Area Searching killing Internet Connection o.o

iCade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This is a VERY strange problem. Since yesterday, each time I try to use the Firestorm Area search in the client it kills me ENTIRE internet connection and I have to do a hard restart of the router to get my internet back. Since the landline is going through the same router it also kills that.

This ONLY happens when I try using the area search. Lost something on my half sim, tried to find it and my internet crashed. 8 out of 10 times I have used the area search to replciate this my internet and landline went dead.

Why would area search cause this? Why all of a sudden? Is my modem faulty? If yes why would it only do this when Area Search is being used?

As of today, the landline is going crazy, for two hous I could not call anyone and no one could call me. Now I can call people and no one can call me. Internet is working.

When I use area search both will crash again.

7 answers to this question

Sounds like data spiking.  Similar to a denial of service attack.  Buffers in your DSL modem are getting overrun causing it to shutdown which of course also shuts down you phone since it shares the same line and modem. 

Why an area search in Firestorm would cause that is a mystery, but since area search is unique to Phoenix/Firestorm, you probably should contact their support staff for futher advice.  In the mean time, you could try setting your viewer bandwidth down to the minimum 500  and see if that at least keeps your line from crashing.  And you may want to look for causes outside of SL.  See if you have excess inbound traffic when you are not running SL.

--Cinn

• Like 1

I replied to this question in the Technology Forum, quoting Trinity Dejavu on why she and Kitty won't add area search to Catznip. She says, in part, " it's an awesome way to stress a region. Basically it's the code equivalent of holding your mouse over every single object your viewer knows about and getting the data for it. It really doesn't take much for it to be used aggressively." So that could explain the data spike.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Area-Searching-killing-Internet-Connection-o-o/m-p/1483511#M4975

• Like 1

I had the same problem while on SL yesterday  while using the SL viewer. Was offline for well over an hour. Reset the modem. Did the MS connection trouble shooter, reset the system clock, the works, even reloaded my Ethernet driver then switched ethernet adapters (I have 2) nothing worked ......... In time it just started working again. Not good! This looks like a denial of service problem associated with SL.

I think Innula's got the right idea. Area Search does put a big demand on the sim's servers, so it's easy to see how they might spike and dump your connection. This is one for the Firestorm developers to watch. I'm sure that Ansariel is aware now.

BTW, resetting the system clock shouldn't do anything at all. ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.