What is the standard sizes for mesh clothing? (Blender)

Chriss Daysleeper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Most of my clothing comes in 5 "standard sizes":  XXS, XS, S, M, L.  You can find free shapes on MP, load them into blender, and alter things to fit the standard sizes.

Here is the first of several free standard size shape sets that popped up today:  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/JJ-Sammi-Sample-Mesh-Standard-Shapes/4896857   Note, not all the body shape sliders are standardized, there are significant differences from one standard shape to the other.  My own default shape is XS, but I still have to fiddle to get things to fit right. And a lot of stuff only fits if I stand still, some designers are much better than others at getting things to work well when you start to dance.

Here is a tutorial for how to do it in Blender:  

Happy Blending!

Chic Aeon wrote:

Just a
not
on the post from Chriss. I am a blogger and have noticed that many designers are not including the XXS size. There is also an XL size. So "five standard sizings" can be interprited in different ways.

Lol... at first, I thought you meant to write knot... like a knot on a fence post.

...Dres (Don't mind me.... I'm lost.)

Standard sizes are labeled differently for men and women.

Women's goes from XXS to L.

Men's goes from XS to XL.

- Probably a psychological hangup choice of the originators of the sizing convention.

It was basically created by a couple of mesh clothing makers (I had thought 'coldlogic's team, but I seem to be wrong on that), and then promoted around the grid with some freebies to get others on board.

The blog originating many of the details is here:

https://bloggingsecondlife.wordpress.com/the-stores-creators-lists/mesh-stores-using-standard-sizing/

My own take on some common confusion issues in it was written up here:

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/mesh-clothes-dont-care-if-youre-tall-or-short-thick-or-thin-they-care-about-stretch/

While I was originally hesitant to be supportive of it (I have never found the survey they claim to have based it on, nor its resulting data), I've found that a few of the sizes map well to a proportionate avatar, and so have come to embrace it. XS and S work very well on human-sized proportionate female avatars. Info on that is in my signature.

I have to try it with a male avatar that wasmade proportionate, as I have yet to make such an avatar.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.