Slow Down Second Life - Firestorm Tip - Activate Limit Framerate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In Firestorm viewer [version 4.6.5.40833] there are two settings:
MaxFPS: Yield some time to the local host if we reach a threshold framerate
FSLimitFramerate: Enable framerate limitation defined by MaxFPS

In Firestorm we set the MaxFPS to the required value and we set the FSLimitFramerate to True in debug settings.
We can do both also in Preferences, Graphics, Rendering. Tick the LimitFramerate box and set the FPS to the required value.

In Second Life viewer [version 3.7.12 (291824)] there is only one setting:
MaxFPS: Yield some time to the local host if we reach a threshold framerate

In Second Life viewer the MaxFPS has no effect at all. I guess it does not do anything because the LimitFramerate is missing. (The FSLimitFramerate is specific setting in Firestorm.)

Coby Foden wrote:

In Firestorm viewer [version 4.6.5.40833] there are
two settings
:

MaxFPS
: Yield some time to the local host if we reach a threshold framerate

FSLimitFramerate
: Enable framerate limitation defined by MaxFPS

In Firestorm we set the MaxFPS to the required value and we set the FSLimitFramerate to True in debug settings.

We can do both also in Preferences, Graphics, Rendering. Tick the LimitFramerate box and set the FPS to the required value.

In Second Life viewer [version 3.7.12 (291824)] there is only
one setting
:

MaxFPS
: Yield some time to the local host if we reach a threshold framerate

In Second Life viewer the MaxFPS has no effect at all. I guess it does not do anything because the
LimitFramerate
is missing. (The FSLimitFramerate is specific setting in Firestorm.) 

That's interesting, Coby. When I set the MaxFPS to 24 in the current LL viewer, it didn't seem to change the FPS, so I relogged. I also set the MaxFPS to 24 in the Singularity viewer because I have 2 viewers running simultaneously. The result is that the 24 FPS is operating, and it's shared by both viewers; i.e. the LL viewer gets about 87-19 FPS and the Singularity viewer gets the rest of the 24 - about 5 or 6 FPS. So changing the MaxFPS has certainly changed the total FPS I receive. What I can't say is which viewer caused it, or if each of them would have caused it on its own..

ETA: I currently have just the LL viewer open and the framerate is above 24, so that's not working.

ETA2: Now I have both viewers running and neither is 24 or below. The odd thing is that Singularity's debug setting doesn't contain either MaxFPS or a LimitFramerate, but I did set it earlier today. I'm puzzled.

Coby Foden wrote:

In Second Life viewer the MaxFPS has no effect at all. I guess it does not do anything because the
LimitFramerate
is missing. (The FSLimitFramerate is specific setting in Firestorm.)

More than that Coby, Firestorm inherited duff source from Linden Lab code.  It's totally commented out and the Firestorm team put it back in.

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-12021

just a something else to help with power consumption and gfx card load lightening and if have a NVidia

then in NVidia Control Panel

3D Settings \ Manage 3D Settings \ Vertical sync: set to Adaptive

what it does is set the card FPS to synch with the monitor refresh rate

my monitor refresh rate is 60 fps. When SL viewer goes faster than this then the gfx card slows down to 60

is also an option for Adaptive (half refresh rate). Effective cap of 30 fps on my GTX 660

+

text from NVidia

"Select "adaptive" to turn vertical sync on or off based on frame rate. Vertical sync will only be on for frame rates above the monitor refresh rate. This provides a good compromise between quality and performance by eliminating tearing at high frame rates while avoiding excess performance loss at lower rates. This option also reduces power consumption"

+

eta: NVidia Control Panel also lets you set up a profile for any viewer. Can use it to override any viewer settings affecting the gfx card as you like 

There's two other debug settings that might come in handy: YieldTime, and BackgroundYieldTime. The former would seem to be the closest alternative to MaxFPS for those who don't have it in their viewer (or it doesn't work -it sometimes doesn't, even if it's there), though it's somewhat cruder and in fact doesn't act as much as a “cap”, as it does as a generic, percentage-like reduction in framerate... still, for those with a powerful enough graphics card that it'd surpass their needs (and / or monitor refresh rate), it's something to play with.

The latter does something similar, but only when the viewer is not the active window (i.e. when you're doing something else in another program). I use this one a lot, with a rather heavy setting that sends my framerate all the way down from over 60 fps to about 5 fps. And it makes sense because, when I'm doing something else, chances are I don't need the viewer running as smoothly if I'm not even minding what it's happening inside it, or only keeping a lazy eye on it. Still, it makes a lot of difference and I use it constantly to give my card “a rest” when I'm distracted browsing the Internet or something.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.