What The Scam Is Going On?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So.. the destination website is asking for your email but not giving the 1000L as promised, yet they are reputable?

Yes, I always thought it was ok to sign up with emails too, until this happened to me. I don't mind Best Buy or Amazon or whatever getting my email address, but if I am not doing business with a company, then they aren't getting my email address, especially if they are offering free lindens :(

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got it wrong, Charolotte. The website isn't the one sending the IMs - they aren't offering money. It's the affiliate who is falsely offering money. Look at it this way...

You create a commercial website and you want people to come to it. You sign up to an affiliate centre. The affiliate centre gets other people who have websites, usually hobby sites, to put links to your site on their sites. They are affiliates. You don't know who they or their websites, but you do expect anyone who comes from their sites to be genuinely interested in what your site is about. Every time someone comes to your site from theirs, and signs up, you pay the affiliate centre a small amount of money, and the centre pays part of it to the affiliate.

In this current fraud, the destination is the same as your site and the IMer is the affiliate. You don't know each other, but you do expect those who come to your site from his, and sign up, to have a genuine interest. You do not expect him to be making false promises to people, just to get them to sign up in your site, so that he can get some of your money (via the affiliate centre). What you want, and expect, are people who are genuinely interested.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

So.. the destination website is asking for your email but not giving the 1000L as promised, yet they are reputable?

Yes, I always thought it was ok to sign up with emails too, until this happened to me. I don't mind Best Buy or Amazon or whatever getting my email address, but if I am not doing business with a company, then they aren't getting my email address, especially if they are offering free lindens
:(

I keep one E Mail address that is strictly for business purposes only.  No one else I know has this address and I use a very strong password on it.

I use a second separate address for businesses that I am not sure I will have a long time relationship with or if I am not sure of their integrity. 

Friends and family are on a third.

It's a minor inconvenience for me but one that I feel is worth the effort.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Yes, I always thought it was ok to sign up with emails too, until this happened to me. I don't mind Best Buy or Amazon or whatever getting my email address, but if I am not doing business with a company, then they aren't getting my email address, especially if they are offering free lindens

I keep one E Mail address that is strictly for business purposes only.  No one else I know has this address and I use a very strong password on it.

I use a second separate address for businesses that I am not sure I will have a long time relationship with or if I am not sure of their integrity. 

Oh! That's a very good idea! I could use a disposable email account to sign up for the shady websites in case they do payout!

That way, if it gets scammed, I can just delete it, and I wont have any contacts so I wont have to worry about my friends getting scammed.

Perfect, thanks!

Phil Deakins wrote:

Good
:)

I think I deserve a "well done" for always remembering to put that extra "o" in your name, without having to edit and correct it
:)

Yeah, you did well with that ;-). When I first met her I asked if she preferred Char or Charo. She said, "I just like it when peeps notice the o."

Just an update:

I contacted the site to let them know what is happening. It seems they do want to know because they emailed me to ask who the person is. I couldn't tell them, of course, but I did give them the URL for this thread, plus enough information to discover who it is - the affilate ID is probably part of the url when you reach the site's registration page, and I copied the actual message with it's link, so they can follow the link, register, and then check their log to see who the affiliate is. The url is probably enough though.

With a bit of luck, that person may receive absolutely nothing for his efforts, and may receive nothing even for genuine referrals.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Oh! That's a very good idea! I could use a disposable email account to sign up for the shady websites in case they do payout!

That way, if it gets scammed, I can just delete it, and I wont have any contacts so I wont have to worry about my friends getting scammed.

Perfect, thanks!

At first I used disposable but found it easier to just stick with one.  For the ones I'm not sure about I use yahoo mail.  They have pretty good spam filters and once you mark a message as spam anything else from that domain goes to the spam folder.

It just occurred to me if I save all the addresses  and use the reply all the spammers would wind up spamming the spammers after they harvest the addresses.

Perrie Juran wrote:

It just occurred to me if I save all the addresses  and use the reply all the spammers would wind up spamming the spammers after they harvest the addresses.

Except for one teeny weeny detail...

The From field is usually spoofed - not the actual sender's email address. I occasionally get a stack of failed deliveries - "not known at this address", etc. - because my email addresses have been used to send mass spam. The From field can be anything the spammer wants to use, so the spammers wouldn't end up spamming the spammers. It would be innocent email addresses that get it all.

Phil
Deakins
wrote
:

Perrie
Juran
wrote
:

It
just
occurred
to
me
if
I
save
all
the
addresses

and
use
the
all
the
spammers
would
wind
up
spamming
the
spammers
after
they
harvest
the
addresses

Except
for
one
teeny
weeny
detail

The
From
field
is
usually
spoofed
-
not
the
actual
sender's
email
address
I
occasionally
get
a
stack
of
failed
deliveries
- "
not
known
at
this
address
",
etc
. -
because
my
email
addresses
have
been
used
to
send
mass
spam
The
From
field
can
be
anything
the
spammer
wants
to
use
so

the
spammers
wouldn't
end
up
spamming
the
spammers
It
would
be

innocent
email
addresses
that
get

it
all

Except for one tiny detail, how would the spammers have all the contacts if they weren't actually using your email account?

Phil Deakins wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Except for one teeny weeny detail...

The From field is usually spoofed - not the actual sender's email address. I occasionally get a stack of failed deliveries - "not known at this address", etc. - because my email addresses have been used to send mass spam. The From field can be anything the spammer wants to use, so the spammers wouldn't end up spamming the spammers. It would be innocent email addresses that get it all.

true, true. 

but was a nice thought

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.