Why we can only join 42 groups? I wanted more!Pq podemos entrar em apenas 42 grupos? Quero mais!

ManoTheArtist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi Mano,

I think the original design of the group software did not anticipate the way we all ended up using it. As a result, it's difficult for Linden Lab to expand group capacities while maintaining decent performance across the grid.

So, we complain about all the stupid decisions the Lab has made while marveling at the miracle that resulted from them.

;-).

Because the more groups we have, the more group chats are going on.  That means more work for the servers and greater lag for everyone.  We are lucky to have 42 groups.  Until about two years ago, the limit was 25.  Personally, I cannot imagine why anyone needs as many as 42.

The primary reason is the Group Chat bottle neck.

Think of a group with 4,000 members (not a large group at all) and those 4k users being in4,000 regions and moving around. Then people are logging in and out and the chat servers have to kep track of that and decide if they should send text to the new login's and stop sending to logouts.

In general there are 50 to 200+ people logging in and out per minute.

Multipley all that by 42.

Some server has to keep track of where everyone is and send text to them. The process does not scale well.

The Lindens are working on group chat. Just last week new code started running for group chat. While you won't see much noticable difference, we should see fewer chat server stalls. And it is much better now than it was 6 months ago. But, it is still a problem. Thus the limit.

Rolig has a point. While I tend to have 35 or so groups that I participate in, only 10 or so are used daily. But, the server has to monitor all my groups. I try to use Sub-O-matic subscriptions whenever I can. With a limit we do have to discriminate. With no limit... users just get out of hand. Its like kids and cookies.

• Like 1

On top of all the issues brought up with the previous answers, you'd be spreading yourself pretty thin to try and keep up with messages from 42 different groups.  Seriously, you'll be REAL lucky if you don't burn yourself out,  trying to stay active in that many groups.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.