What The Scam Is Going On?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, of course, but that's just lying to me to get me to sign up. I wouldn't lose anything by signing up. A scam is generally understood as cheating money or goods out of people.

Incidentally, I don't believe it's the website that is lying. I believe the website is being cheated out of money - scammed.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For it to be fraud, it's sufficient that you dishonestly make a false representation and intend thereby to make a gain for yourself or another.   It's also fraud if you intend thereby to cause loss to another or expose another to risk of loss, but the intention to make a gain for yourself  is sufficient, even if the person you're deceiving doesn't lose out by it.

it's like those stupid shopper bots  that would latch onto you once you bought something from someones marketplace or inworld store.

the merchant has different bots hit you up each day with new releases or whatever..you finally have to mute the merchant for it to stop or whoever the owner is of the bots..

it's spam and from the sounds of it a spam ring in the making that is onyl gonna get worse if people actually do start going to that site and signing up or whatever they do..

i guess i'm gonna have to change my outfit for inworld now if it's going to really start hitting the fan!! \o/ Grrr..*grabs her derby and then opens her guitar case*

machine gun blues.png

Phil Deakins wrote:

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

I am just surprised there has never been anything to block/filter/alter the ability for somone to use a prim to fake messages from second life

The objects are called 'Second Life'. That's the only 'faking' there is. The messages they send are simple IMs.

Whether or not you want to define it as spam or scam or whatever term anyone may want to put on this I'd like to get back to one of my concerns here.

As far as I understand by default anytime an object acts upon you or attempts to act upon you like this one did you get a pop up message to the effect of 'so and so has sent you a message.'  With that pop up you get the option to either accept, decline/discard, or block/mute.

When I received this there was no such message.  Right clicking on the message gave me no options.  The only option I had was the standard left click on the 'x' to close. 

Maybe I am wrong on this / my memory unsure, and there could be a way to cause the pop up I posted with out the options or a way to track where it originated.  

I don't think that any of us question the fact that doing this sucks no matter what you want to call it.  It's just got me very curious about how it was done.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

That's going to be viewer-specific, I think, Pierre.   Which viewer/skin were you using when you saw that particular pop-up?

Firestorm Beta 2.5.2

(Yes i know that is an antique now but except for the fact I can't see mesh with it I still get the highest performance with it of any viewer I have ever used and I still have not been able to solve my problem with Mesh Viewers bringing my SL to a crawl, 40FPS versus 5FPS!  I have tried just about every letter in the alphabet now short of doing a complete reformat, OS and all of my HD.)

I've never used Firestorm but, as far as I know, it's a V2 system. I did try the V2 a couple of times and the indication of IMs that it gives are very different from V1s (and leave a lot to be desired). I assumed that the box in the picture you posted is a typical IM message box. Isn't it?

Btw, it's certainly spam even though it doesn't try to scam us :)

Phil Deakins wrote:

I've never used Firestorm but, as far as I know, it's a V2 system. I did try the V2 a couple of times and the indication of IMs that it gives are very different from V1s (and leave a lot to be desired). I assumed that the box in the picture you posted is a typical IM message box. Isn't it?

Btw, it's certainly spam even though it doesn't try to scam us
:)

It's a typical notifications box.  Not sure if we are  talking about the same thing here.  I think we are though.  Sometimes these little nuances can get so confusing.

I meant, is it a typical IM box in Firestorm? I don't know if you meant that it is - the words "notification box" could be one of those little nuances that is easy to misunderstand what's meant.

What I've received for half a dozen of my alt accounts is a typical IM, sent to email because they haven't logged in for many months. If they log in, they'll get the typical V1 IM notification and the IM can be opened in the V1's Communications box. I assumed that that's what's in your picture, but the V2/Firestorm version. I think that you were saying that it's different to a typical IM so "how is it done?" but I may be mistaken about what you were saying.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Alright, it's a fraud
:)
But it's not a scam for us in the way that "scam" is generally understood.

The
 definition of 'scam' is "a dishonest scheme, a fraud". That's the definition I have always understood and the one I think most people use.

I think it's true (in fact if what you learned is correct it's certainly true) that it isn't 'scamming' the person who follows the link. But it is still a scam.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I meant, is it a typical IM box in Firestorm? I don't know if you meant that it is - the words "notification box" could be one of those little nuances that is easy to misunderstand what's meant.

What I've received for half a dozen of my alt accounts is a typical IM, sent to email because they haven't logged in for many months. If they log in, they'll get the typical V1 IM notification and the IM can be opened in the V1's Communications box. I assumed that that's what's in your picture, but the V2/Firestorm version. I think that you were saying that it's different to a typical IM so "how is it done?" but I may be mistaken about what you were saying.

This was the first and only time I have received this. 

First thing I checked was my chat window to see who had sent it but there was none of the usual "so and so has given you or offered you or any other text there.  Nor did I have any group messages or other IM's. I was just out exploring by myself while waiting for a friend to log in.  All I saw was the pop ups.  These look identical to the pop ups we get when offered inventory, group notices, etc, except for the fact their was no accompanying message in chat.  I hope I am explaining clearly. I don't know how to better explain it.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

It's the standard way V3 displays IMs from objects when you're online.   I just made this:

instant message.png

Right, got it.

Thanks

I think that 99% of the time I am used to seeing this like what I got from a welcome mat with the accompanying text in chat and hadn't paid attention to the details in a while.  So I am also thinking now that the offending message could have been sent from anywhere.

welcome note.jpgIM.jpg

The blue one in your pic is a notification - the equivalent of the V1's blue notification box in the top right corner. The black one is a puzzle to me because it has the OK button, which IMs don't have - at least not in V1 viewers. Maybe V2 viewers do have an OK button in the their IMs.

Yeah.. i just called the prim "Second Life" and put in simple script to make it IM me with that message.

V2 used to put the messages in local chat, I think, and you could see where they came from, but I can't see a way to do that in V3 (unless it comes when you are offline, in which case it tells you).   I will have a poke round and see if I can find a way to make it appear.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

It's the standard way V3 displays IMs from objects when you're online.   I just made this:

instant message.png

Ooo. Now that really IS an official Linden Lab message :smileyvery-happy:

I am starting to think that a JIRA may be in order here.  That really should state WHO or WHAT actually sent the message.  It really is an open door for griefers and scam t*rds (add a 'U') to lure the unsuspecting.

Or is anyone aware of existing JIRA's I could add my voice too?

Phil Deakins wrote:

The blue one in your pic is a notification - the equivalent of the V1's blue notification box in the top right corner. The black one is a puzzle to me because it has the OK button, which IMs don't have - at least not in V1 viewers. Maybe V2 viewers do have an OK button in the their IMs.

It gets confusing because I still am using a V2 based viewer and some things I hadn't paid close attention to, especially as far as that black IM notification.  I immediately double checked my local chat and there was nothing in it.  Maybe someone else's memory of how that worked / is supposed to work is better than mine.  It gets so we take a lot of things for granted until something borks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.