OH NO!.. no merchant outbox for Phoenix?

Brooke Portilo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4424 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phoenix is an out of date viewer which doesn't have all the new viewer features.

In this case, it's reported that LL failed to tell the Phoenix team that this was part of the Direct Delivery implementation at this time.

Since then Kadah Coba has said they'll add it at some point.

Brooke Portilo wrote:

thanks for all the replies.. Phoenix ?? outdated.. lol i was still on viewer 1 until just 3 weeks ago.. i know i know.. i heard terrible things about firestorm so im not sure if i want to go that route.. ugh.. i love my magic box ..

The Phoenix code base is outdated in that it uses the Viewer 1 generation of code.  As such, it becomes harder and harder for the Phoenix team to code V2-V3 functions into it vs coding it into the Firestorm viewer that is based on LL's V2-V3 code base.  As such Phoenix is basically old generation code that Phoenix team has tried their best (and done a good job to date) to add new generation functions into it.

I have had both Phoenix and Firestorm code installed since the early releases of Firestorm.  I will tell you that until recently I would force myself to use the firestorm viewer on my laptop but the UI and bugs in the code naturally forced me to return to Phoenix for most of my existence.

BUT.... the recent releases of both the Firestorm and Phoenix viewers (to release the DD functions) has seen a change in my habit.  The Firestorm viewer UI (although still a bit different than the old classic Pheonix viewer) is very workable for a V2-V3 generation viewer.  I must like it and have adopted it because since the recent release, Firestorm has become my main viewer and I have no more desire to use the old Phoenix viewer.

I was in the same boat as you about interface - but I think Firestorm has reached the version that almost all Phoenix users should naturally consider it good / close enough to Phoenix to use as their main viewer.

Finally, you really need to consider adopting Firestorm sooner than later anyway because the Phoenix code will some day on in the history books as the Phoenix team will slowly stop supporting it - the good example is the DD Merchant Folder Function... Phoenix has not even decided if they will ever provide that function for Phoenix.

Brooke Portilo wrote:

thanks for all the replies.. Phoenix ?? outdated.. lol i was still on viewer 1 until just 3 weeks ago.. i know i know.. i heard terrible things about firestorm so im not sure if i want to go that route.. ugh.. i love my magic box ..

Hi Brooke :)  You sound like me.  For years I kept using the v1 Nicholaz viewers until v2 came out and Nicholaz quit making his viewers then.  I have been using Phoenix since it came out and love it.  Also, due to having an older PC which I cannot easily afford to replace atm, I'm unable to use Firestorm.

Back to your question...the new "Received Items" folder showed up in my inventory when I purchased the green bear on the MP homepage.  I have been weeding through and rearranging inventory a lot lately so all my folders are very familiar to me.  At the end of last week or beginning of this week (this is all starting to blur together now...lol) I noticed a "Merchant Outbox" folder that I know was not there prior.  I posted elsewhere on this forum about the possibility of using Phoenix for DD, which has already been mentioned here.  I sure hope it can be.  I realize the whole "technology marches on" thing and if I could purchase a new PC I would every year being a quasi-geek. :)  But my finances have not kept beat with the drummer and having to purchase a new PC when my current one works fine with every program I use, including two very graphics-intensive MMORPGs, having to buy one just so I can continue selling on the MP irks me.

I agree with toysoldier, the new firestorm is a good step forward for those that would love to see the v1 style skin.

I was like that too, had phoenix and firestorm and mostly used the phoenix viewer. But on my main system I turned that around now. I am 80% of the time on Firestorm.

Only reason for me to use phoenix is product pictures, I cannot get rid of the faded contours that firestorm or any other v2/3 viewer shows and that's annoying. Other than that: they have a v1 style skin, they have the pie menu and much more, I'd say if you system can run Firestorm, give it a try.

(besides, you can keep phoenix as well, if you only want to use Firestorm for the outbox)

Hi Benski :)  If you are responding to my post, please note where I said I *cannot* use any of the new viewers currently due to my PC not being SSE2 enabled.  I even tried opening LL v2, which previously ran on my machine, but it automatically updated itself to v3 and gave an error message.  Same with Firestorm and even the upgrade to Phoenix.

Sooooooo...I would love to try Firestorm and expect I will - hopefully sooner than later.  Just reiterating that I'm not being stubborn about not using a newer viewer but financially am unable to atm.

Brooke, I didn't see this mentioned, so I'll say it anyway. The Firestorm Viewer is from the same people that provide Phoenix. They've been very careful to put all the nice tweaks and user friendly features of Phoenix into Firestorm. They DID have to build on the LL Viewer 2/3 code base, so there are issues with rendering etc. that cannot be helped .. easily. But I'd tend to look with skepticism at anyone that bad mouths Firestorm yet praises Phoenix. Any outstanding issues in Firestorm that are not fixed by now are almost guaranteed to be traceable right back to the Viewer 2/3 code from Linden Lab. AND Firestorm comes with the same on-target customer support, knowledgeable developers, ease of use and general "comfort" of Phoenix.

I have almost no experience with any other viewers, but from what I hear there are other excellent ones out there. It's just that I landed with the Phoenix team and haven't had any motivation to try others. It ain't broke so I dang sure ain't fixing it. 8^)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4424 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.