "unpacking required" it shows that message instead of "ready to use". 

It's an extra step that merchants should be taking to ensure they show an accurate listing :) I honestly haven't noticed if anything I bought that said it was ready to use actually came boxed. I can see how that would be annoying for anyone who doesn't own land.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.