Ping sim

tanya Dethly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My ping sim has been showing 1000msec since a month, yesterday at once it showed 830 msec, today a while back it was 525 msec then reduced to 352 msec and then 338 msec now when i logged in again it showed 1000 msec!! :\

frustrated! :\

I dont know what this indicates.

[edited] I downloaded the VisualRounte Lite Edition, could you tell me how to get the sim URL? is it something like "sim9187.agni.lindenlab.com" ?

5 answers to this question

Indeed, it is the time your internet connection needs to transport data between your pc and the servers of LL, but it also depends on how busy the total internet connection is. The more traffic, the slower your speed, the higher the ping sim.

But a high ping sim like a 1000 also means a bad connection somewhere in the entire internet route. You can see packet losses too in SL statistics. It should be 0.0%.

I am in the Netherlands and Belgium and my ping sim usually is between 100 and 300, but i had moments where it was 1000. 

I used the program VisualRoute Lite Edition (free) to see where exaclty in the internet route the problem was. Via the Help -> About in SL i got the sim URL. I pasted that into the VisualRoute and let the program do its reporting. In my case there was a server connectio point in the US hosted by Above.net causing the problem (it was not the first time). I reported that with a ticket and within a few weeks or so it was solved.

In another case LL reported me back that they had also found a bad hardware connection to their hardware server i was in. I know that LL uses fibre glass cables, and these are super sensitive to micro cracks.

It can be so many factors.

I hope this may help track down the cause :)

Best of luck

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.