Mesh Body

mirian266

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The neck problem will be largely the same for all mesh bodies, because whoever designed the body didn't necessarily use the same texture as your underlying avatar's skin, so there's no guarantee that the tone, tint and shading will even remotely match; for that, you get appliers, which is basically a HUD (sold at the store where you bought your skin) that applies your avatar's skin texture to the mesh body, thus essentially eliminating the neck mismatch. Many mesh bodies, though not all, are designed with such an appliers system in mind, and then it's up to each skin creator to provide versions of their skins for each particular system... again, not all skin creators choose to support all applier systems, for several reasons.

As for your SLink hands... I'd suggest trying that same creator's mesh body, "Physique"; not only it's rather well done and will solve the hands size issue (the S size, I seem to recall), but theirs is likely to be the mesh body with the widest support for its corresponding skin applier.

I've been looking at mesh bodies for a while now and last week I bit the bullit. The reason being Slink comming out with their physique body. I already own slink hands and feet and this body perfectly matched with them. I've been using a freeby skin from tutuy's until now and faced the same problem that this skin had become a big part of how my avi looks. One of the skins that came with the physique body matchged quite well with my skin but I decided that my new body deserved a new skin anyways. I settled on the Gemma skin from DeeTaleZ and was surprised that with a few little tweaks I got pretty close to my previous look but looking noticably better!

You can always give it a try with the physique demo and a demo skin to see what results you can get before buying. If you've already got a good quality skin, you could IM the creator and ask if they're working on appliers for the mesh body you are interested in. Keep in mind though that it will be a little more work to get mesh clothing to fit right and the alpha options on the mesh bodies never seem to cover the area needed. As long as we're not able to create our own alpha's as with the system avi, this will remain a problem when the clothing is not specifically designed for that body.

I myself think the better curves and streching alone are worth rebuilding my avi and mess around with clothing to get it to fit. But that is personal to everyone.. I agree that at the moment the physique body is most likely to get most widely adopted by content creators. There are already appliers from some of the more well known skin creators and lots more will follow.

One thing to check for with these mesh bodies, is how well attachment points line up. For example, the wowmeh body (no longer available anyway) is rigged such that the belly button is not fixed relative to the stomach/pelvis attachment points. Result being that you can't always wear belly jewellery for example.

Mesh bodies seem to have far more problems than they solve for my liking, what with no custom alpha support, no face morphs, no hand morphs, fiddly procedures just to change outfit, difficult if not impossible to script for with RLV, bad attachment registration, texture mismatch, variable support (or lack of) for system clothing. Just to give some of the issues

Hi. The Mesh Project body has a neck tattoo in each of its skin tones that for me did a wonderful job of minimizing the neck seam. You get it at the same place you get the free mesh body, hands, feet, dress, and shoes. Also, there are two neck options in the style hud, one to use with mesh heads and one for use with your standard avatar head. 

with the Physique you do have the ability for alpha layers for clothing.  As for the face, the Slink body goes down to the wrist, ankle and up to the neck so you can use your SL default avi there, though the Slink hands and feet work better. Slink does have 2 mesh heads available right now, though I stick with my SL default avi head since I've put a  lot of time into getting the face the way I like it.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

with the Physique you do have the ability for alpha layers for clothing.

I presume you mean that various bits of the body can be shown or hidden via a hud because this isn't the always enough.  That's fine for jeans, T shirts, long shirts but if the garment requires a more intricate alpha mask then unless it's provided in some form as an applier then I can't see it working.  Back to the hassle of having to apply something too.

As I said, each to their own, that's what SL is all about but for me, there are so many disadvantages at the moment (and unlikely to change with LL's future plans) that they're just not worth bothering with (for my liking).

I just got the Slink physique yesterday. I went with Slink because I was already using the hands and feet. My skin maker has an applier, so I was able to use my own skin (they did NOT have an applier when I looked a week ago, so that shows how fast things can change). I stuck with my own head and have no issues with the neck.

I love the body. The butt in particular looks a lot more natural in different poses than a non-mesh butt. My problem is that I have a tattoo that is very special to me and I am wondering if there is anyway to get it to show. Enabling the tattoo layer on the HUD leaves one with logos all over one's body, so that is not it. If anyone knows, I would appreciate it muchly. Thanks.

Cindy1150 wrote:

I just got the Slink physique yesterday. I went with Slink because I was already using the hands and feet. My skin maker has an applier, so I was able to use my own skin (they did NOT have an applier when I looked a week ago, so that shows how fast things can change). I stuck with my own head and have no issues with the neck.

I love the body. The butt in particular looks a lot more natural in different poses than a non-mesh butt. My problem is that I have a tattoo that is very special to me and I am wondering if there is anyway to get it to show. Enabling the tattoo layer on the HUD leaves one with logos all over one's body, so that is not it. If anyone knows, I would appreciate it muchly. Thanks.

I'm assuming that your tattoo is one you bought as a regular tattoo layer and not a full perm texture. If so, you are at the mercy of your tattoo maker to provde an applier.

Thank you. Yes, it is that kind of tattoo and I was afraid it would require an applier. It was made by a friend of the person who gave it to me...not sure if she has a business where she would have a need for appliers...plus, it is a one-of-a-kind custom tattoo. Perhaps I can find someone who will make an applier for me if I pay them well enough. The tattoo is important enough to me that I am willing to fork out for it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

First you need a posestand so you can stand totally still. Take off the mesh body and the alpha layer so the default body is visible. Wear the piercing. I assume you know how to use the edit tools and move things? Select the piercing and pull it away from the body. Wear the mesh body and see if you moved the piercing enough. If not, take off the mesh body and move it more until you can see it outside the mesh body. Now move the piercing in place. Stand on the posestand all the time, it will make it much more easy to select and move the piercing.

For the personal hud with Slink. First wear it. You'll see all the things you can use., You should have a tattoo layer with the names you can call it....  http://gyazo.com/a33e13243fde46505c29c5705f277799

You can see the center section has Tattos. Best to make a copy of the full perm texture. You'll then rename it, depending on where it goes, just like it's there on the hud....so TORSO if it's for your upper body, LEGS if it's your waist down. THen hold the the ctrl button down and drag them into the box at the top. As you can see in mine, that one has a shirt and pants loaded. You just hit that button then...be sure you copied that hud first. You can't rename it so you'll need to put it in a folder named for the tat.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.