speedtest results

tanya Dethly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

How much of Ping is necessary to run Secondliffe?

In my previous threads I had explained about me not able to log in.

My ping shows 85- 95 ms...when i tested with speedtest.

Is that ok? or the connection sucks and I have to get a new connection?

(edited) - I have Windows 7, got it formatted about 2 months back.

Processor - Intel(R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz

RAM - 1 GB

System type - 32 bit Operating system

Graphics driver - Intel (R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

Sound, video and game controllers - HD-5000-Microsoft LifeCam, M-Audio Delta 1010LT, Realtek High Definition Audio

Anymore fields required? :\

And yes, this problem arised a month back, I used it fine till then ..just all of a sudden it popped up, been using SL for over 2 years now.

- Thank you everyone for all your advises :) My present router is just 5 months old, so I think its probably Windows 7 thats creating the problem as I loaded Windows 7 2 months back, till then I had Windows XP. So you say 1 GB RAM is gonna be okay with XP?

8 answers to this question

Hello tanya,

I've just been reading through your previous threads.  I know you say your computer meets the minimum specifications, as per the website, but please would you edit your original post on this thread to add your computer's specifications.

Everything so far is pointing to a problem with your connection, but if you have insufficient memory, or your graphics drivers aren't up to date, or there is too much stuff generally cluttering up your computer, you are going to encounter problems with logging into or staying logged into Second Life.

So rather than you keeping on starting brand new threads, and us clutching at straws, making guesses in the dark, let's have your full system specifications, and take it from there.

Hello tanya. Informative link about ping ms generally below:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?referrerid=109801&t=576877

My ping ms at http://www.speedtest.net/ is 20-21 but as you can read 68-95 is normal also. As lower as better. In world my ping sim is 180-200 at home (Eastern Europe). Theoretically you need at least 1 Mbps internet speed to run sl smoothly.

Hello Tanya, I read your previous threads and I have concluded that the problem is your router. How old is your router? I had this same exact problem a year ago or so. One day all of a sudden my connection to SL started behaving the same way as you explain. My router was about 5 years old, once I replaced it things started working fine again.

I will also like to add that if you are lagging bad that is because of your low RAM and graphics card. Windows is very bad at knowing how to allocate resources. If you have other programs open that are using your RAM at the same time as you are trying to use SL this will cause SL to slow to a crawl. However I just add this here as advice, I am certain that your problem is a faulty router. 

• Like 2

The ping time is excellent, but your computer specs are less so.

Intel graphics chips are not known for working well with SL.  And 1 GB of RAM is way too little to run Windows 7, let alone SL.  You have an excellent sound card, though...you should save that Delta 1010 and put it in your next computer.

• Like 1

Her specs are very low as I explained, however, she does state that she had been using SL fine before this started all of a sudden. Assuming she meant "using fine before" was with the same machine with the same specs then we can discard that as being the problem of her current issues. I still believe it is her router.

@O.P. Do you have a friend who may have a spare router laying around? If so, try borrowing it and see what the results are, if it fixes your current problem then you know what you need to do is buy a new one.

The OP did not say what viewer she is using or if the viewer she is using now is the same viewer she was using when SL "ran fine". The G33/G31 Express chipset is very low end and has never been known to work very well with SL.......low settings using a viewer based on the 1.23 LL viewer code does "okay" but mid to high often won't work at all (even on the older viewer code).

The OP also completely changed her operating system. XP does not have many bells and whistles enabled by default..........Windows 7 does. 1 gig of system RAM using Windows 7 is just about half the RAM Win 7 needs with the Aero features enabled......the operating system is taking almost the entire system RAM to keep itself running. There is next to nothing left for video RAM when, since the onboard Intel chipset needs to get from the system. Even with all the Aero turned off, there is very little left for video RAM. The OP's ping times are good......that is not her problem. She did not say what the packet loss is........and that could be a problem (more than 2% will raise holy hell with connection to the SL servers). But, still, it's doubtful that packet loss is the problem either. The fact that there is so little system RAM and a video adapter that has no video RAM of it's own is a very good reason to assume that the problem is with the system not haveing enough RAM and the system not having a video adapter that is fully capable of running SL. There is no indication that the router is failing..........routers tend to last for years before failing. A reboot of the router may help......but the specs provided say that the problem lays where Lindal said it lays. A weak system for SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.